License plate.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

License plate.

Post by bob lico »

I am looking for a pair of good condition blue background gold letters NY license plates. I have new style ny historic plates and ny will permit me to use any of these nineteen seventies plates all I have to do is register the plate number.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bob - Try Midnight Auto Supply.....they may need a night or two lead time.

yo' Fren'

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

I got a nice set of tires and wheels from them-and imagine this, they were able to deliver them at 2am!

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Reminds me of a couple bayou folk talking about some dumb new Yorker coming to the door and buying a junk rusted 1965 ford then taking up the road to a junk yard. Actually the guy wanted the 1965 ford registration to register his 1965 cobra kit car so the window sticker would say 1965 ford the. Registration does not say cobra from full size ford car dramatically increasing the value of the car. Here in ny it would be extremely rare to see 1971 plate on anything but a restore muscle car if not those plates would have been replaced with new style color combination over the years when reregistor .back then you might sell a car and hang the plates on garage wall now you must turn in to ny. Needless to say ny 1932 plates would be worth a fortune to a dude with a 1932 hot rod.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ny became a car title state in 1973 other states we two before or after so you could just assign that rusted junk car numbers to your 80,000 kit car if not registration and window sticker would say home made!!!! sort of a bummer for a cobra kit car with all the right stuff .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Sorta like some folks arond here do, have 6 boat trailers and one license plate? Works for me.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

bob...i have black and gold 1956 plates with the much sought after "heart five"

randall

Post by randall »

UV...my boat trailer has the plate from an 80s vintage motorcycle trailer....wonder where that came from?

i actually have a collection of about 50 plates from 5 or 6 states. my favorite are my old utah plates from my 55 chevy pick up.....the letters are NMA.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

damm ! randall that is super cool somebody got to have ny 1971 plates!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

i'll look through the collection tomorrow.....maybe.
In Memory of Vicroy

Randy - I had one boat trailer plate and it was many years expired.....so I'd sold my daughter's Corolla to some out of state guy so kept its plate....and carefully cut out the expiration date from the Corolla plate - using my finest tin snips - and epoxied it over the expired date of the boat trailer plate. So me & my son merrily went off fishing down the bayou towing the old Whaler down the highway with the newly updated plate......we passed a state trooper going the other way, saw him slam on the brakes and spin around to chase us down, sireeeen a whailin'.......he comes up to our truck and my son, who was driving, rolled down the window and handed him his license. "Nice Try" is all the trooper said as he wrote us up for the plate.

The DA is that Parish was my golf partner in law school so the problem was repaired in due course. That trooper obviously had good eyes.

The little sailboat I bought last summer came with a new plate so we good to go for a few years.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

UV...great minds think alike. in high school i made one out of cardboard and paint....worked till it rained. out here my plate fell off so i threw it in the pick up bed...didn't get pulled over for six months...gotta love really small towns.

my finest forgery however was my home made pit pass for the 1967 US grand prix at watkins glen. as the flag dropped you can see my shadow on jimmy clark's lotus.....i was 3 feet away. (i have the photo). after the race i handed the trophy to colin chapman. kinda like meeting mickey mantle for me at that time.
In Memory of Vicroy

Shoot Randy, you may have missed your calling.....there is a helluva market for Green Cards around here.

One of my sisters is an artist and she did a great forgery of an LSU student ID for my girlfriend so we could go to the football games free. Black & white photo with the LSW law school in the background - she sketched it perfect. I worked part time in one of the first offices to have a Xerox machine and that sucker was a game changer for us petty crooks. I forged a letter on the Attorney General's real stationary telling one of our law school classmates he'd been kicked out of school for cheating....the guy almost went nuts, called the AG's office, etc. Big hoo-rah, but we never got caught.

UV

UV
randall

Post by randall »

yep...great minds think alike.........tooooo funny!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

A somewhat similar MAD AV story. I had just joined a company as it's Head Art Director and was hired to change the archaic way things were being run and to create award winning advertising for the agency's clients. After being there a while I received a very critical memo from one of the Account Executives who thought my Art Directing staff worked for him and not me and made no bones about saying it. I responded with a critique of everything he had done wrong from the day I got there, and what I had to do to save the company's ass because of him. Below my signature I listed cc's to everybody who was anybody at the highest executive level up to the president (but I never sent them out to them). When he got my memo he went ballistic and immediately started calling all that were cc'd, who in turn would call me to ask what the hell he was babbling about. When I told them what I had done, they all laughed their asses off...and I never had a problem with that guy again.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

There are web sites that sell them, buddy just got some for is corvette , do a google search
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hey Bob

