Bertram 20 progress

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ianupton

Bertram 20 progress

Post by ianupton »

Wanting to share some progress that will be forthcoming on my Bertram 20 Bahia Mar project.

Here is what she currently looks like:

Plans are to finish up the glass work and paint this winter.
On Monday, the boat is being moved to the engine install guy and they plan to measure for X dimension, cut the keyhole, dry install transom assembly, use jig to determine placement of engine mount location, fiberglass engine stringers in place and dry fit engine.

This is what is going in: 4.3 GXiE Duoprop

After engine is dry fit, my glass guy will take measurements and be able to design the rear seating, bulkhead, etc for the stern.

Engine comes out and goes back for remainder of glass work and paint.

Actual pictures to follow.

Ian.
Charlie J

Re: Bertram 20 progress

Post by Charlie J »

very nice, more pics later please
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Charlie J wrote:very nice, more pics later please
What Charlie said....more pics.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I love those B20s, she looks great.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Ian...., She looks great....

Someday hopefully, mine will get a proper make over like yours....

Ray
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Nice engine set up and boat looks great.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I hope to have some pictures tomorrow.

Keyhole is cut. Comment made by the shop's glass guy who cut it was "damn transom was overbuilt!". That made me feel good because you always second guess your own work. Full coosa transom that I did myself.

Transom assembly dry fit and jig placed to mark for the engine mount beds.

I was surprised thar he said there was interference with the steering ram and the sole would have to be changed a bit at the transom. I did raise to sole to combat the self sinking nature of the B20, but have never heard of interference before.

No worries... Just more grinding and glass.

Engine should be dry-fit and we can start on measurements for transom bench seat and rear bulkhead.

Ian.
Last edited by ianupton on Dec 5th, '12, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ian:

Merc makes a c ompact steering cylinder that might fit where stock rams don't. It is Merc, not Volvo, but maybe Volvo has their own version or the merc one can be used.

Here is a link to one for sale with a good pic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-861659T ... 6890110%26

Here is a link to a lisitng for a new one at factory prices....

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pic ... g+Actuator

Maybe it won't solve your problem, but just maybe it, or something like it, will. It's worth knnowing about anyway.

Peter
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I received some pictures of the engine dry fit. Again, this was to take measurements from and move on to finishing the interior fiberglass work.

In the last picture you can see what will be the battery shelf. Also where the sole is slighly cut back exposing the stringers is where a small removable hatch will be. For the most part, this hatch will simpley cover the batteries, but would be able to come out if engine needed to be pulled.

Plan again is to eliminate the traditional engine box and put in come stern bench seating that the bit of engine peeping out will be tucked under.

Ian.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

That is going to be a great layout Ian. You posted earlier about steering ram interference. I had the same thing with the XPD drive and we just notched out what we needed, re glassed it and carried on. That is looking sweet. I am really interested to see how she performs with that power package. Looking great - is the sudden progress a forshadowing of the Upton clan hitting Georgian Bay for an extended period summer 2013?
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

We are planning on coming back for some time in the summer.

Unfortunately, I do not think I will have a tow vehicle to get this from Michigan to Georgian Bay. Besides, I made a critical error and put all of the hardware that I rechromed, pop-up cleats, running lights, a few hundred $$ of wiring, battery cable, etc into storage.

As silly as it sounds, I might get a 16' Hunt that my mom will use up north and could potentially run around in that next summer.

As for the sudden progress, I purchased the engine in Sept, that kept me going for a few months just having the fact that I have an engine going around in my head. Pushing forward is a Christmas present to myself. It will seem far less painnful when I don't have to write all the checks at once.

For performance, she will not be as fast as your rocket, but all the other B20's repowered with a 200+ 4.3 will do an honest 50 mph. I have a shot of Doug McKenzie's vessel view display showing him running at 3900 RPM, going 39 mph and getting 3.9 mpg. I don't need anything more than that and when the waters are flat, trim her out and run!

I just wish I would be there to see it in person right now.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Two things - one is that a tow vehicle is no impediment to getting a Bertram in the water. With our network, that will happen if you want it to. Second, you so casually mention buying a hunt 16 for your mum when I have been desperately searching for one for ever. You Georgian bay Mafia guys know where all the hunts are, don't you? That hurts, but I don't really blame you! I'll be slightly west of you in Lake of the Woods from early July to mid-August this summer. I will have a tow vehicle with me and an adventurous spirit...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Rocket, you nailed it when you referred to that crowd as the Georgian Bay Mafia! Ian and Doug McKenzie are two of the most knowledgable B-20 guys around. I learned a ton of info from those two when I was renovating the B-20 Sportsman with my brother.

