Carrier landings...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Carrier landings...

Post by Dug »

You need to watch these. Watch 1 before 2.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligen ... rier1.html
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ultimate pucker factor...
Walt

Post by Walt »

Not allowed to watch in Sweden, US anti-piracy laws kicking in maybe:)
luis

Post by luis »

Neither in Portugal.
Maybe its allowed in Africa or in Pakistan but not in Europe....
And when politicians talk about allies and so and so... its the same smell with diferent color.
All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Not allowes to watch between the tulips to !!
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

allowed , sorry
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Must be the Heineken's....
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Not viewable where I am now, MEXICO.
I spent a few years on carriers on the bridge seen many
tense landings, most sucessful, some not
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

362 times, F4J, Saratoga,Indy,Ranger,Nimitz(big boat),Lex(very,very,small boat in A4). Have tried to explain but the video pretty much says it all. After 35 years the video still brings back the nausea that I felt coming down final. It was amazing, terrifying, gratifying, unfortunately tragically reminds me of the many friends who didn't have the good luck,,, and that's the only difference, that I did. Think about them , thank them, they're out there tonight, somewhere, and it's really dark. Hey but there's always a commanders moon, problem was we were all JGs :P
Bill
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Your covered Gert from NATO hq. Belgium . Desk top alert with clean power / lightning protection from Phoenix.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

When I was learning to fly many years ago I was on a solo training cross-country in a Cessna 150 from BR to Gulfport, Mississippi airport. Its an old military base and one of the runways - closed for many years - was a carrier landing training strip with slots in the concrete for the arrestor cables. Me, being a real newbe, got lined up on the wrong runway (hey, they were only about 20 degrees apart) and landed on the closed carrier strip. Even at a touchdown speed of 50 mph I was not able to stop that little thing within the "carrier deck". The air traffic controller cleared his throat on the radio as I skidded to a stop, lurching over the slots...."Cessna _____, taxi to the ramp VERY SLOWLY then report to the tower"......got a good chewing out but no write-up to the FAA.

Point is, it is just about impossible to see how they can crash those jets on the deck and not break something every damn time. Those that have done it are magic.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My dad's first ship was the USS Kearsarge (CV/CVA/CVS-33) - one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers - he was career Navy and flew God knows how many missions.

I put the name Tailhook on my Bertram 31 as I bought it a month after he passed away. Proudest man in the world for being able to serve in the United States Navy. He did make me laugh - whenever we flew together commercially, he usually noted the landing could have been smoother - after all, the deck wasn't pitching!

Go Navy, Beat Army!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Cannot watch in Puerto Rico (a territory of the US). Hundreds if not thousands of young Puerto Ricans have died side by side with North American Soldiers in every country on Earth and we are banned. INcredible.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I stand corrected. It is a copyright problem.
luis

Post by luis »

There are always alternate routes to achieve the same goals :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ki8Ji4HQVU - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTVj_ZSw ... re=related - Part 2

Nowadays the world is an open book , just search to find the right page to read.

All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
captbone

Post by captbone »

That is from the PBS series "Carrier". It was a 10 part series and you can watch all 10 episodes online at PBS directly.

The Navy was not happy with the end result does not show the Navy life in a positive light.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

What? PBS not putting our military in a positive light? You gotta be $hitin me!!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Mark I believe that PBS is showing the military in a more realistic
light. It may be different than the way the military would like to be
portrayed however.
For instance was it a wise call to practice landings when the deck is
dropping 30 feet. Is that practice worth risking the lives of the pilots
and deck crew? When a plane wipes out a whole lotta other shit
goes with it!
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

When we go to war we don't pick the weather .
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Chanse wrote:Mark I believe that PBS is showing the military in a more realistic
light. It may be different than the way the military would like to be
portrayed however.
For instance was it a wise call to practice landings when the deck is
dropping 30 feet. Is that practice worth risking the lives of the pilots
and deck crew? When a plane wipes out a whole lotta other shit
goes with it!

It's still better to practice with a 30' foot drop, then not have that practice and be caught with a 35' foot drop.

But I hear you.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Practicing in a 30 or 35 foot pitching deck is like practicing getting hit on the head with a baseball bat. Sometimes it just hurts and sometimes it kills ya. But do we practice that? When the deck is moving that much you just do as you have been trained . You're not aware of the pitch just fly the visual slope, standard ball, most likely, a thing called movlas wher the LSO controls a ball to give you a glideslope he wants based on the ships movement. Then sometimes it just hurts, and sometimes it kills ya. Reckless training, but if the mission requires it ,,launch
Bill
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

Sim, I wasn't aware that they launched aircraft in any weather.
thanks for the correction.
Last edited by Chanse on Mar 4th, '12, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Back in the old days 200 & 1/2 mi was std mins think it's still the same today. The good thing about the ship is that it does move and can sometimes find better wx. Also if you have no divert field-blue water ops- who's gonna violate you for bringing it back aboard. As opposed to sh&@ canning a multi million aircraft
Bill
captbone

Post by captbone »

The PBS series is negative not because of the danger they show but instead because it is a series about individuals, the downtime, boredom, broken families and being out at sea for 6 months at a time. Any time civilians see documentaries about the military it is normally rock and roll greatness.

The clip at the top of this page is exciting and makes you want to be a pilot even with the danger. The only problem is that out of the 5000+ souls aboard a carrier, very few are pilots. People see Top Gun or Act of Valor and join the Navy because they want to be a high speed pilot/SEAL.

It was well worth a watch but it does not make you want to join the US Navy because it shows the reality for most.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

And they're worried about OUR fuel consumption?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

My freind was an oiler on a carrier. He said he would have rather been in jail. I asked if he saw any jet drivers and he said one night in the mess hall they had "top gun" on. The rest of his sevice he spent working 18 hours a day and lived, worked and slept within 300'. He was alowed to go up to see the light of day for 1/2 hour every day but said he would just sleep.
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

It sounds as thou some of you were in later than myself.
Things change I guess.
I was Essex/Midway Classes, Yankee Station, No time for boredom, constant watches, Flight Opps day & Night, My 80 man suite was on the fantail, the noise of landing gear hitting the deck, arresting cables, bomb shutes running, fire cans rattling all night and guys coming and going on and off watch sticking there feet in your face in a 5 high rack didn’t help. I learned to sleep standing up in the signal bridge area. I was volunteer for Landing & Boarding Detail, also anchor patrol in port with my trusty Thompson. A 26’double ender lots of fun launching that at sea for rescue & boarding. It was all sbout the aircraft. And more importantly the drivers! And getting both back home from a mission safely so the next day and/or night they got to do it all over again. That was both risky and costly enough and too many paid the ultimum price.
I salute each and every one of those Pilots and crew both past and present, they were and are all exceptional people.
And let us always remember the ones forever on night opps.
Wmachovina Thank You for your Service!
OUT!