Another Knee Surgery & The Boat's Got to be Sold

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Another Knee Surgery & The Boat's Got to be Sold

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I found out Friday that the polyethelene insert in my knee is breaking down and has to be replaced, looking at another surgery in the next month or so, that's #17 on the same knee. Long recovery period, no boating or golf for 4-6 months. Pat I might take you up on that teak peg leg.

I had plans to put the boat into the water this summer, she's been on the hard for 6 years. But it's time to sell if I can't use her, I've owned her for 35 years, she's a 1961 Express with original brown Formica interior.

I just finished replacing all the thru hull fittings with new bronze ball valves, external strainers and bonding wires, did all the under deck supports in cockpit, new rudder shelves, new wiring, Marlin's old engine boxes have been just installed, one peice boxes compared to the old orginal 2 peice lids and side framework. The V berth hull sides redone with new foam backed vinyl last year. Two new 4 D batteries and custom box, up high not in bilge between the engines, this year. The deck and house sides need to be repainted after 17 years, hull sides have been re-gel coated and still look great, bottom only has 3 coats of ablative Sea Hawk paint, new 3 bladed props never seen the water, 5" FRP exhaust with mufflers.

The motors are 454 TBFI 7.4 L FWC Mercruisers with Hurth 1:5:1- 8 degree down angle trannies with 240 hours since the were new in 1997. Never had ethanol in orginal FRP tank or in engines.

Rupp 21' single spreader out riggers, 4 Rod rocket launcher, custom aluminum backing framework for fighting chair under the deck. FRP cockpit sole and side panels, 3 custon tackle storage in cabin, 2 40 gallon oval livewells with cushions, engine box cushions, soft top. helm and companion chairs. Northstar 951X, Icom M502/DSC VHF, Furuno 667 color depth finder, JVC- AM/FM/CD player 4 speakers.

Everything works. She's a proven fish catcher, great sea boat and a rare style 31 with encosed head. She was a New England boat from 1962 to 1996 an only had a 6 month season up there, I moved her to Florida in late 1996, repowered in early 1997.

I can't see letting her sit for another year asking $45K or Best Offer. Photos and more info on request.

No Brokers or Keel kickers, serious buyers only, don't waste my time or your breath. Both Capt Pat and Bruce know the boat.

Cell 561-310-7179
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Damn Pete.. Sorry to hear that....

Ray
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Roger that, Pete....you have strugged with that for way too long. Good luck.

UV
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Best of luck Capt. Pete. Hope they get it right this time for you.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete you have been thru hell with that knee 17 times dame i just had surgery done last nov and still not right, but nothing you have been thru, best of luck
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Dam Peter Sorry to here that. I hope that they get your knee right. Good luck
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Thanks for the responses, I'm really geting sick of having them cut the knee and all anesthesia, They say everytime you go under you lose brain cells, hell at this point I should be a turnip. The bad thing is that the implant maker keeps using the same material over and over. I think I'll have my own Durlin insert made up and the doctor can put it in, Durlin's been working around my rudder posts for years without breaking down. I never liked using polyethene lines when I was lobstering way back when it was first introduced in the early 60's. Anyway, I'm trying to find a good home for the old girl.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'd be on the phone with "Wee, Cheetam and Howw" attorneys at law looking for a settlement from the implant maker.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

All the same Doctor?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Pete, Thats got to hurt all the way around...hope the docs finally get it right..keep fighting...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Dang Pete......

That just sucks......hopefully no body will pay your price for the Bertram and the knee surgery will finally be successful and you can at the very least enjoy you senior years "Howdy Boating" with the occasional trip of shore.

My best to you my friend.

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry & Bob,
Thanks for the come back, Harry, your in the machine fabraction business, do you know anything about Ceramic coatings for metals, I now have a Cobalt-Chromium metal tibial and femarol parts in my knee with a polyethelene plastic peice as a cushion between the 2 peices of metal. I am thinking about having a titamium parts made and coated with heavy lay-up of ceramic on the wear surfaces. Hopefully they will last longer than 5 years, that's what I got out of the last 2 knees they put in. This one was put in in January of 2010 and is breaking down already. Blood tests showing peices of poly with scar tissue build-up around them and major swelling in the joint. I'm just brain storming, trying to figure out what materials that will last longer than 5 years. I have already contacted legal service.
Pete
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Pete-In my humble opinion, you really have a valid case. I have had two hips done with no problems, but spent a lot of time with knee replacement patients in the hospital and in rehab facilities. I know that knee replacements are trickier and more painful in rehab, but I have NEVER heard anyone who has had the problems you have had. Something sure as hell doesn't sound right.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Pete, I have only had 13 hours of knee surgery. I cant even think of what you have been through. My thoughts are with you and hope all goes as well as it can. If your ever up here I will be happy to take you out on my 31. Anytime.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Pete......someone on a much higher pay scale than me will have to advise you on Replacement Body parts.

