For fun

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

For fun

Post by Kevin »

Not sure if this will play. No play button in the preview but I will try anyways.

This is just a clip of killing a hog fish with a sling. I think this sling will be my primary instead of the gun from now on. Lots of fun.

Carl

Re: For fun

Post by Carl »

We get redirected and Clip plays well.
Cool, never saw a sling before. Seems safer then swimming with a loaded speargun.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Good breath-hold time, Kevin. I've used one referred to as a Hawaiin Sling that is simple and safe; just hook the rubber hose with thumb and draw back and point. As Carl stated, safer than a spear gun under load.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Simple like a bow and arrow.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hawaiian sling it is. Basically a thick wood dowel with a hole drilled through it and some surgical like tube tied to it. Hated it at first but I am getting more comfortable with it. We follow the same basic rules with the spear gun as with firearms but they are not nearly as safe as using a sling. Advantage of a sling is much quieter and you can usually get closer to the fish. Reloads are much faster and no trigger to fail at the wrong time. Drawback, shoot something larger and you might me chasing it for a while. Good exercise though. That particular hog was not a trophy and the shaft went clean through and continued for about another 8-10 feet.

Mounted camera to the sling and cant wait to try it out.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Try a pole spear with a rubber on the back end. Just side it back and clamp your hand down to hold it cocked. Take less. Effort than a sling to keep cocked, cuz those stupid hogs always go hide just as you're ready to shoot. Also a six foot pole spear can poke the nose of a nosy visitor examining your kill. Same idea just easier to keep cocked.
Bill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

In the Bahamas all we are legally allowed to use is Hawaiian Slings or Pole Spears.
The locals swear by Hawaiian Slings. I saw a guy pull up a 90 pound Rock Fish (grouper) and he bent the shaft around the body like a pretzel in order to keep the fish from getting loose.
I prefer a Pole Spear, just a creature of habit,and I don't like chasing after the shaft when I miss with a sling. It is VERY sporty to use a sling. If you have any interest in the history of this look up the Pinder Brothers. They were champions back in the 1950's and forward. Some really great stories of them swimming miles with no snorkels dragging giant Jewfish, or even Sailfish. Image http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... AG1130156/
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Good one Kevin, your aim and shot was a picture of concentration!

We 're 'taught' to grip the wood or plastic handle in our palm 'underhand' at arms length, hold the rubber sling with spear hooked in to the steel holder 'sidehand' near the steel holder, draw back, hold all steady, aim and 'fire'.

As SteveM says Hawaiian slings are what most of us Bahamians use, pole spears with the rubber sling attached are too short distance for most fish and spear guns are illegal here.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285