John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the post Mike
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Although I respect your right to throw in the towel; I do not accept it. In my egocentric and selfish trip, I instruct you to keep on fighting and keep the faith. In addition, there is a couple of things you still owe me: 1) Uncle Vic's Coonass Recipe Book; 2) the Camp's Fishing Tournament; 3) a trip to TSL; 4) a visit to Puerto Rico.

If you decide to wipe your "arrrssssssss" with my instruction, I pray to God that you have the greatest quality of life during your last "tenure", close to your family members.

Uncle Vic, Godspeed! and hope to see you someday.....anywhere.....so we may sip the white liquid eternally (if allowed by Management ;)

David "Hueso" Fernandez
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
There's not too many people that one meets in a lifetime that can be counted as making ones life better by knowing them.
You my friend are one of those few..

Your generosity, knowledge and coonass ingenuity make for a combination that rarely passes thru this world.

Thankfully memories carry us along and as I write this I shed a tear in your honor.

May God bless you and your family during this time, yet i fully expect you to go kicking and screaming.

Your friend,
Bruce
Capt. Mike Holmes

Uncle Vic

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Vic, when I got your email last night it was like a blow to the body, as well as the spirit. Like some others, I am not ready to say "good-bye" yet, but I respect your wishes and wanting to be prepared. Hang in there, and got out kicking and screaming. You are already missed, and when it is really your time, you will leave a big void, as the really special ones always do.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Doc

clears & tears

Post by Doc »

As I believe Thudd said, You were a navigational buoy in our journey through life, and how truly that was spoken.
I've been away from the sandbox for some time, but have never been away from the wonderful memories that that place has given to me......through your example. Extra Dry (which I believe you named) now resides in Florida Keys, and never chases a sail or tail (that's a yellow'tail') that I don't think of how I got into this wonderful association of 'misfits' ! The memories of Port Eads, and TSL are highlights of so many of our lives and are directly responsible because of your initiative.....words of thanks are so very insufficient. You have no idea how many times that I have toasted you with a 'clear' at cocktail time.
Well, here's to many, many 'clears'

Doc
( the ol' man)
Doc
lpd3

Post by lpd3 »

Uncle Vic,

Although we have never met I am saddened to of hear of your decision to acquiesce to the rigors the treatments you’ve been battling. Some might not understand or accept this decision yet there are those of us that truly love our family, not to mention our own self dignity, value being able to make the call when to pull away from the dock. I wish you and your family easy sailing and calm seas. You will truly be missed.

Your Friend,
Louis
-----------------------------------
Geaux Tigers!!!!
254-1792
Wet Spot

One of a kind

Post by Wet Spot »

Uncle Vic, I do have the pleasure of knowing you and even though I don't visit the 31 site every often, etc. (downgraded to a bert 25...) I still think about you often. Still working on the Grosbeck powered flatboat..... Your gumbo recipe is still the best I have found too!

We first met on this site forteen years ago and being local you said, "come on, let's go catch a marlin" like it was easy. Sure enough you took me out there and put a 450lber to the side of the boat. As luck would have it I brought a bottle of whiskey for the the Captain and we have been friends since.

You basically took me under your wing and helped me with your years of knowledge and experience. Your advice always got me in trouble but it was the best fun I can remember. The first "tournament" at Port Eads was a great one, I stopped along the way and picked up lobsters for everyone at my secret spot, the crabs were by the millions all over the walkway to the lighthouse, etc. The tales were tall and so were the cocktails.

I know that you have left a great impression on many people and I want to wish you when the time comes happy trails on the high seas. You will be missed but never forgotton.

Love you Uncle Vic.

Stan
Last edited by Wet Spot on May 22nd, '12, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Smith, CLTC
Towne Brokers, Inc.
New Orleans, LA 70126-1933
504-246-8825
504-451-9365c
Doc

Martini Light

Post by Doc »

Vic, I forgot to mention that EVERY evening when I light the neon Martini Light that you sent, you are in our thoughts......and all the neighbors like to see the light lit, too, it can be seen from the street.....it means that the bar is open. You will never be forgotten.
Doc
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thank you for all the advise, and laughs. God Bless you and your family.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Walt

Post by Walt »

Vic,
Your posts and quotes are among the best, not to say the great recipes of that southern cooking since the great war of northern aggression :)

Thinking of you from Stockholm, Sweden Vic!

