Build on China

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

luis

Build on China

Post by luis »

I have been on a shipyard on Xiamen,China where they built the Nordhavn, an american company that was before on Taiwan. The boats are really my kind of boats. Off course that even if I ever buy a boat like that , my old lady B31 should stay at least as my convertible for ridding wild.
The production is all done by chinese people but the quality and other stuff is run by US people. I really like that type of boats even knowing that they could be around 2 or 3 million euros. Seeing those guys working there makes me think that maybe , with the right guidance , the chinese gonna achieve a level of quality, but also that , the quality gonna have the right price. People buy chinese because its cheap... and cheap cant have quality.
To finish , I saw Cummins exclusively made in China and I can tell you that looking for a litle distance seems like (I have glasses so maybe I have to change graduation..) and the guys says that they have an agreement with original Cummins to do those engines. Its the DongFeng Cummins ...eheheh

All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nordhavn is one hell of an ocean going boat.
luis

Post by luis »

Bruce wrote:Nordhavn is one hell of an ocean going boat.
The engine room is impressive as well as practical, with a bench full of all the tools needed. i am a big fan of those boats for long time ago. the boat that I saw the inside was a 68" with a main engine and a "wing" engine , and in general always see those boats like boats with all the gizmos that one can need when living and travelling 2 or 3 months having the boat as a house.
One of my awake dreams.
All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Those are incredible to look at even just photos. Never been on one but I have to say that would be my dream boat........literally. It seems like you would need 750K on the low end to get into a mid 40 footer with some hours on it. I do not think I will ever be able to afford it. Can't hurt to dream though.
Carl

Re: Build on China

Post by Carl »

luis wrote: People buy chinese because its cheap... and cheap cant have quality.

Years ago you would have been right on with that statement. It was cheap and you got what you paid for..."cheap Chinese crap".

Today the Chinese have some real quality items coming out of the country and at VERY competitive pricing. The labor is dirt cheap...they can spend more on quality materials and still come in at a low price.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I agree with Sim. Maybe years ago their stuff was 99% crap but not now. I bought a pnumatic framing nail gun from Northern Tool for $99 that is their "quality" chinese brand and Its better than any $500 American or German one I've seen. Ditto on other stuff. It probaly won't last much longer.

I've never been on a Nordhaven but hear they roll pretty bad at anchor when the stabilizers don't work. Speaking of that, has anyone had any experience with the "spinning globe" stabilizers for smaller boats?

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bruce wrote:Nordhavn is one hell of an ocean going boat.
One 40-foot (12 m) 'stock' Nordhavn made history as the smallest production power yacht to circumnavigate the world, from November 3, 2001 - June 30, 2002. It covered more than 24,000 miles (39,000 km) over some 170 days at sea, starting and ending its circumnavigation at Dana Point, California. (wikipedia on Nordhavn)

Bruce, You remember the 57' docked next to us on Tom and Gwen's boat at Isla Mujeres?
Jim M.

Nordhaven

Post by Jim M. »

A very good friend of mine is President, of Nordhavn, and a founder. I have been on many of their boats. These are very good guys, and very good boats. If anyone needs any info let me know. He gave me the cad drawings of the 76' twin screw sport fisher to critique before that built is, knowing that I fished and had a Bertram. All I could say was WOW!, build it and people will come.
Jim
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Luis a large firm took over the the distributor metro power in new York.lease two huge buildings in the trade free zone at JFK airport in new York.thet ship the cummins engine components to china where they are assemble . The component are still USA just assemble in china for Chinese use only. Cummins has world dominance now in the small diesel engine field and does. Not compete with catapillar in large diesel field . Together they have eliminated yanmars in china and pacific rim countries. That continent down under will be the next assembly plant for cummins for large importers at the present.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473