Bertram 20 Bahia Mar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dougl33

Bertram 20 Bahia Mar

Post by dougl33 »

Didn't there used to be a bertram 20 website?

I'm considering buying a 20 Bahia Mar and I know several of you guys have had 20's for many years. Other than wet transoms and fuel tanks, are there any other problemn areas I should focus on as I start my search?

How hard is it to replace the tank in a 20? I know the cockpit on my 33 comes up very easily and gives great access to the tank. What's the story on the 20? Any idea what the cost could be if I were to have a marina do it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Regards,

Doug L.
John F.

Re: Bertram 20 Bahia Mar

Post by John F. »

Wet stringers and wet foam. The B20s either have to be basically rebuilt, or have been rebuilt. I looked at a bunch before I got mine, and they all had wet transoms and stringers. Mine has wet stringers, with a rebuilt transom (that I think is wet), and wet foam. I'm running her that way for now. Absolutely great hull. From the pictures I've seen of rebuilds, Bertram glassed the inside of the stringers, and left the outsides of the stringers (on Moppies anyway) that were under deck with foam, unglassed--just plywood.

The pricing I've seen for rebuilds is all over the plaec, depending on person and materials. I've got a friend getting pricining now--from north of $20K with full composite decks, stringers, and transom, and all epoxy, to under $10K for wood stringers, deck, transom and all poly. He got a price from Metan that was over $70K, without power. He also has an '02 Albe 24, but got the B20 to redo after fishing mine a number of times over the summer and just loving it.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Thanks John.

What about the fuel tank? How easy is it to get to? Does the deck come right up or does it need to be cut?
Regards,

Doug L.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tank replacementis a piece of cake. There is alarge deck hatch over the tank. 100% access. Nothing to it.

Your big question is the wet foam.

Not every B20 has wet foam.... just the ones for sale. ;)

Peter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Thanks Pete
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That tank removal is not the same on all B-20's. The easiest to remove is the Bahia Mar who's deck hatch removal (4 screws) opens up the whole area (straight lift up). Much is made of the transom wetness. Unless you're putting in a BIG HP engine the fiberglass on both the inside and outside is strong enough to handle most any engine and outdrive. The B-20 is overbuilt. Did I change my transom? Only because I put in a new engine and outdrive that needed a different cut-out. With everything out, it was a no-brainer. Even then, what I saw was very little wettness around the outdrive cut-out considering it was a 1969 boat with it's original engine and outdrive. The wetness (with a wetness meter) is usually around the scupper drains which were factory poorly placed/installed or thought out originally.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Can the boat be used if the stringers and/or foam is wet?
Regards,

Doug L.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Doug-

When I looked at mine 4 years or so ago, I could tell she had wet stringers and a wet ply deck. I spoke with one of the guys from the B20 board, may have been Ian, who said that because the foam and stringers are sandwiched between the hull and deck, and the hull gets supported that way, she would still be OK to run. She also still floats on her lines about right, so she can't be too waterlogged. I've been running her for 4 years that way, and she's been fine. So, maybe, its worked for me.

John
Peter

Post by Peter »

B20's are notorious for having deck leaks that lead to wet foam. So nealy all of them do have or have had wet foam.

I have never once heard of any B20 having a structural failure.... not even anecdotally..... not even rumors.

Obviously many have been run and others are still running with wet foam.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the reason for the foam in the B20 was a CG reg that certain boats 20 feet and under had to be rendered "unsinkable." .....Or maybe it was just marketing.... Ironically that was brought about partially because of the unsinkable nature of the Boston Whaler, another Ray Hunt design. But the reason for the foam in the Whaler hull is different: In Boston Whaler hulls the foam forms a sheer structure between the inner and outer skins. In the B20 that isn't the case. I suspect that a B20 hull would be just fine with all the foam removed and left out.

Peter
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Never having looked at a 20 before, whats the easiest way to look for wet foam other than a moisture meter?
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Drill a hole in the deck on the port and starboard sides and insert a dry dowel in the hull. Wet or dry it's a great boat.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Fred Greis on LI has a B20 that he is looking to sell. Ring him up!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

where the hell has fred been hiding, does he still have the 31
1968 hull # 316 - 757
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Dug,

Any idea if Fred's boat is a bahia mar?
Regards,

Doug L.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Got this from Fred recently:

To: Mohlstein <Mohlstein@aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 12:32 pm
Subject: From Fred Greis- Bertram

Hello Mike. Long time. I hope this finds you well. My 31 is close to ready, but survived a close call with Sandy. Hopefully you faired OK. I have been spending the last several years building my business and plan on getting back in the b31 scene next spring. Several years ago, we purchased a B20 Bahia Mar on a double axel aluminum trailer and planned to restore it. It has been stored in one of my buildings for some time and we have decided not to pursue another project so we want to sell it. I removed and scrapped the engine and the boat needs the full restoration treatment. I thought of running this by you and few others for your thoughts and in case you may know an interested buyer. Thanks.

Frederick Greis, President
Wet Technologies, Inc.
U.S. Headquarters
1363-11 Lincoln Avenue
Holbrook, New York 11741
(631) 285-7285 x112 direct
(516) 313-7788 cell
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

My friend just started the restore of his B20 Bahia. What lies beneath:

The stringers are maybe 1/2" ply with glass only on the inboard side. You can tear them out with your hands. The foam is pretty dry up by the bow, and soaked by the stern.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Looks familiar!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Doug, I live in Swampscott have a 68 20 bahia mar..

Give me a call @ office we can talk 978-532-0212

Thanks
Ray
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Ray,

I just saw your message and tried calling. I'll try you again tomorrow morning.
Regards,

Doug L.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

There is a 20 Bahia Mar owned by Jacksons Marina in Hampton Bays, NY that is for sale for $2,500. I have not seen it but they describe it as a project boat. Give Tom or Chris a call if anyone is interested.
Harry
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Hey Doug, Sorry I missed your call...always leave a message and a number if you can't get through..
I'll call you back same day...

Thanks
Ray
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

I have 68 Bahia Mar 20ft does have a wet transom and some wet foam left in it but hasn't affected much floor is still solid has a 350 Magnum in it. Tank is easy to get to I made new tank a little bigger and moved it forward to offset some of v8 weight. not sure yet if I am gonna sell it.I have had it since 1973 or 74.Just bought a 86 28fbc
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Doug,
In my opinion the 20 Bahia Mar is the best of the 20' models. There was a guy in Salem that had a Bahia Mar back in the 80's. He ran a computer company (web servers) at Shetland Park. His name was Pete (can't remember his last name). He really did a nice job restoring the boat. Check with Norman and see if remembers the boat I think he kept it at Dions. I had a 20 moppie that I used to comute back and forth to Marblehead with in the mid 80's sold it to a guy that sent it to Sweden in a container. I'll keep my eyes open for a 20 down here in Florida if you want me to. My cell is 561-310-7179.
Pete Fallon Marine Surveyor
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Thanks Pete. I've got to speak to Norm about something else so I'll mention it to him.
Regards,

Doug L.
bobfioresi

Post by bobfioresi »

I may as well get in on the discussion. I have a 20' moppie for sale It has a 305 volvo{chevy?} in it with 1/2 hour on it which was to test it. the transom was redone i don,t know if its wet ,but the hull has been redone with algrip fighting lady yellow. it has a floaton trailer and a redone volvo outdrive with 2 new duoprops. I'm putting in 2 new aluminim gas tanks approx 40 gal each. it;s a nice boat. Bought it for my daughter and son in law but 2 quick kids stopped them using it .I,m looking to get $10,000-or best offer if anyone is interested thanx IT is in montauk L I NY