Walther
opunui

Post by opunui »

Uncle Vic,

It is with sadness that i write this. As i have known you thru the years but never met you face to face. I have enjoyed your coonass sense of humor, your political views and your knowledge of our boats.

I will forever remember the care packages that you sent our way, that is still stinking up the house. The wife loved your recipes and always would like to have more.

We wish you the very best and till we meet again fair winds and following sea's.

Love,
Bobby and Mignon
------------------------
1977 Bertram FBC 1688 M77L
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Uncle Vic,

I Never met you , but is is sad that all good things have to end somewhere.

I wish you all the best with your journey , hopefully you meet my mother up there, and the both of you share our passion about boats.

Thight lines and bon voyage .

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

The UVIiiieee! in 2004 was one of the top fun fishing trips of my life....
Randy and I were talking at the tourny that you live every minute. We all should do the same.

--Marshall "Suzie's Pissed" Mahoney
Ric

Post by Ric »

U.V.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i am so sad hearing and reading this news.It has been a profound pleasure knowing you.Your post have made me chuckle to myself.Your wit is incomparable,Your generosity towards everyone was self evident,The times at the lauderdale boat show at the flophouse priceless,,,, Inviting me and my son david to Port Eads left an incredible impression on my son and i am so greatful and thankful to you for giving us both those memory's,
Needless to say you have left quite an impression on all of us who have had the pleasure of meeting you .and hanging out,.,,.you are loved.,.,.,great times were had and you made them all happen.,.,.you are in my thoughts and my prayers we will meet again.,.,.,tight lines.,.,.,ric
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

UV, A sad day indeed after reading this post...Vic I have listened to all your coonass wisdom and cherished all your stories, all the while you had the most amazing way of making us feel like we were ALL part of your family..I also have never met you but can say you have left your mark on my life as well...may your struggle end on the terms you set...and start planning the UVI on the otherside...hope to fish along side you one day my friend...godspeed...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

UV, although I've never met you, I have absorbed a lot of your wisdom, enjoyed your passion for these boats, and appreciate your love of family and friends. I'm looking forward to running into others from this site and buying a round in your honor. I'm sure we all will be raising a glass to you tonight. And someday when I make my first trip to TSL with my sons I will be thinking of you.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Although you shared this with me I had no idea of the gravity, on purpose I am sure.

You were very supportive during this very dark time in my life, words cannot describe the respect. Go comfortable my friend, and if you could at that time, tell my daughter how much I love her.

You are a class act Victor Roy.

Much love..........
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
matt

Post by matt »

Mr. Roy,
I've never met you but I have met a couple of people like you in my life. I can tell just by your posts that you are the kinda guy I want my kids to meet and spend time with. The knowledge you have of the seemingly obscure and mundane, in addition to real life nuts and bolts tells me that you are a student of life who never stops learning. Weird, but I am not a facebooker, I dont know how to text, but this website and the people who participate are amazing. I dont think it is the b31 that brings us together. I think it is the shared drive to learn, improve our understanding of how things work, and in the end live full and meaningful lives. Thanks for your work and dont give up. You are in my prayers.
Matt
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

UV, I really am too sad to post much, which is good because it wouldn't add anything of value. You are a good man who has known more than most. I would gladly help you any way I could.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Uncle Vic-
Wehave never met in person.....but i can tellby reading your posts we are like minded and kindred spirits. Honestly, i don't have a hell uv alot to say...gues like all of us I am in a bit of shock. Your color will be missed for sure.....I have always enjoyed reading your posts. All the best, ..and yup whether you know it or not, you influencedme as well. God speed!

Giff
Giff
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Uncle Vic,
Say it aint so, I'm going to miss your wit and humor on the board, your advise to the faithful was always right on. You have fought this demon for long enough, rest in peace and you and Snow will be together agian. Thanks for letting me be you friend, you will never be forgotten.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JohnCranston

Thank you Uncle Vic

Post by JohnCranston »

Uncle Vic,

John is down in Freeport and we would like to say thank you for all that you have done for us over the years. He really enjoyed his time with you at Port Eads and the many conversations that you had with us. We appreciate that you always took our calls.

