Deck anchor chocks.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Deck anchor chocks.

Post by MarkS »

I am mounting a new set of anchor chocks on the bow (the old ones were heisted off the boat by someone who apparently needed them more than i did before i purchased her, had old holes filled at time of refit so starting fresh) and was wondering a couple of things. Is there any advantage to specific clock positioning of the anchor on the deck? Also what do you do with all that rode clanking around on the deck leaving nasty rust marks and scratching the piss out of the deck?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mount the chocks so the stock of the anchor is facing the bow and lays right next to the hawsepipe. I use very heavy galvanized chain and there is only about 2 inches between the anchor shackly and the hawespipe and it does not even touch the deck.....I have the hawsepipe with the spring loaded cover and the cover "locks" - actually jams - the chain so it won't flop around.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mark- Mine is mounted on the port bow. My chain that will make contact with the deck is vinyl (plastic?) coated to avoid rust spots and the shackles are SS. I assume you must have an anchor locker under the bow for the rest of the rode. I wrap the chain around the mounted anchor so it stays.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

For some reason I was under the impression that the rode wouldn't go down the hawed pipe! Bone head. Mine is all galvanized shackles and all. You are correct Walter, lots of room for all anchor tackle.

Beautiful guys, thanks
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My setup is the same as Walters: port bow, stock forward. My chocks are made of rubber and hold the anchor about 1" above the deck. The vinyl coated chain wraps around the Danforth anchor and go under the two round rods that stick out from the base of the anchor (don't know their proper names). There are two SS eyes screwed to the deck under the anchor that have rope tie down for the anchor tied to them. The rope tie downs go around both the anchor stock and the chain and hold it all nice and snug.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bobfioresi

deck anchor chocks

Post by bobfioresi »

I got tired of the rust on the bow deck from the chain and decided to get pretty up their. I bought some shiny 316 chain ,so no more rust. my chain won't go thru the winch so i just wrap it around the anchor and put a rubber bungie around it . I also put 316 sacklels on either end of the chain.