Sad News from Connecticut

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Sad News from Connecticut

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug Stowe's good friend, a friend of mine and the former owner of the B31 Sexie Lady, Dave Cockerham is no longer with us. Rest in peace, Dave you were a great guy and will be missed.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

my condolences to the family
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

RIP. My condolences to all.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Hey Dug, the family and I are very sorry for your loss.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Sorry to hear this guys! loosing friends always sucks!!

RIP.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sad. Tuff to understand. RIP.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Dave was actually one of my best friends. I met him thanks to his boat, as it had been previously owned by another friend. I approached the boat one day on the backside of Fishers and introduced myself years ago. Funny enough I found out later that the fellow who passed himself off as the owner of the boat, and was a bit gruff, was actually Daves brother Allen. We laughed about this many times over the years. Dave grew to become one of my closest friends. We didn't see each other all the time, and it was possible to go a month or two, or even longer sometimes without talking, but in the truest form of friendship, it was always like it had been just yesterday that we spoke, when we did. We shared the same values, the same passions, for the B31, for fishing, for firearms (sadly, that was part of the cause...), for tightknit family, and for just time on the water with friends. Dave sold his B31 a couple years ago, and found himself a new boat just last year. He was so proud of his 35' Viking. He disassembled the Cat 3208's himself piece by piece to ensure they would take him offshore and back without any worry. He went to classes at HOPenn to learn how. He was a true detailist. I learned much and often from him. He was a licensed and union electrician, but never acted union, and I respected his work ethic and his constant desire to learn his craft and trade. Regardless of whether he was just pulling data cable, or in a freezing crawlspace, or wiring the Mohegan sun arena. He was a funny, funny guy, and enjoyed a belly laugh with the best of us. I remember him telling me that while doing some of the wiring at mohegan, he was way up in th arena celing. He waited until his boss came into the place to check on things and pulled a couple of handfulls of superballs out of his pocketand dropped them from way up there. He could not stop laughing about it... And then another time spend a huge amount of time tying parachutes on little green plastic army men, to do the same thing. He was a funny guy.

I'm going to miss him very, very much and as I write this I am wracked with tears. As I said, he was one of my best friends, and he knew it. For that I am glad. I would not have met him if it were not for Alchemy, my B31, and again, I am grateful for that. My boat has helped me through some really trying times, and will do it again soon I am sure. I am sad that I never got the trip offshore on the new boat with Dave, that we talked about so much in the past year or so... but I know he will fish with me, and walk with me and those who knew him for eternity now.

To you here on the site, who I know, am friends with and care about. First, thank you for being my friend. I appreciate it perhaps more than I can ever express. If you are ever down, sad, and depressed, and the thought to take drastic action overtakes you, please reach out. Please call me. Call someone. But call. I have lost two friends in the past three weeks to this terrible type of action, and I just cannot fathom how and why. You guys are my friends, you really are. I thank you for that, and hope you enjoy a good weekend. Hug those around you. Tell them you love them.

Dug
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Dug / Tom - sorry to hear.

All the best.

Ian.
Last edited by ianupton on May 11th, '12, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My condolences Tom and Dug.

It's painful but remembering the good times will help you thru.

hb
hb
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just terrible news guys, I'm sorry for your loss.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Very sad Dug. Our sympathies to all concerned.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dug and Tom,

Very sorry for your loss...

Br,

Patrick
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Sorry for your loss. We will keep you and your familys in our prays.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

So sorry to read this, Dug and Tom. Thank you for your bold offer, Dug, to invite anyone who may be struggling to reach out to friends. My prayers go out to his family and friends.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Dug-
My condolances as well. This is a good group of people....feels like brothers..and through thick thin brothers stick together. Good offer on your part....hang in there.

All the best
Giff
Giff
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, Your a true class act for sure...sometimes you cant explain or figure out why people do what they do in times of pain.... a true friend is the one with his hand held out to lift you up..many here I value as true friends..Alchemy will carry you through...no doubt..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thoughts & Prayers Dug & Tom for your friend.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug, Tom, I am very sorry for your loss.