Ian, that is a real sweet package you have put together!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

mmmmmmmmm.....new engine....mmmmmmm....red!

Looks great, Ian! Finish it up and ship it to Indonesia!!!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Thank guys, I am getting pretty excited.

I'll leave this boat in North America. Not bringing anything over to this side of the pond.

Still running a bunch of stuff through my head. Do I want to add a dam around the engine compartment and put scuppers back in or just stick with lots of bilge pumps and batteries?

The sole was raised, but still not sure where she will sit in the water.

I'm thinking of asking the engine install guys to slap the outdrive on, put weight in position to simulate full fuel load weight and back her into the water to document estimated water line. Unless the 100 gallons of fuel (might have been overkill...) effects things more than I am anticipating, I think the chines will just be under water at rest.

I really want a good location for the chine stripe and should I carry bottom paint over the chine.

Ian.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

should I carry bottom paint over the chine.
Ian,

On a fully loaded boat, the antifouling bottom paint should be between 3/4" - 1" above the static waterline...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ian

The boat looks great. Very exciting.

RE: scuppers:

No one opens the scuppers in thier 20's unless they are on the hard, or looking to sink the boat, or simply don't know any better. So the scuppers don't function at all in the original configuration while the boat is in use. This implies that they aren't particularly necessary. In the years my family has owned a 20 Bahia none of us has ever had a situation where we took a wave over the deck and filled the cockpit.

Next, it is probably easier to start with no scuppers and opt to add them later (if you deem them necessary ) as opposed to the other way around.

If you don't have scuppers, you probably can dispense with the dam around the engine compartment too, since all the water has to get into the bilge to get back out anyway..... But in this case it might be easier to do this part the opposite way. That is to build the dam now with the engine not installed and set it up so it can be removed later if you desire. The dam doesn't have to be 100% water tight, it just has to slow the flow of water from the deck to the bilge long enough for most of the water to go out the scuppers. It could be fab'ed to go in with a neoprene gasket and a handful of screws or something of that sort.

The 20's all sit low enough in the stern that there is a permanent puddle under the engine that is next to impossible to pump dry. I recommend putting a small bilge pump on a length of light aluminum bar or channel that you can slip under the oil pan to the back of the bilge, but which can be easily be slipped out to clear the pump. Such a "pump on a stick" is going to be too small as you primary "keep me from sinking" pump but will keep the rainwater and spray accumulation down under the engine.

Peter
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Rod,
Hunt 16.
Try Andrew, ajbg27@hotmail.com .
He has a project boat for sale @ the south end of Lake Simcoe.
Good Luck.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John -

Jim Langley in HH has a 16 that he is converting from I/O to outboard.

I have a picture that my uncle sent me. If you are in the area, have a peek and let me know what you think the finish level will be like. I hear he has a 100 Yamaha that is going on it.

Ian.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I sent Andrew an emauil, we'll se what happens. Wives are pretty forgiving at Christmas, right? Anyone?
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Ask forgiveness after the boat is in your hands.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

That is my normal course of action and may explain why I currently own 4 boats, hopefully I will get it to 5! To be fair, I claim that one of them is hers, a 1967 Sidewinder 18SS which she loves and is the "grocery getter" in the summer. Not many mini-vans with metalflake!
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

I've used that 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission' strategy in the past with mixed results.
Buying her some bling for the unveiling might help ?
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Andrew responded to me, already sold, crisis averted! Why am I so dissappointed?
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

I know a guy that has/had the molds for a hull and deck that was splashed from the Hunt 16.
I'm sure to run into him at atleast one Christmas party in the next couple of weeks and will inquire.
Any of the original 16's that I've come across (like that one of Andrew's) were real projects with significant structural issues.

Is it a 16 or 18 that you're after ?
Personally I like the lines of the 18 better.
It's wider, deeper, has wicked flare at the chine, and only 17.5' LOA.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Either, John, but I suspect the 18 would be better for us too. I am prepared to do the "signficant structural repair" thing. That way, you know what you've got. My wife and I have our eye on an island that is a little further away and an 18 might be a more comfortable boat when it gets snotty but not as big and heavy as the Baron (which of course is the best boat ever made in my eyes!). Nothing imminent, but I do like to plan. If something pops up, let me know, I have been known to act quickly
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Rocket - what is a Hunt 16?
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Sweet deep v designed by Ray hunt, same lifting strakes, same rounded keel, same deep v, just smaller. 60's looking bubble windsheild. Rare, I think. My knowledge is murky and 3rd hand. Not like the Honey Harbour boys who know where they are all hidden....