DD rebuild help :)

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

DD rebuild help :)

Post by Rickysa »

Well, I've exhausted my search capabilities (which albeit were limited to begin with) on any diesel forum I could find, so I thought I'd pester you good folks here...

Having spent more on special tools than the engine, I'm back to putting things back together now (2-71)...liners, pistons, head, etc.

Current issues:

1. I need to build a new wiring harness...to wit:
why does it appear that the governor has an electical control?

governor:

electrical control:

I have a new water temp switch, but I'm guessing these are oil pressure?

If anybody wants to make some $$, I'm flying solo here as there are no diesel mechs to be found...if someone wants to help me sketch out a wiring diagram, start the clock and send me a bill. The 2-71 Service Manual has a general description of the electrical components, but since these things were used for a bazillion different applications, I'm guessing more detailed info was up to the end user.

ETA: Rather than tying up bandwith here, email, phone etc are all good
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ricky,
call me. I pm'd my number.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As we discussed wiring to that engine is simple.

Main starter cable, start relay wire, ground cable and alternator connections depending on who's or what alternator came with it or last got replaced with.

And a blue wire for the oil and tan for the water temp.

Generator wiring could be anything since Detroit shipped those engines to numerous companies who attached a genset whether it was use on railway reefer cars, or telephone relay buildings or what. Labels on the genset should narrow the search down for the wiring and regulator.

That electrical on top of the governor looks to be a woodward hydraulic governor. The governor uses engine oil pressure to operate so the solenoid valve closes and causes the governor to operate. That pic of the possible oil pressure sender may be in fact a pressure switch used to operate the solenoid, that boxy looking item with the arm coming out of it.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ricky, something is very wrong with the engine...its rusty, which means it has not leaked & slung sufficient oil to properly coat it.

Agree the governor appears to be a Woodward and agree on the solenoid wire to it. I had a 2-71 railroad generator with a similar governor.

yo Fren'

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

UV, if you could have only seen it before blasting/degreasing/etc...my-o-my.

This is a railroad take out and thanks for the heads up on the Woodward (and Bruce), now I can do some research on it..

By the way, do you have anyone you'd recommend that I could order some boudain from? I've been reading these books about a guy in New Iberia and he's all the time talking about boudain and sauce piquante...makes my mouth water.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Reminds me of the UVI.

Boudin rouge and beer.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Gosh, Rickey, every grocery store here sells two dozen brands of boudin. My favorite is Richard's (pro: Ree-CHARD's"). I like their boudin blanc mild, its real good. The two bouts of chemo I've had in the past 4 years have left me unable to tolerate any red pepper at all so I have to struggle to find stuff that's not over-peppered. Sort of a living hell in south Louisiana, altho I've preached to y'all that real cajun food is not hot with pepper.

I think Richard's is located over around Lafayette, La. and I'll try to find you an email for them. They also make a green onion smoked pork sausage that's a knockout.

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Great!

This guy in the book has a Dock & Bait shop and grills chickens w/ sauce picante and boudain for his customers at lunch...my idea of a perfect job.

I might try it down east here...some day anyway
Last edited by Rickysa on Mar 29th, '12, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of Vicroy

I had some in the freezer. Don't see a website on the package, but the address is:

Richard's Cajun Foods Corp.
P.O. Drawer 414
Church Point, LA 70525

Phone: 337.684.6309
In Memory of Vicroy

I remember boudin rouge day at one of the UVIs......it was about Wednesday, daylight....we'd been hard at it, drinkin', eatin', & fishing in rough offshore conditions since Sunday.....the fleet is very slow to get going. I'm at the helm of AJ, Mike Ohlstein is on the FB with me as we idle out of Port Eads into the South Pass....in the cockpit are Rawleigh, Chris Wilson from South Africa, Lyman the G-man, and someone else, talking up a storm and quaffing 7 am beers....we put her on the step and head out into the fairly calm Gulf and turn southeast for the 100 fathom curve. Me & The Prof are pretty quiet, licking our wounds......we notice a dark line on the far horizon. I flip the radar on and we let it warm up.....hmmmmmm ....48 mile radar and all you can see is rain from one side of the scope to the other and off the screen deep.......I look at him, he looks at me and I make a 180 motion with my hand and raise my eyebrows....he nods and I make a veeeeerrrrrry slow 180 and head back to the pass, still at 24 kts. Our passengers, still yakking a mile a minute and drinking beer, don't notice until we slow down to pass the old lighthouse. Backed in the slip, woke the cooks up and told them we were gonna have a boudin bruncn about 10 am. Bloody Marys, Screwdrivers, beer and then the most delicious red boudin you ever ate (I'd had my sidekick Snow pick up a huge pile of the stuff for such an occasion).

Most of the other boats didn't notice we'd done the 180 and we kept up some radio chatter like we were still out there, the drift of which was the storms were not near as bad as they looked, etc, the whole while we are sitting in Mr. Pee Wee's pavillion drinking and eating boudin while the rest are getting their balls busted offshroe. They finally figured it out and came in, and we still had some boudin left over for them.

Best 180 I ever did.