As we move through life we meet many peopele and there are those that really touch your life and you are glad that you had an opportunity to get to know them. You are one of those to us - we are extremely thankful that we got the chance to know you through the board.

We want you to know that we love you and that you and your family will be in our prayers.

Take care pal,

John & Pam
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Harv

Post by Harv »

Uncle Vic,

I like the others, am saddened by this news. I can't express the gratitude for all your time, knowledge, wisdom, advice, and friendship. My life has been truly blessed just from knowing you. I am also honored I had the opportunity to be your part time chauffeur in NY City and Newport RI.

And to repeat what so many others have said..... I LOVE YOU MAN!!
Harv
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

Uncle Vic, although I, like several others here, never met you face to face I feel as if I know you, your wise wnd witty comments always made me stand up and pay attention. I wish you the best and hope you visit the sandbox from time to time, until then, we'll miss you.
Looking for my next boat!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Uncle Vic,
I am really at a loss for words here, but I must say I have always thought I knew you even though we've never met. You've always brought humor to the site and with that an incredible amount of knowledge in what seems like every aspect of life. Just like an uncle would! That said (and I'm in tears here), I do respect your decision. I wish you very much a pleasant time here and our true home in which we all will be someday.
With Love, Rocky
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Uncle Vic -

I was not fortunate enough to have met you in person. I have not been fortunate enough to own a Bertram 31, but I visit this site every day. Somewhere in storage, I still have a mostly unused gallon of CX that I got from you.

The advise that I have received on my baby Bertrams has been invaluable.

I recently lost a very close friend to cancer which she battled for perhaps 20 years.

I wish you comfort and time with your family.

All the best.

Ian.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Wish I could of met you in person, a sad day! I will see you on the flip side one day. Keep an eye on us when it turns to shit out there. Thanks for being who you are. Joe
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

UV
You are a great man and will be a tremendous loss to all of us and many others you have touched through the years. Hope to see you in the next one, fair winds, brother!! You're spirit will live with us forever. Mitch
Mitch
chris_wilson

All the best Uncle Vic

Post by chris_wilson »

UV, this is a message from Stephen Griffiths:

Memories of Another Joy, The Prop Stop Inn, Port Eades and Uncle Vic will be with me till the end, love you lots Uncle Vic

Cheers
Hula Hoop Steve.

STEPHEN GRIFFITHS
CAPE TOWN
SOUTH AFRICA
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Uncle Vic.
Thankyou for sharing your knowledge with me. I pray for a peaceful journey to your new destination.
jrhaszard

UV

Post by jrhaszard »

Mr. Roy,

Be at peace and comfort.Be with God.
BERG1847M80F
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Absolutely floored, and pert near speechless.

Uncle Vic, you have touched a ton of lives, both on this board and outside of this board. You will live on in my heart, and those of all our members.

Keep fighting, keep optimistic, nothing is over until its over.

Fondest Regards. Ernest.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
Possunt quia posse videntur
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

What the heck can I say that has not been said? Sad ,Unfair, Not right, but not for the fun and information of this sandbox we would have never met UV.
My heart goes out to UV and his BRIDE.
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Andres vW

Post by Andres vW »

Uncle Vic,

Although we've never met in person, I've been learning from your posts even before I joined the forum. Thanks for the tips and suggestions, and especially for recommending the i-loview low vision magnifier! Keep on fighting and know that if you're ever in the FL Keys, you've got a friend here.

Andres.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Thanks for all your words of wisdom and your recipes. You will be missed greatly.

Joe
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

I join the many who feel we know you though we've never met. I'm sure the guidance, knowledge, committment and love seen by followers of this site has been felt by countless others in all facets of your life. God Bless. Thank you.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Uncle Vic, I never got the pleasure to meet you face to face but through our sandbox I feel you were a good friend. I had hope to fish a UVI with you on AJ. I know I will in time. It was a honor and pleasure to know you.
Tight Lines and Following Seas

You will be in our prays
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
frankf

Post by frankf »

UV....I could say everything that's been said to and about you here a thousand times over and it still wouldn't be enough. Please know that you and Elaine have our everlasting love and deepest respect.

