bertram 28 gas tank removal pictures

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

daydreams

bertram 28 gas tank removal pictures

Post by daydreams »

Here are photos of how the gas tank is made. This may help others with their tank removal. 1 shows the top cut out, 1 shows the baffels in place, 1 shows the baffels removed. A saw-zall did the most cutting with ease, a grinder did thiose hared to reach areas, a chisel and a drill did the rivits that held the baffels in place. I am leaving the bottom 1/2 of the tank in the boat and intend to install a smaller main tank [130 gallons?] into this shell and then install 2 saddle tanks [2x40gallons?] [if saddle is the correct term]. I figured the main tank will usually have 50 - 100 gallons in it so why have a large tank to collect condensation. I will also be installing a way to drain the tanks via an extra plug, pickup to the bottom, etc.

I figured on coal tar coating the tank. Cutting a drain hole in the rear bottom of the fiberglass tank for condensation draining. Shouls I install the tank on a bed of foam [bertram31.com] or will this hold dampness / aluminum rot.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Did you notice any ethenol damage? The gel coat looks to be intact from the pictures as compared to what I saw at Carl Tanks and Raybo's boat yard. The gel coat was peeling off and the fragments were soft and gummy also quite a few soft spots in the tank itself.
I just finished draining the tank and pulling the engines so next up is tank removal. If you don't mind I'd like to stop over and see your project some weekend.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Karl Tanks Tank was in pretty bad shape... Its a shame that such a heavy duty tank had to go to waste...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

This boat was on land for 5 years with an almost empty tank. I figure no ethenal in the tank. I dont want to wait for a problem tp show up at the worst possible time. You can see this project at any time.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Here's a crazy question...

Why couldn't you remove the tank top as you have, remove the baffles, refiberglass the tank interior and then re-install a repaired "lid" or a new lid using the cut up lid as a template?

I'm guessing the inside lid joint would be a problematic area...
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I know that Raybo relined the interior of a 33's gas tank with some kind of ethanol resistant coating... Im not sure what that cost but I am sure that it isnt cheap...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

I spoke to a guy that sells the material for relining. He said that it is good for 10% ethenal only. I heard this 10% may eventually be increased.

I figured why not install the 3 tanks where at most only the center tank may require replacement which would be an easy replacement.
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

I just recently cut up my 1978 B33 tank. For the last few years I had been getting a lot of "coffee ground" material in my Racors. Upon cutting up the tank I found that those particles were from the rivets rusting. The rusting also allowed gas to penetrate BETWEEN the layers & start the delamination process. Once I cut out between the baffles, I was able to easily by hand pull the two layers apart.at the baffles. Also, at the top joint I thought it was backed up with a rusty metal strip. I was wrong. It was just deteriation from age. My tank had only had a total of 250 gals. of ethanol put through it.

I don't want to steal this thread, but after seeing the makeup of these tanks, I don't think relining is a viable long term solution. Besides the chance of an adhesion problem that Cap'n Pat has spoken of in the past, how would you seal up where the baffle rivets are? If you take the baffles out to seal, then how do you put them back in? Just something to think about before going that route.

DELAMINATION

RUST

TOPJOINT DETERIATION
Last edited by lobsta1 on Jan 2nd, '07, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Peter

Post by Peter »

Even though these old Bert tanks had a long life, it seems their service life was not "forever."
It might be just coincidence that some of them are reaching the end of their natural life as ethanol is being widely introduced...and the ethanol is probably exploiting any weaknesses of old age.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Peter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Daydreams,

Just a thought: Why go with three tanks when two would be easier and accomplish the same thing. The bottom half of the existing tank would be your day tank, and the "saddle tank" or bunker would go atop that actually spanning clean accross the day tank. The top tank would have to be a tad shorter than the bottom tank to allow for a place to afix fuel fittings etc. to the bottom tank.

Peter
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I guess I read the original post wrong... maybe not...

In the old cutout left over from the fiberglass tank are you planning on placing three tanks or are you planning on having a tank that mimics the original and two saddle tanks in addition?

Confused... Ian.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ian, I think you are correct and I am wrong.

I was intrigued by the later post where "Daydreams" said:

" I figured why not install the 3 tanks where at most only the center tank may require replacement which would be an easy replacement"

and didn't go back to re-read the O.P. Now it all makes sense top me!

Peter
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Hi guys, The new tank will be narrower then the original [remove old tank sides]. This will allow my saddle tanks to be mounted better and go beyond the original [more gas], but will be easily removed for if necessary strut, etc, repairs.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Hi lobsta1, seeing your tank reassures me that I did the right thing, since i'm rebuilding the boat now I dont want to do this project in the future.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

being contacted once again concerning information about tank relining I feel I will share with you all the hours of research that went into the relining process we used.

Please note- I do not wish to line tanks, it is VERY time consuming, and the coating we used are VERY expensive.
The cost of the coatings with no labor comes close to the cost of a new tank.
I am not soliciting work for this process, I just wish to clear up some information regarding the process that I used.

If there is interest I will share what we found out, the tank that was lined was for someone who is in the business, the linings used are not available to the general public, they are meant to line steel, concrete, and fibeglass tanks and pipelines that store and transfer fuel.

More importantly- they were designed to adhere to the strict guidlines for the oil and pipeline industry and are approved for 100% ethanol storage,as well as GASAHOL storage.

There is a primer that is the key to the process- if there is any contamination of the substrate, which we found, off the shelf coatings and primers will not stick to them. The process we used is a 3 coating process totalling 30mils with the one we did coming closer to 50 mils.
There is also cleaning, grinding, re-riveting, re-glassing, etc...

There are specific length and grip rivets that you must use- monel and stainless, you have to not only cut the baffles out, but you must grind away all the fiberglass along the rivet lines, which number into the 300 rivet range, and drill out the old rivets.

I know alot of you are hands on, but this is not a job for the faint of heart, you must also properly pressure test the tank for leaks when done.
It is also IMPOSSIBLE to do in the boat, which I have read some people contimplating.

Again I can go into more detail, but the bottom line is do not confuse one lining with another. It is cheaper to go with a aluminum tank.
My welder also tells me he cannot legally certify a stainless tank of that size to go in a gas powered boat. I dont know if thats a certain qualification he does not have, or if that is just the way it is.
So stainless tanks might not be a option worth considering.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Raybo Marine, thanks for your educated information. I agree, its not worth the effort for somthing that may not work or last.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not sure if I read correctly or not, but worth mentioning.

You do not want to put a fitting in the bottom of a gas tank. A suction tube extending down to the very bottom is okay.

Its some Coast Guard thing to prevent blowing up if the fitting should leak. No fitting and the fitting can't leak, 100% guaranteed.

Again maybe I am missing something with the drain.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

The drain hole I was talking about was to drain condensation [if any] out of the bottom of the fiberglass tank liner, not the aluminum tank.