Which gen set and location?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe E

Which gen set and location?

Post by Joe E »

I am getting ready to lay out the engine location and gen set placement. At first I was thinking Port side outboard, but after seeing Bob H. location I am having second thoughts. Where do you guys have your gen set and what brand and size? I am thinking 4kw is about the biggest I can go. Thanks Joe
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Joe - it will all depend on your motors and the model boat. I have a FBC with 250 Cummins 6BTAs and have a Phasor 6 KW on the outboard side of the port engine with plenty of room to spare. Its a 3 cylinder Kubota powered 1800 rpm and does not need a sound shield. Very quiet and smooth. Avoid the single lung 3600 rpm units - wen I got the boat in the early 90s it had a 4.2 kw Farrymann single cylinder diesel that was a sorry ssck of guano. I'm on my second Phasor - the first 5.5 KW three cylinder one was ruined in Hurricane Katrina & the 6.5 kw is actually a little smaller (shorter) than the older 5.5. I highly recc the Phasor. Do not scrimp on the water intake hose & fitting size or the exhaust. Mine has two in-line mufflers (long story, but two) and the exhaust is just a "whoosh".

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

joe e
i have the 3.5 phasor on my bahia mar, i have it located on the center line just in front of the engines, or between the helm chairs, iam in the northeast so no need for a/c just flood lights, ac outlets and batt charger
1968 hull # 316 - 757
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If your keeping the original FBC cabin layout you can look to put the gent set forward of the port engine. This allows access outboard of the port engine for maintenance.

You've got so much going on with your rebuild you could conceivably put it anywhere. I personally like where Bob H placed his you'll just need to pre-plan your transducers and raw water intakes like he had done.

We installed a 5kW Northern Lights in ours and its silent and reliable. In the cabin you wouldn't even know it was there. The interior was flat floored with an L shaped bench on the port side (guess whats under the L)

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Thanks Guys. The power package will be Cummins 220B 6bt or 260B 6bta. I do like the center mount I was just wondering about how dry it would stay. I could put it inside under the port rear set, the area was planned for electrical. I have heard great thing about northern lights a bit expensive, you get what you pay for.

I will looking the pahsor tonight. my uncle has a small tracktor with a Kubota engine that he loves. How is it getting parts for them?

Joe
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Kubota parts are available everywhere. Napa, etc. Probably the most popular small diesel in the world.

I had Phasor build both of mine - the 5.5 and the 6.5 - with all the service points on the stb. side. They call me "double dipstick Vic" at Phasor, but it sure makes maintaince a snap. It stays dry as a bone on its shelf on the outboard side of the port engine. My boat is in the water all year and I try to run the engines and gen set once a week to keep everything nice and lubed up and the fuel from turning to crud.

The 6.5 is probably overkill but sure nice to have the backup power. My 12,000 BTU Cruisaire a/c does not even cause it to hickup when the compressor goes on. It also doubles are the stadby for the camp when the power goes out.

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Joe, I had a blank slate when I started, main goal was low center of gravity, thats why I centered it, the genny sits on an I beam grid that holds it about 16" off the bottom, water gets above that im in deep do...but thats why I did the crash pumps...Like Jp said give some thought to your ducers before you go to far...get em in early and in a good spot..my buddy has a norpro....sounds like its about to explode any minute...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?