Bertram 31 half mold

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Re: Bertram 31 half mold

Post by Navatech »

JP Dalik wrote:I second Buju's comment.
Then please explain what exactly was "in bad taste" as I still don't get it.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:Please play nice, fellas......
I had already written up a full response to ianupton but then I saw your post and realized it isn't worth the trouble. If a person is determined to view your actions in a bad light arguing about it isn't going to change their mind.

Thanks for getting me to think straight.
Buju

Post by Buju »

NT, I'm not sure what Ian has do with anything?

To begin, I agree with your rationale 100%. If you really want it, then get it immediately. Promises over the phone are just that, esp. with the craigslist crowd... but if the guy is a ex Bertram employee- I'm gonna put him a few notches above the Craigslist crowd and hopefully his word is good.

What I found to be in poor taste is how you brought your idea across:
Bertramp had already took control of the wheel, contacted the guy by email & phone, and showed the initiative to get the ball rolling, and posted his intentions publicly on the forum. Which was a good thing- no one else was making a move.
Then you post "that's nice, but I got a guy- blah blah" which was highly discrediting and condescending towards Bertramp and the initiative he had already undertaken.
If you truly wanted the mold so badly, you could have easily made contact with the owner prior to Bertramp doing so.
If you truly wanted to simply secure the deal, and thought 'your guy' would be the way to go, then the correct path would have been to send Bertramp a
PM entailing your concerns of it slipping away before his SFL arrival, and your ability to direct someone to go and pick up said mold, and see if the seller is even interested in receiving a paypal transaction....and then see what Bertramp thinks of the proposition, and proceed from there.

But by simply posting what you did, it came across in poor form, with bad etiquette, and with disingenuous intentions.
You certainly did not offend me, probably not Bertramp either. We're a pretty thick skinned group. I just tend to call it like I see it, and I found that to be handled with very little tact or taste.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

mike ohlstein wrote:Please play nice, fellas......
Wow
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Buju wrote:What I found to be in poor taste is how you brought your idea across
I realize that this is a very US centric board (at least I'm not aware of non US members) but possibly you could (should?) make an allowance for people who do NOT have English as their first language?!... Also, speaking of taste and tact, do you think you could have possibly contacted me by PM to ascertain what I had in mind before making an assumption about my intentions?!...

Nevertheless, I consider this issue another misunderstanding and as far as I'm concerned this is over and done with. Water under the bridge.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Navatech wrote: Also, speaking of taste and tact, do you think you could have possibly contacted me by PM to ascertain what I had in mind before making an assumption about my intentions?!...

Which I just did.

Guys, let's drop it before this thread gets locked.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

where has this mold been hiding?
if there was a demand for these he would not be selling the mold.
Im thinking if he had someone to still make them why NOT still make them and sell them for the $200 a piece he claims you can charge selling them?

that mold will most likely need a good 3-5 hours of prep time before the first part can be pulled from it, if someone doesnt take the necessary precautions prior to trying to lay one up the mold could easily become damaged possibly ruined all together
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Let's drop it.
I will get the mold as soon as possible, hope that works for all.
If I can do quicker, I will.

In reality, probably 90% of the folks that would want the mold or a half hull are on here.
Even the Bertram Corp doesn't really have much interest in the boats from 40 years ago.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Buju

Post by Buju »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: that mold will most likely need a good 3-5 hours of prep time before the first part can be pulled from it, if someone doesnt take the necessary precautions prior to trying to lay one up the mold could easily become damaged possibly ruined all together
I was hoping Robbie would chime In here.
Yes, of course mold prep, wax, and release are crucial prior to any layup in it.

Robbie, I officially throw my vote in the hat for you - ie: Raybo Marine to do the half hulls... Congrats sir! You must be thrilled.;)
I simply do not have the facilities compared to a shop like yours. I would literally be doing this under a canopy in my yard in KL... which can obviously be done- but at your shop it'd be more of an afterthought than an undertaking.
If you're not interested, and if no one else grabs the bull by the horns (Joe E?) then I will not back out.
I'm simply thinking someone else could do them more efficiently, complete them faster, etc.
Last thing I want is a sandbox full of frustrated faithful... with me being the source of the frustration.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm betting Rob would be happy to take it on if he could set up shop under a canopy in Key Largo!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
luis

Post by luis »

Navatech wrote :
I realize that this is a very US centric board (at least I'm not aware of non US members)

Now thats a question of Geography cause I really, till now, realise that I am in the USA , what I consider an honour and that could give me better prices for parts for my Dodge Ram and for my Bertram 31.
Most unfortunately , I still live in Portugal and have to pay lots of taxes for parts and whatsoever.
I think that now we gonna miss more, that Uncle Vic is not around... without intending to offend anyone and always with a good and happy mood.

