Fatal Philly "Duck Boat" accident w/ barge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Fatal Philly "Duck Boat" accident w/ barge

Post by Rickysa »

I haven't been able to find any info on what transpired (other than the youtube comments)....unless that area is like a blind river bend, I can't imagine radio communication couldn't have averted this tragedy...two deaths (can't believe it wasn't more)

ETA: Turns out the barge captain was distracted by his cell phone due to a family emergency, and the duck boat had overheated and it's capt. anchored in the channel fearing it was an engine fire and not steam from an overheat. Barge Capt. spent a year in jail for the equivalent of maritime involuntary manslaughter.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQ1e-4lzbkk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IQ1e-4lzbkk?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Rickysa...

I just read yesterday in the magazine "Professional Mariner" Issue 157, May 2012, that in the Phila accident you ask about, where a barge struck a disabled duck and two people were killed that the tug's mate pled guilty to "misconduct" and was sentenced to one year in jail and lost his merchant mariner license.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bet those goddamned cell phones have killed more people in the past few years than we would ever imagine!
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Bet those "goddamned" cell phones have SAVED more people in the past few years than we would ever imagine ! :wink:
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

It boils down to the "goddamn" idiots on cell phones who kill people

OR

The "goddamn" responsible people that use them wisely.

How in the hell do you know if the call coming in is a family emergency and if it is don't you think that "goddamn" idiot calling would be better served calling 911 rather than a guy driving a boat down the river!?!?!

Can you tell by now that I love to hate the "goddamn" phones.

Wow! ! ! I feel better now! ! !

hb
hb
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

I hear you, all good :P
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Cell phones don't kill people
People kill people.

It is only a distraction if you let it be one. That said, people feel this urgency to answer phones and texts immediately instead of dealing with tasks at hand...
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »