Wood screws

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrhaszard

Wood screws

Post by jrhaszard »

Does anyone have a source for stainless wood screws? I need eight SS countersunk flat or oval head wood screws to reinstall the transom cleats.The ones that came out are number eighteen that are two and a half in length.I don't mind buying a boxful if need be. Thanks, John
BERG1847M80F
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John,
I bought mine thru Whitacar Boatworks in Stuart, they were chrome bronze oval head slotted #18 x 3''. If you want I will check to see how much they are, I bought mine over 3 years ago 8 screws were over $50.00 if I am remembering correctly. It won't be until Monday afternoon when I get to their yard.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John

I have been looking for the same thing. So far I have had NO luck but I will keep looking.

Mike, I briefly browsed thru McMaster but did not see the #18.....thats about 1/4" in diameter..... I will look in more detail later.

John
If you or we can find them I will split a box with you.....I also need 8.

Actually I was already thinking that if I cannot find them I would make some 82 degree washers that fit the clete and then use a 1/4 or 5/16" lag bolt.....don't want to but if I have to.

I prefer the 316 SS but will take 18-8 if I have to.

hb
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/ststwoscflhe2.html

Sorry....

Try this one.

Size: # 18 X 2 1/2" - Model # FA-268-36094 - Fastener Type: Wood Screw – Flat Head – Phillips Drive – Material: 316 - Stainless Steel – Head Width: .51" - Shaft Diameter: .26" - Price: $5.29

#18 X 4 Slot Flat HD Wood Screw, 18-8 SS - PACK OF 10
http://www.go2marine.com/product/45242F ... -head.html

Bronze

WOOD SCREW BRZ FH 18X2.50 SLOT 100/BOX 113298
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... ,4723.html
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +Screws+FH
That link is for 18-8 Stainless but it would be worth a call to see if they can provide the 316

Jamestown Distributors
17 Peckham Drive
Bristol, RI 02809
Phone:
Possunt quia posse videntur
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

These guys are terrific to do business with. I got all my SS fasteners from them when I rebuilt Tailhook.

Best regards,

Tom

http://www.eckart-finard.com/fasteners/index.html
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

#18 in silicon bronze #16 in stainless. Try these guys.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Wood_screws_Sl ... .aspx?nv=l
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto Tony on Bolt Depot, I've been buying from them for years and zero issues, good prices, fast & cheap shipping. Box lots save you big.

UV
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John Hazard & Harry Babb,
I finally got over to Whitakcar Yard in Stuart , they no longer have the #18 stainless steel wood screws to hold the stern cleats into the Oak blocks on the transom quarters. I also went to Chapmans Supply without any luck. The stockman at Whitakcar had already talked to John about the screws, he said to try Jamestown Supply.
If you guys can't find the wood screws, how about using 5/16'' machine screws tapped into an1/4" aluminum plate attached to the back side of the cleat base wooden block. Just a thought. Sorry I couldn't find you the screws.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
In Memory of Vicroy

My original #18 screes were bent and I replaced them with stainless lag bolts and you don't even notice the hex heads unless you really look for them. I thought about grinding down the heads and slotting them but after trying one it was obvious leaving the original hex head was fine.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
I'm back home and I'll look around the shop for some. I've got a bucket or two of old boat screws and bolts. Why, I don't know. Let you know if I find 8.

Harry, I'll see if I can find enough for both of you.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I did pretty much what Pete suggested except I used SS tee nuts. Easy installation and plenty strong.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Vicroy wrote:Ditto Tony on Bolt Depot, I've been buying from them for years and zero issues, good prices, fast & cheap shipping. Box lots save you big.

UV
Tony, Vic,...... When was the last time you bought from them.. ???
I've done 3 other boats entirely from them since 95 with no issues.... but what I've bought since 2008 has been horrible with widespread rusting .... When I called them on it, they admittedly revealed they now buy stainless from China and are starting to have issues.. They offered full replacement but still very disappointed I've lost that great source...prices and product used to be excellent...

Ray
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ray wrote:When I called them on it, they admittedly revealed they now buy stainless from China and are starting to have issues.. They offered full replacement but still very disappointed I've lost that great source...prices and product used to be excellent...
Oddly enough I was with my daughter last Thursday shopping for "Flat Ware" (I call it Stainless Steel Silver Ware...she corrected me)

The lady presented her with 3 choices of alloys, 18-0 18-8 and 18-10

Inquiring of the differences (I actually already had a pretty good hunch) she had no clue but told me that the 18-0 and the 18-8 were very popular.

Sooooo, I borrowed Angies "Smart Phone" and confirmed what I already knew (I just was not sure if the Flat Ware folks used the same numbers as a machine shop) 18-0 is 18% Chrome & 0 % Nickel and likewise with the others 18-8 is 8% Nickel and 18-10 is 10% Nickel.

18-8 is the traditional 304 and should be avoided when used in areas exposed to sea spray.

The best choice in Stainless is the 316L grade (18-10)

I order from Bolt Depot but so far I have only ordered Silicone Bronze fasteners.

If ordering by the 316L or 18-10 grade and its rusting then they are clearly falsifying the integrity of their product......although the chemistry may be correct the material heat treatment is not correct.

I purchase my fittings from www.fittingsandadapter.com
earlier this year I bought some STAINLESS STEEL grease fittings. They actually rusted already, worse than the plated ones that you get from the Nocount Autoparts Stores.

I guess its luck of the draw anymore.

hb
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

John: I used a piece of 3/8" aluminum and drilled and tapped it for machine screws. I epoxied it to the back of the blocks that hold the cleats and through drilled the wood. Much better than wood screws!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ray

My last order was 2008. I am afraid that no matter who you buy from there are no guarantees. I don't have any rusing yet, but most of my stuff was used below decks and when I stick my head down there, they all look good.

If I decide to pull my deck this spring to paint her then I will find out, it there is anything I did not see.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Ray - I bought some screws from them last year when I was rehabbing my old 13' Whaler but bought the 504 grade since the boat is in fresh water and have not noticed any rust or discoloring on any of them yet. Surface staining on stainless is pretty common and more a cosmetic issue than a structural one in most applications like we use it for.

UV
jrhaszard

stainless

Post by jrhaszard »

I have been buying from marinas and local hardware stores and I take a magnet.Amazing results.
BERG1847M80F
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Harry Babb wrote: The best choice in Stainless is the 316L grade (18-10)

I order from Bolt Depot but so far I have only ordered Silicone Bronze fasteners.

If ordering by the 316L or 18-10 grade and its rusting then they are clearly falsifying the integrity of their product......although the chemistry may be correct the material heat treatment is not correct.

hb
The 316L designation doesn't seem to mean much anymore, as much as the origin of the material.. At least in the marine industry.....From what I've seen, even away from the shore in a covered enclosure, 316L from China will rust and stain badly in a couple months ... The only product that I hope will continue to work is this stuff I picked up at the boast show.. Spotless Stainless.. www.spotlessstainless.com
It's now been 10 months since I've done some deck hardware and it still looks new. She's going back in water next year so time will tell..

Ray