All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Buju

Post by Buju »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I'm betting Rob would be happy to take it on if he could set up shop under a canopy in Key Largo!
Thats funny... Here's a picture of one of my last "spray booths" I built on a job site. We had 97 of those 7' tall mahogany louver doors to sand, clean, and shoot clear onto.

It looks nice and inviting in the pic... but in reality it's a hot and slightly miserable place to work because your stuck there working, watching all the other folks out there paddleboarding in bikinis, wake boarding, poling for tarpon in the morning, etc... Nose to the grindstone and get it done though...
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

still dont feel bad for you Buju, lol

Buju

Post by Buju »

Damn Robbie... You go and put it like that, and I'm gonna full on agree with ya.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It looks nice and inviting in the pic... but in reality it's a hot and slightly miserable place to work because your stuck there working, watching all the other folks out there paddleboarding in bikinis, wake boarding, poling for tarpon in the morning, etc... Nose to the grindstone and get it done though...[/quote]

Bikinis huh. Tough job. You should see what I get to look at all day.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I am sure this was posted before----but the following company makes a model---$430.00

http://www.tridentstudio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:still dont feel bad for you Buju, lol

Yeah Buju, you were asking for it with that picture.
You aint gonna get much sympathy from guys in the NorthEast.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Buju,

No sympathy from us up here! Maybe I'll print I nice color picture of your "workshop" and drop it off to hang in the Raybo shop....Please provide a more updated photo to include paddleboarders and bikinis....
Buju

Post by Buju »

Ummmhmmmph... Come on down then, I need to hire some guys right now anyways.
You'll begin to see the light after one day of erecting 40' ladders, climbing up and down them continuously, with a 50lb bucket, working out of it with a 1&1/4'' nap roller- extended on a 16' ext. pole... In 90 degree temps, with 90% humidity.
Or suited up in full tyvek, with respirator, spraying epoxy primer & 2 part urethane on 600' on aluminum handrail in the sun.
Or up on a 4 level baker scaffolding, sanding down a cedar t&g ceiling in a house with no AC on, for 8 hrs a day for 2 weeks straight....
Talk about physical exhaustion and dehydration... ugh.

But yeah, that picture is tempting... until you see the 100 louver doors that need to be thouroghly sanded on both sides, twice.
It was one of the more visually appealing jobsites. And to cap it off, I believe that was in December... Should have kept that to myself.

Accepting applications. Starting immediately, lousy pay & grueling work, in a tropical paradise location which you'll be too exhausted to ever appreciate.
John F.

Post by John F. »

But at the end of the day you're there....and it looks great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Well .... due to all of the recent "hub-bub" regarding the mold, I took the grief from the wife and the mold is, as we speak, in the back of her car in Ft. Lauderdale.
She's coming to LI this weekend and it's gonna cost me an extra nice dinner.
Purchase price was $300 and it's ours....... Can you say "YEAH BAY BAY !!"
Next step is to find someone that can make 'em.
There was al lot of interest, so how about $25 a head x 12 = $300
My thoughts are/were as follows:
When the halfs are being made, there is a $25 surcharge per hull for folks that didn't do the initial buy-in and as much proceeds as possible go to the website.
As far as I am concerned, if "The Good Captain" has an interest in making them .... he has first shot and can be the keeper of the mold.
Comments please ...
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

By the way...this guy worked 18 years at Bertram and my wife said he was an extremely nice gentleman and happy it was going to Bertram enthusiasts.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Nice work, now we just need a full name and address so we can send you the money. outstanding.....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Buju someone recently reminded me, work sucks until you don't have a job! Regardless Key Largo looks beautiful...

I can throw down $25 but if slots are filled I am happy to pay the surcharge. Would love to see Capt Pat make them or Rob if they wanted. I also echo the importance of keeping this in the family with a succession plan. Would be great to see it also support the site a bit.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
PO Box 778
Sag Harbor, NY 11963

I will keep a list of the contributors and have full intention of being one of the contributors.
It can stay in FL until we know where it's going for sure.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Buju

Post by Buju »

Nicely done Sir... I figured the guy would be a cut above the normal Craigslist riff raff.

Again, I'd like to bow out to make room for someone with more facility and time to make them.
But if no one steps up, I will certainly do them.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Steve checks in the mail,thanks again....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

check sent
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

[quote="PeterPalmieri"]Buju someone recently reminded me, work sucks until you don't have a job!

