willy's flats boat rebuild

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

spencer

willy's flats boat rebuild

Post by spencer »

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k51 ... at%20boat/

This is a boat that Buju had down in the Keys, started to rebuild it.
The boat originaly had a hole in the hull from hitting a turtle, dont have a picture of that maybe Buju still has it.
Hull was repaired, had to replace some of the plywood of the hull and refiberglass, some of the stringers were replaced , console was moved forward, new chase tubes installed for the rigging etc.

Spencer
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Flats fishing is nuts.

I spend all my time staying away from sandbars and in channels. I go flats fishing and these things are going in 8" of water at 40mph. Definitely a puckering experience the first time- kept wating for someone to hit the brakes and roll out of the front of the damn thing.

Nice lines on that boat
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Classic beauty!

JP I am the exact opposite spent the past 7 years with a flats boat. Now with the Bertram I have to color inside the lines again. I will admit I love doing 35 in 6" of water but it freaks people out.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Who got the turtle? I know a recipe for turtle soup that uses 40 different ingreients. It's from Tommy's restaurant in New Orleans and worth the trip. I've spent more than my share of time pushing stuck flat boats thru gummy mud chasin' fish & ducks. Y'all can take over my turn now. Fathoms, not inches be'z me.

UV
Buju

Post by Buju »

Good seein the old girl again. Makes me feel justified I made the right decision to get rid of her, cause if I didn't, she'd still be sitting around looking like a "before" picture opposed to your "after" pics.

Progressing very nicely, good to get those ugly transom baitwells off her.
Was surprised to see the console salvaged and re-cored, figured it'd only be good as a template for a new one.
Did you have the new stringers made out of mahogany like the originals?
Peel all of the glass off the wood hull and re-glass, or just remove the de-lamed stuff, and patch with new glass?

I'll give you two bottles of Crown for her back :)

turtle damage
dilapidated Willy Roberts
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Oh, I don't know anyone that can flats fish/ pole the boat @ 35 to 40 mph... Thats a badass flats guide, gonna miss a lot of fish at those speeds though.
Maybe Rob Fordyce, he's got the arms for it.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Buju. I know your just busting chops but it's nice to get in the lee on the backside of an island and travel 10 miles in flat calm water when the channels are kicked up with a 2-3 foot tight chop.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
spencer

Post by spencer »

Buju, the console would have been easier to just use as a template, the guy helping decided he wanted to fix it, however I am going to change the top of it maybe put a tilted angle on it or a pod , made out of teak.

The boat was flipped over and the hole was fixed by stripping fiberglass back and replacing with a section of plywood to conform with the hull and then regassed , faired and then regelcoated

I found out the teak looking cap edge, is made out of cypress, it least I was told that from someone that owned one,

I still have to fair and paint- finish back deck area
what do you think about placment of the gass tank, looks like it coud go in front of console?