With my reputation.....I could design something that would last a lift time but it would weigh so much that only Charles Atlas could handle it.

Seriously.....I have a personal friend who is an Orthopedic surgeon and a "Crazy Boater"......I have a lot of respect for him.....His name is Dr Rod.......I am sure that he would be happy to talk to you. Just let me know that you want to talk to him and I will arrange the connection.

He repaired my wifes rotator cuff (damaged in a boating incident) and done a wonderful job......he did surgery on my sons back and once again he did a wonderful job.

My daughter is a nurse and takes care of a lot of his patients.....she says he is #1 in her book.

Why don't you talk to him.....cannot hurt! ! !

hb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,
Are the tibial poly parts relatively flat or is the articulation more curved?

The flat designs have a higher wear rate than the curved.

A ceramic coating without the poly would allow for no cushioning an alternative for cushioning would be hydrogel membranes if anyone is using them in knee prosthetics.

I've heard of them being experimented with in spine prosthetics. Not sure how far they are.

Even some type of bio compatable rubber might be better than the poly.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. Follow Harry's advice. I can't believe there is not a better alternative out there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete you need help brother nobody should go thru that kind of pain.here is a source of the best titanium in the world . drill bits self destruct,titanium drill bit wear out in short order i had some success with cobalt . this is my motor mount beds on the bertram.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i would imagine harry babb or carl could machine this titanium "granite" to someone`s specification.it is around the pilot seat to stop 50cal. bullets. this supports the landing gear to land on a carrier.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Bruce,The poly part is curved to conform with the femur, but what I can remember the tibial surface is fairly flat.I don't think that the hydro style componant would bear all the weight, spinal ones have the entire body muscle mass to hold it in place, a knee joint doesn't have enough muscle mass for weight bearing and would blow out in a short time frame, maybe a hard rubber from a motor mount or a drive saver would work, anything is better than the crap they are using now.
Brewster, so far I have endured at least 50 hours of surgery, 3 years of PT and over 1.25 million in dollars, If I get up there this summer or whenever I get fixed, I'll look you up for that ride, haven't been giant fishing since 1994. Harry I'll PM you tomorrow afternoon about your doctor, even if your part weighs an extra 10 punds it would be better than what is being used now. Thanks again guy's.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete,

You might try contacting these folks.

Cambridge Polymer Group, Inc.
56 Roland St., Suite 310
Boston, MA 02129

Phone: (617) 629-4400
Fax: (617) 629-9100

They do extensive testing on medical devices, including poly. Owned by Dr's.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete,
So sorry to hear you have to go back in for Knee Surgery again.

If you don't mind me asking...what do they say the problem is? Why do you only get two years? Are they doing the same thing over and over and just hoping for a different result?

I know people who have gone in and are good for what seems like years...

If its the same crap... hate to say it, but would an external brace help by taking some of the weight off the joint. It would be less then the perfect solution, but better then two years...

Wish I could machine you up a new knee...but I'm not even close to being setup for that type of Clean Machining...but I do have a couple machines that came out of a place that did that type of work....that company got huge and moved to China.

Sorry to hear...

Carl
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Damn Pete, that's a bitch... Any special inlays you want on that teak peg?
spencer

Post by spencer »

Pete, that sucks,

My father has been putting it off for about 5 years now, he needs 1 knee done. He keeps hoping for better/proven solution. He just turned 70 so he is really starting to try to get it done while he is in otherwise good health.

My 31 is not done yet, but I do get out on the 25 so let me know when you want to go.

Spencer
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Sorry to hear that Pete -- I'm still getting by with my original equipment -- even if they have had 7 surgeries between the two of them. But man, I don't envy you!

Keep the faith and work hard in rehab -- someone asked me how long my last stint of PT was on my 5 time repaired left knee -- my response "12 years and counting."