Dug, I wish those in desperation would just ask for help as you request. Unfortunately the people I know who have made the attempt push away friends and family and drive themselves deeper into depression. If you have the opportunity to see this sign...push back...and push back hard, don't let them drive you away. I let the signs go by, but was lucky enough for a second chance to help the person get the required help...Carl
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

My Condolences Dug...and Tom...

Ray
Capt. Mac Creech

Loss

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Dug and Tom
Sorry for your loss, Sounded like a good guy.
Mac
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is very hard on those left behind. Hang in there Dug. It can only get better.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

My sincerest Condolences
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Why it happens who knows. I had a good friend who also had a 31. It was the boat that brought us together. We had a lot of good times both on and off our boats. Never seemed like he was the type to do something like that until we got the call.

It's tough way to loose someone.

The best thing you can do is to always keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dave's obituary was in the paper today. Note that his family proudly spoke of his accomplishments and personality. Although I don't remember him contributing on the sand box much, if at all, he truly was one of the faithful.
Rest in peace Dave, tight lines and fair seas.

David William Cockerham
Waterford - David William Cockerham, 38, of Waterford, passed away suddenly on Wednesday, May 9, 2012.

Dave was born in Rochester, Pa. on April 17, 1974, the son of William Cockerham of Griswold and Robin Fleming of Waterford. Dave worked for McPhee Electric and formerly for Woods Electric. He was a member of IBEW Local 35. Dave was not only a licensed E1 electrician but also was an ASE certified mechanic. At McPhee Electric, Dave was recently presented with their Foreman of the Year award. He was also a devoted multi-level instructor for the National Joint Apprenticeship Program. Dave had an uncanny knack of rendering complex topics into easily understood lessons for his students. This assignment was more of an avocation for Dave and something he cared about very deeply. He was known to say that his instructing was his duty and his way of giving back to his students, what had been given to him.

Dave was also an avid fisherman and would take many offshore trips aboard the "Sexy Lady" his 31-foot Bertram, especially to Block Island and Greenport, N.Y. Dave didn't like "fishing" so much, but what he preferred to call "catching." Anyone that had ever been on his boat can attest to that. Dave also enjoyed scuba diving and was an avid marksman and firearm enthusiast. David was known to make friends anywhere he went and he touched the lives of so many people, both personally and professionally.

Dave was a son, brother, uncle and a dear friend to many who had come to know him. He is survived by his father Bill Cockerham of Griswold; and his mother, Robin Fleming of Waterford; his three sisters, Christine Coppage of Chesapeake, Va., Betsy Weaver of Waterford and Victoria Cockerham of New London; his two brothers, Alan Cockerham of Oakdale and Joshua Cockerham of Griswold. He was particularly fond of and loved his nieces, Hope and Haley; as well as his two nephews, Alex and Noah. Dave's face would light up at the mere mention of their names.

He will be sadly missed by his entire family, all his friends in the fishing community and his co-workers at McPhee Electric.

Calling hours will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at Mago Point Marina, 20 1st St., Waterford.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ill be there. Without a doubt.

And thank you to all who have offered kind words and thoughts. This one is a toughie.

During the past 4 weeks I have broken things off with Liz after 12 years, and lost two friends to suicide. Wow, it ain't fun.

I took today off from work, as I needed a breather. And I am going to take Marly for a walk...

Dug
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Hang in in there Dug.

Jakarta is a true distraction, so if you need a distraction, my door is open. No boats but more cars and motorcycles than you can shake a stick at.

All the best,

Ian.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Dug & Tom

My condolences for your loss. Reading about his desire to pass on his knowledge to his students, obviously he was a top notch gentleman.

Dug, what a month. Hang in there.
John F.

Post by John F. »

My condolences. He sounds like he was a great guy. Hang in there.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow Dug, I had forgotten about the Liz thing! You have had a tough month!! In times like these often the best relief is a fishing trip to take your mind off things. Remember they say that bad things come in three's so you are due some relief. Hang in there buddy!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug,

These things always work themselves out and things will get better it's not always easy to see in the moment.

My family sends its love and prayers.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939