Why don't you just commission Randall to carve one for you?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Robbie that's what i need it for 1971 corvette. Any seventies blue background gold writing will do.
Tony a wooden plate would not make it by the NCRS. Judges.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Bob: This seems to be what you are looking for.
I never throw anything away, so when my 1969 Porsche turned 25 years old and became eligible for NYS "vintage" plates I dug around in my garage and came up with this. You might have a little difficulty in finding a 1971 sticker for the rear plate, but if you find plates for a later year a careful application of heat should allow you to seperate the upper layers until you come to the 1971 sticker. By the way, in 1971 NYS had both front and rear plates, but the year sticker appeared only on the rear. EJB
randall

Post by randall »

i never put a front plate on any sports car i owned....thats over 40 years with no problem.(in 4 states) for some reason they don't seem to mind. i always had it with me along with a pre -rehearsed tale of "it just fell off this morning".
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

White bear that is exactly what I want. What did you say you needed for your Bertram 31????
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob,
Try Hemmings(magazine for the antique car hobby), there is at least one vendor who makes license plates or renumbers them to your specs. Also several sell used.

Randy,
At the GP at the Glen the previous year my brother (art director for his own ad agency for forty years) "borrowed" a photographer's bib for an hour and photographed it and cut a small piece off for a sample. For the uninitiated the bibs were worn by the pros to identify them. Each bib had its own unique number emblazoned across front and back. During the winter he found a material very similar and made his own including silk-screening the same number front and back as the one he purloined. The following year he wore the bib and got into all the places the media photographers went. I had a great picture of him for years standing next to the photographer who drew the real bib that year.
But the best was his forgery of the Toyota paddock pass for a swell dinner. When we went to the races he always took a kit of supplies including multi-colored pens and pencils, piles of different papers and pasteboard, mat knives, scissors, etc. We had one legitimate pass and he created seven more free hand. Guess who the door guard questioned? You bet and he didn't even have the original. He threw a hissie fit, showed the guard his fake bib and in we all went. God bless the world's art directors. They've saved my bacon more than once when I was an A.E.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks mikey i will try hemmings .all i need is plates to take her for a ride . i completed the engine and she ready to go except legal plates. i have the " nod" from the law to let her rip for just one run at daybreak .she should be in the 150 - 160 bracket.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bob, I've got you covered.

1971 sticker and everything.
Last edited by mike ohlstein on Feb 23rd, '12, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Ya know, some might view us a scoff-laws due to our antics, but I'd rather compare us to those who are glorified for civil refusal like the "Occupy" people. Idiotic laws don't need respect. Stop and think about it.....what is the real public value to licensing small boat trailers? None. Its just a way for the bureaucrats to gouge money out of the public and throw up unnecessary roadblocks to us living a peaceful life. It just keeps piling up, year after year. You cannot fart without breaking some law or violating a regulation. There comes a point when law-abiding people just say "F**K IT".

I'm pretty much there.

UV
In Memory Walter K

My NY trailer registrations have quadrupled in cost in one year. They're on the road to and from the water ONCE in each direction, otherwise used as a storage vehicle. I'm seriously considering letting the registration lapse. Talk about the law of diminishing returns.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Registrations???? See, Walter, that's the problem - you have multiples, which in the eyes of the government means you are rich and have an ability to pay. Speaking of which -- great job by Gov. Christie yesterday --- told Warren Buffet if he feels he isn't paying enough tax to shut up and write a check.
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

Have you looked into registering your trailer in Maine? Seems to be the trend here. Worth loking into.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

your the man mike !!!! got the e-mail wow!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Now is this a great site or not?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Shit.......

I forgot that I was supposed to be the mean guy.

This could totally ruin my image.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

To maintain your status, I'm assuming you are going to alert all of the appropriate local authorities regarding all of the motor vehicles laws that are being broken by certain brethren on here????

Tom
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Shhhhh

You're tipping my hand, Tom.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Mike:

I'm sure the "statute of limitations has already expired" defense is already typed, notarized and approved by Da Judge. Texas versus NY, maybe there is a jurisdiction issue?

BTW -- did you get your 350 yet?

Tom
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

No, I still need one.... I might just pull the trigger and buy a 130 hp 4 banger.

If I don't get this Baron in the water soon, it's going to sink on land........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Mike-I have a new one on my Bahia mar and it serves me fine, but Barons are supposed to fly. My problem was space and access. I had very little to go any wider.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bob,

I got a set with 1973 sticker if you need another to fall back on
Harv
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

You are very considerate Harv. Mike really nail it with a 1971 . I thank all you guys for the great input. The lawman will take me up to 80 or so and i will drop the hammer and let that LT -1 wind up.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473