Perko Strainer Parts?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Perko Strainer Parts?

Post by Preston Burrows »

I cannot believe internet pricing I've found so far for parts for my Perko [raw water engine supply] strainers............Perko p/n 493 # 7 size 1 1/4"

So far I've checked about 4 different internet sources and a pack of 4 bronze tie rods with 4 hex nuts and 4 star washers ranges from $130.00 - $215.00 !!!!!!!!!
The rods are barely 7" long, 1/4" or 3/16" diameter I believe.

The spare pack of Perko OEM type I had are nearly all used now........can't remember what I paid for them about 4 years ago..... but no where near that much !!!!

So now I'm searching out bronze all thread rod to use instead,quick pricing at Jamestown Distributors shows this would cost around $30.00 for 3' of bronze rod with bronze nuts and lockwashers !!!!!!!!!!!!!
And stainless steel would be even cheaper, but gotta keep the survey man and insurance folks happy....

At least I've found an internet source for reasonably priced replacement cork gaskets for the strainers !

Here's an old photo of my strainer set up before I repowered and cleaned up the bilge area and installed fuel hose in lieu of the copper lines:

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Preston

If you want me too, I can look this weekend, but I may have a set of those laying around the garage from my repower.

If I have them, you are welcome to them for a donation to the Capt.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

damn i threw two 11/2" setup away recently.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Preston Burrows

Tony: Thanks, short of sending US$ cash in the mail from here I've no simple way of getting funds over to or in a way simply received by Cap...........if there was I'd have contributed regardless long ago.
Now if someone were to set up a credit card payment centre on the site......however I believe that would be against Cap's spirit/desire.

Bob: Part of my job involves overseeing a storage warehouse........I hear you on the Boss and throwing away whatever........which I tackle now and then by telling him when asked by him for oddball items [that we did not have anyway] that as there was no apparent use it/they were thrown out..........which keeps him off my back as to throwing out stuff...........works for me!

Rawleigh/Andre: Cheers, I'll check them out,I'd briefly visited CGEdwards site and will look again.... and had not thought of looking at McMaster Carr's site.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
J Graham

Strainers

Post by J Graham »

Why not get rid of the strainers altogether and use the external ones.
Preston Burrows

'Cuz what I have are there and all paid for! Well except for the maintenance parts..............

It's a Catch 22 situation for me.........I prefer having a system with which you can see what's cooling your engines water condition wise,albeit they are less maintenance friendly.............external strainers are the cats meow I know....... and easy enough to plumb in.

When I replace the strainers through hull mounting backers I'm thinking of installing external strainers then............but can't get my head around not being able to see the water flow/condition.....so am thinking of keeping the canisters if I do.......which defeats the purpose of the external strainers and thus the Catch 22!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Preston Burrows wrote:Tony: Thanks, short of sending US$ cash in the mail from here I've no simple way of getting funds over to or in a way simply received by Cap...........if there was I'd have contributed regardless long ago.
Preston

I did dig them out and it does not matter anyway. Mine are not Perko's. NOt sure who's they are but I do know they are original. Mine only have tow rods with a big center bolt downt he middle.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

The current replacement gaskets for Perko Strainers from Perko are neoprene and no longer cork. Much better and much more reuseable than the cork ones.

Steve