Tom
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow Pete! As the others have said I wish you luck and hope you will continue to share your wisdom with us even if the boat sells. Don't want to lose contact with a Brother!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,Sim, Spenser, Bob and everyone else.
Bruce, I will keep their number, my doctor is talking with the head guru's in Boston.
Capt Pat, I think a brass inlay would look good, would like an all ivory peg like Ahab but ivory is hard to get, tree huggers have killed the ivory trade.
Sim, I have been wearing a DonJoy 4 point unloader brace since March of 2010, they just fitted me with a new lighter weight brace waiting for them to make it.
Bob Lico, The last 3 knees have been made out of Cobalt-Chronuim with high impact medical grade poly plastic all by Depuy part of J&J medical. Ist one collapsed into the tibia after 5 years, 2nd one a rotating platform knee loosened up at tibia stem and the poly was degraded looked like it had been in for 20 years according to doctor. That one also kept building scar tissue inside the joint, white fiberous scar tissue had 4 clean outs in 25 months before they took it out in 2010. This one is a fixed bearing design I've had 3 clean outs already since 2010 and it fills with fluid and hurts all the time, even without weight on it.
I'm going upto Boston soon to get something done one way or the other.
I just have to find a good home for the boat before the summer. I really thank you guys for all the encouragement and support. I'll keep you informed what is happening. Thanks guys.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete the offer still stands if you can get a rough dimentiom I will get you space age titanium alloy hopefully it can be coated with that new polymers from Lockheed matin use in the f22 raptor.
I had my knee done about three years ago at stony brook univ. I can run on it. .i found stem cell enhancement from the stem tech corp. to be a tremendous help in healing and I continue to take it instead of getting the left knee done I feel this product has made the differance .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Wow Pete, I'm totally amazed that your skin around your knee would even heal back properly after so many surgery's & scar tissue involved.
I'll pray for you man. Good Luck for round 18, which sounds like your playing Golf.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Marlin

Pete

Post by Marlin »

Where r u getting your medical attention, try Mayo in Jacksonville or Cleveland Clinic in Weston, these guys don't practice medicine, they invent it, I owe u , let me know if I can help
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

DQ & Marlin,
I've had 2 replacements and 6 arthroscopic surgeries at Holy Cross in Ft Lauderdale and 1 total and 6 arthroscipic surgeries at Mass General. 2 other surgeries at Salem Hospital.
DQ my knee looks like I've been in a knife fight with a miget, I have been very lucky never had any infections with all the cutting.
Next step is to go back to Boston and find out what their going to do. I've had some of the best doctors in the country working on it, they are just getting around to realize that my body doesn't like the plastic.
I was looking back at some of the lab reports from 2009 plastic was present but was not considered out of range by the doctors.
Bob, I've had the stem cell and blood platlet injections only hepled for a little while.
mpcrnc

Failed Knee replacement.

Post by mpcrnc »

Pete, 2 years is an awfully short time for the polyethylene to fail in a knee replacement. When evaluating failed knee replacements the first thing to consider is infection. This has to be ruled out and the evaluation is done with blood tests and by taking the fluid off of your knee and culturing it. Lately, metal allergy is becoming a more common problem. This evaluation is done by sending your blood to a lab in Chicago to test for metal allergy. The MD's at the major joint replacement centers in Boston would do this routinely before considering a revision. The balance of the ligaments in your knee as well as the positioning of the components of the knee replacement play a major role as well. Hope that this helps. Mike Cassidy
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mike,
I agree with you about the poly failure, I've already done the blood tests in Chicago for metal allergy (it came back 4.8 just over the limit for colbat) Drs don't seem to feel that's out of line. There has never been any infection in all the samples of the synovial fluid they have tested(everytime I have fliud drained which is often) poly breakdown caused the last rotating platform knee to loosen and fail.
This time they found no infection just polyplastic peices. One doctor in Boston thought that the implant had shifted, he talked about putting in a wedge to reposition the joint, it doesn't seem to get to the root of the problem on why the joint keeps failing. I am going to see him very soon. Mike are you in the medical field or just been through all the same B.S. Call me on my cell I would like to talk to you please, anytime. 561-310-7179
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry B & Mike C,
Thanks for the telephone calls and ideas on what to do about my situation, I really appreciate the help. I know we are small group but there is a lot of smart people and loads of compassion among the faithful. Thanks again for your support, like always there is a solution to the problem in sight somewhere, it might take awhile but it will get straightened out.
Pete Fallon