I unfortunately had that experience a few years back and no truer words were ever spoken.
Not only does it screw up your finances, but if you have been raised with the mentality of you're in school or working or retired it wreaks havoc on the brain.
I don't have the right upbringing for Welfare .... thank goodness !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ill get a check out to you.
thanks for the foot work steve
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Buju

Post by Buju »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Buju someone recently reminded me, work sucks until you don't have a job! Regardless Key Largo looks beautiful...
I know, I know. Wasn't trying to bellyache about work... I chose this path, and I accept it wholeheartedly.
Was just trying to communicate that working/living here year round is an entirely different thing than coming down on vacation...
Vacation you get to enjoy it to the fullest.
Work, you get to watch others enjoy the very same conditions that make it miserable to work in, while you're fully aware of what your missing by being at work.
Wah, wah, wah... I know. Someone post up another snowed in scene so I shut my ungreatful yap...
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Check is on-the-way.
Harry
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I am in-check in the mail
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Count me in... I would absolutely love a half...

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

In the mail in the AM! Nice work!!!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Great job. My money will be on it's way and to remind everyone, since I still need to do it, don't forget we have the fund raiser for the good Capt.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Steve "Bertramp", Check's in the mail.
Two items to note here guys.
First, sure would be nice for those of us who don't know everyone's names and see only monikers that you choose, to ask you to sign your posts. When I reply to a post for which there is no name I feel a bit distant. Maybe just me but . . . On the profile page there's a place for User Name but not an optional place for real name. As noted a few posts back we are a family and personally I like addressing my family members by name, and not just hey, a55 h0le.

Second, while writing my check to Steve I realized that I had committed to supporting our sandbox as always with some $$$ and had not completed that task. If any of the family have not completed that, while your checkbook is in hand make it out to Patrick McCrary, 834 Scott Drive, Llano, TX 78643.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Steve, Nice job my friend, My check is on the way as well..I would like just a blank half as well..I think I can handle a paint job and a few custom add ons..can see it hanging on my office wall now..sweeeeeeeet...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Steve; you stepped up to the plate and got it done for the home team. Check is forthcoming.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

http://s810.photobucket.com/user/bertra ... 6131671734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 31/2 = 15.5 residing in Ft Lauderdale .... glassy !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

I'll get a check in the mail when I get off duty Monday. I have no problem pulling parts if someone else isn't interested or we can share the load. I can do the prep on the mold at work. I think white gel would be the simplest and people can paint to there color choice. Material cost And shipping should be very inexpensive Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Steve -

I sent you a PM. Please let me know if you do not see it.

Ian.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'll get a check out in the mail this week, thanks for stepping up.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Buju

Post by Buju »

Joe E wrote:I'll get a check in the mail when I get off duty Monday. I have no problem pulling parts if someone else isn't interested or we can share the load. I can do the prep on the mold at work. I think white gel would be the simplest and people can paint to there color choice. Material cost And shipping should be very inexpensive Joe
Would be great if you were to pick up the ball and run with it Joe.

I've just received some unfortunate MRI results. Gonna have to change up a lot in the next few months, need to drop several projects and sidejobs I had lined up.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Buju, so sorry to hear; the home team is in your corner.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

BUJU ... hope all is OK.
Just realized you may know some folks that I know.
Snappers - Howard .... his siter is a close friend from Southampton, NY
Buck - Buck Naked spices .... he bought my 27 Blackfin
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Buju, sorry to hear that. I hope everything is ok, let me know if I can help in any way.

If the group and Bertramp (Steve) is good with it I would be happy to take the lead. It will take me a week to get the mold ready to pull off of and I think I can pull two a week with my schedule.

Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

http://www.abordage.com/bertram-31.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Price: $500.00

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks guys... its not a life and death thing, more of a rapidly degrading quality of life thing. I've worked too hard, and never gave the body a break when it was broke- now I'm in a big ol stankin' heap of problems.

Yes Steve, I know both Howard and Buck "Nekkid".
I actually helped Howard quite a bit with photography when he was preparing to launch Dove Creek Lodge back about a decade ago. I've met Buck a few times here and there, around town...seems like a good guy.

Keith- cool model- but the hull is all wrong. No tumblehome, can only see 3 strakes- should be 4, and the bow entry below the chine is not "full" like a Bertram, looks more like a Phoenix hull. Looks pretty good above the rub rail though.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Keith, Its not right.