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Bruce,

I'm at home and don't know how to email and such 'cause I'm on a Mac, so here is the alternator...

and while I'm at it, here is the auto-shutoff solenoid that I'll wire in (or punt and do something different)

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Ricky,
That's a delco single wire alt.
That wire will go to the battery + at the starter, thru an ammeter if you use one or even a circuit bkr if you use one.
Last edited by Bruce on Mar 30th, '12, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Rick,
I don't know any thing about a DD but the alternater is a single wire AC delco self exciting 65 amp alt.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Good deal,

The gauge panel, I believe, does have an ammeter...along with gauges/meters for oil pressure, water temperature, Hz, voltage, and hours. I'll be getting it in a week or so...now to find the senders/switches ;)
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The switches can be gotten form NAPA. When you get the panel and see the gauges, that will determine the senders according to make and range of gauges. They may be gotten at napa also.

Also all the stuff can be gotten online.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Capt.Frank wrote:Rick,
I don't know any thing about a DD but the alternater is a single wire AC delco self exciting 65 amp alt.
Probably a Delco 10si.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vicroy wrote:I remember boudin rouge day at one of the UVIs......it was about Wednesday, daylight....we'd been hard at it, drinkin', eatin', & fishing in rough offshore conditions since Sunday.....the fleet is very slow to get going. I'm at the helm of AJ, Mike Ohlstein is on the FB with me as we idle out of Port Eads into the South Pass....in the cockpit are Rawleigh, Chris Wilson from South Africa, Lyman the G-man, and someone else, talking up a storm and quaffing 7 am beers....we put her on the step and head out into the fairly calm Gulf and turn southeast for the 100 fathom curve. Me & The Prof are pretty quiet, licking our wounds......we notice a dark line on the far horizon. I flip the radar on and we let it warm up.....hmmmmmm ....48 mile radar and all you can see is rain from one side of the scope to the other and off the screen deep.......I look at him, he looks at me and I make a 180 motion with my hand and raise my eyebrows....he nods and I make a veeeeerrrrrry slow 180 and head back to the pass, still at 24 kts. Our passengers, still yakking a mile a minute and drinking beer, don't notice until we slow down to pass the old lighthouse. Backed in the slip, woke the cooks up and told them we were gonna have a boudin bruncn about 10 am. Bloody Marys, Screwdrivers, beer and then the most delicious red boudin you ever ate (I'd had my sidekick Snow pick up a huge pile of the stuff for such an occasion).

Most of the other boats didn't notice we'd done the 180 and we kept up some radio chatter like we were still out there, the drift of which was the storms were not near as bad as they looked, etc, the whole while we are sitting in Mr. Pee Wee's pavillion drinking and eating boudin while the rest are getting their balls busted offshroe. They finally figured it out and came in, and we still had some boudin left over for them.

Best 180 I ever did.

UV
Ah yes, those were the days!!! What a great time! I think I went redfishing on the Lumps that afternoon!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Big Redfish on very light tackle.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Hey UV,

Back when I first signed up here, when we had Carlos and Stan and others, you had penned a hoot of a story (about dockside cowboys or something??) and said there would be more....the ditty about the 180 turn up above got me wondering if you might be ready to sharpen the pencil and share some more?

PS. Struck out on Reeshhharrrds...they are state licensed only, so looking at some mail order places.
In Memory of Vicroy

Shoot, Rick, I got stories on top of stories, just have to put some effort into remembering them.

We usually go to the camp on Friday mornings and come back Sundy noon or so and that has the effect of wiping my mind clean as a whistle. Duhhhhh.....

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Fuel line fitting issue;

1/2 compression w/ rubber insert: can't find 'em on line or local (edit: turns out they are "sealastic" and are sold by a company in Chicago)

fuel line:

Thoughts?

(if this is somehow a duplicate post, apologies as I posted it earlier today but must have just previewed 'cause I don't see it????)
Last edited by Rickysa on Apr 4th, '12, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Rick, I don't think that's a big deal in the long run. Good luck. Been there. I'm sure more knowledgeable people than me will give you fitting advice.

BUT:

UV- Tell 'em about the time we lost an engine going out of S Pass- we had never intended to go out of the pass as the wind was ripping and there were huge standing waves in the pass, we only went "to look" but when the engine killed we got swept out of the pass (looking back - we were danderously close, hummmmmm), once outside of the pass and with both cranked up you kept yelling for me to put the lines in huge waves, which I did. Ha. I had almost cashed it in only some two weeks before in a 100 MPH storm w/17 foot seas. I was so scared I put on a life jacket in the cockpit, UV refused one as I asked him. I remember planning where I'd jump to avoid the outriggers and tower when we tumped over. UV said (I swear) "I'm not worried, this is a Bertram"- I had a Whaler at the time.
But we had alot of H2O onboard which stabilized us. To quote UV when we finally tied up and opened the deck hatches: "We were sinking but didn't even know it, want another beer?"
We had to stand off the Pass and wait for shrimp boats to try over and over again before finally getting into the Pass.
Cheated death again.
Be clear: we all have these stories and more. Sooner or later ......
Fun to share.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Shoot, it was a little rough but not that bad...the water in the bilge was caused by one of my hull side air vents getting knocked off a few days befoe when my son backed the boat into the dock too hard....so I went to the Venice, La. hardware store and bought a 4" PVC sewer pipe elbow and glued it in the hole...somewhere in the rough seas the pipe fell off and water just sloshed into the boat. The pumps pretty much kept up with it.

The rollers were coming directly into the pass against the strong current going out so the standing waves were in the 10 foot range and confused.....the big shrimp boats were broaching right and left, but in that following sea AJ cruised into the jetties at 24 knots pretty as you please.

UV