Frank, Judy and Michael
Tom

Post by Tom »

Uncle Vic, I was just this weekend talking about you and I taking the bookies money at the roulette table in Panama.

Hoping I get another chance to sip some rum with you. You've touched a bunch of lives and had a lot of fun. That's what we all want out of life on this rock. Keep on fighting and making people smile, you da' man!

YOU LIVE, YOU DIE, BUT HAVE YOU EVER FISHED THE UVI?

I have!

Yo fren', Tom
Viva la Presidente!
mikepelham

Steadying Sail

Post by mikepelham »

Uncle Vic:

You have been a steadying sail to this site for many years, I have truly enjoyed your advice, your oyster recipes and your affinitty for life and enjoyment. A true testament to a good man.

You will be missed
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Who is he that overcometh? he that believes in Jesus Christ... Vic.. Love you man & as you said many times none of us gets outta here alive. But our spirit does & He promises us life everlasting with HIM.
God comfort you
Love Wayne
Rit

Post by Rit »

UV,

These days it has become all too rare for people to offer a stranger the help that you've given to so many. I'd be willing to bet a few "clears" that dozens of B31 owners have been able to realize their dream because of the time that you and the Captain have given so freely.

Without you and the good Captain, I would never have had a realistic chance at building the boat I've always dreamed of having.

Many years ago I was uncertain about what to do to my B31 and even more lost on how to do it. You answered a post of mine with the answer I needed and then went on to add your phone number with the offer allowing me to call if I needed further help.

To get past your gatekeeper, I used the 'Secret" passwords("Bertram 31") you gave me. Every time I called, you took as much time out of your day as it took to answer my questions... That alone is all too rare these days... We'd be a better nation if people took a lesson from you on community and friendship.

I'm in your debt for each & every minute you spent giving me your wisdom. I can't thank you enough to pay my debt, all I can do is to keep you in my thoughts as I finish my Bertram and then as I spend the years on my "Greatest boat ever built".

One of your many "Faithful" friends,
Rit
1962 Bertram 31 -- Ruffian
10/09/61 -- Hull 163
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

UV, everything that everyone has written is so absolutely honest and true. You are a man among men. and and there will never be another Uncle Vic.Thank you for all the help over the years, you have answered all of my many question and even sent me the manuals.your out look on live has always been right on, and never any b/s . I am proud to to know you.I am really at a loss of words. Gods speed UV.

Russ & Barbara Jean
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Joef

the greatest of all time

Post by Joef »

UV -

you've said often that the B31 was the greatest boat ever built.

And i believe perhaps that you were the greatest Steward any of these boats has ever had.

Joe
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Faithful - I'm simply overwhelemved by all of your responses. And learning to type while on Percocet is an adventure in itself.

I'll try to stick around as much as I can.

And let's never forget that Capt. Patrick is the Man who brought us all together, so continue to support him and the sandbox.

Who knows, you may look up one morning at Port Eads and see a skinny litle fart slosing along with his morning beer......wave at me.....

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Watch out for the alligators, Vic.
They're hungry this time of day.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

amen to that.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

UV, This is TRUELY an amazing sandbox...this post is a classic example of a group of guys who are a cut above the rest..and I for one will support you and Capt. Pat till the end...Amen...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Vicroy wrote:Faithful - I'm simply overwhelemved by all of your responses. And learning to type while on Percocet is an adventure in itself.
I'll try to stick around as much as I can.
And let's never forget that Capt. Patrick is the Man who brought us all together, so continue to support him and the sandbox.
Who knows, you may look up one morning at Port Eads and see a skinny litle fart slosing along with his morning beer......wave at me.....
UV
UV

I know one thing we all mean what we said, and there is so much more. I said you stir the milk. Well, just to give you a chuckle you did it again. You surpassed the number of pages you started with the Rocker Stopper post.

The Good Lord is getting a good man and I know when one of us gets in trouble out there, some how some way, you will be there to guide us home.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315