World's ugliest boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

World's ugliest boat

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My initial entry, the Silverton 35 Motor Yacht:

http://www.silverton.com/models/35MY08/35MY08.html

After sinking all of them, we need to find the plans and burn them.....I promise its uglier in person that the pix.

UV
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

UV, it may be ugly,but they sure put a lot stuff in that hull. Would I go off shore in that thing, not a chance..your fren....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Along the same lines, I nominate this floating pile of guano!

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998- ... t-98691008
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm not gonna say that I would not own one.....at times I will ride on anything just to be out on the water.....

but

I would not cruise on the river in the day light hours.......LOL

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Tom - that one ain't near as ugly as the Silverton to my eye. Harry, guess in Alabammy y'all sorta get attached to them ugly boats like a floating double wide?

yo Fren'

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

http://www.carveryachts.com/36mariner.aspx

These guys have been making them ugly for years. Gotta say though for the size they sure pack alot of crap in 'em and they still have room to lounge about.

They do make a great boat to hang in when the weather is too lousy to be outdoors...at the dock of course.

Another good thing...the way they are built, they won't be around all that much longer. Little chance they will ever see 40-50years of service...thinking 20 will be pushing it.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV == you definitely picked the cream of the crop -- there was one just like what I showed at my dock a few years back -- I could never figure out how you would dock the pile of poo -- there is a six foot swim platform off the back and no means of seeing pretty much anything from the bridge -- maybe backup cams??? The other thing that amuses me on these Euro styles -- how does one walk forward????? Nothing flat, nothing to hold and no room.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

It sure is hard to be polite when one of those things pulls up. For that matter I feel the same way about every catamaran power boat I've ever seen. I don't care how well those things ride because life is too short to own an ugly boat and I'd never own one.
Regards,

Doug L.
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

They all look like the latest NIKE AIR trainer shoes. !
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I was on that carver Carl posted a link too. Didn't leave the dock just walked on after being tied up next to them for the day. As ugly as they may be man they've got a lot of creature comforts.

In my neck of the woods many boats make the 3-4 mile trip across the bay to fire island for a weekend of drinking. Never close to the inlet or in water deeper then 15 feet.

Not my thing but these types I see around don't get beat up often fill up the tank once for the season. What's typically funnier then the looks of the boat is watching the guy scream at his wife as he smashes into pilings trying to dock the thing.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

sim im with you on that one... blech...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

In order to have good design, you have to be able to recognize bad design, and not allow it! That was my philosophy when I was working, and that was Steve Jobs' philosophy behind the success of Apple. If there's a choice between products that do the same thing, and one is ugly and one is well designed, which would you pick? (B-31 owners already did). Remember, someone had to approve those things. Also remember that a Camel is a Greyhound designed by a committee.
randall

Post by randall »

i cant find it but i had a link to an ad "silverton....your floating condo"..you can't make this stuff up!.

BTW...the ugliest boat ever made is on the hard at a marina in hampton bays. i mean REAL ugly.

Last edited by randall on Nov 21st, '11, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
randall

Post by randall »

found it....

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic wrote:Harry, guess in Alabammy y'all sorta get attached to them ugly boats like a floating double wide?
Like thisVic????

And finally on a much more technical level!! ! !

hb
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

UV, take that link down or atleast add a big disclaimer, I almost got sick when i saw it.
Harry those are awesome
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
luis

Post by luis »

1969 Hull #313-897
capy

Re: World's ugliest boat

Post by capy »

Vicroy wrote:My initial entry, the Silverton 35 Motor Yacht:

http://www.silverton.com/models/35MY08/35MY08.html

After sinking all of them, we need to find the plans and burn them.....I promise its uglier in person that the pix.

UV
Happy Thanksgiving, UV

I agree with you .......that is the ugliest boat I have ever seen.

Paul
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Luis
I like OZI and CONTESSA........dem 2 ain't no ugly boat.....

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Harry, I knew you could do it.....must be the supernatural vibes from the U of Ala. hat?

I agree that a couple of Luis' boats are pretty nice looking. But Luis, you usually have knock-out gals on the bow, what happened?

UV
randall

Post by randall »

harry....great minds think alike...exactly my reaction.

a whole web site devoted to ugly boats.................the rendezvous must be a hoot!!

the one i posted is uglier in person....trust me on this one.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think on most of those boats they design the interior and then wrap fiberglass around it! The outside is a function of the inside.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

You gotta have a Bayliner in this thread:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... &noOfPic=1

JR
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Rawleigh,

You are exactly right about most boatbuilders wrapping fiberglass around a pre-designed interior, resulting in the "ugly boat category". The opposite is why our B-31s are so unique. At Dick Bertram's request, Ray Hunt designed the most efficient and best performing hull possible in the 30 foot range, and then at Bertram's request, Jack Hargrave designed the superstructure around the hull using his best efforts to give it balance and classic lines. Needless to say, the Hunt/Hargrave joint effort on this project resulted in the timeless classic that fostered this fraternity. (Thanks again, Capt. Patrick!)
randall

Post by randall »

well....when you advertise your boat as a floating condo ..........
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

jackryan wrote:You gotta have a Bayliner in this thread:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... &noOfPic=1

JR
I love the way this guy has his boat tied. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.
Regards,

Doug L.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's
Not only are there ugly boats but the safety factor comes into play, the uglier they are the less sea worthy they become. I surveyed a 45 Maxium motor yacht a while back, this thing was butt ugly to look at. The mechanic and I were the only ones on board, he stepped into the cockpit and the boat started to rock, I got in and it moved a lot more. Just tied to the dock I could get this turd to really rock back and forth by shifting my weight back and forth. 45' long 14'6'' wide and only 30" of draft with bridge clearance of 19'. The capacity plate on the bridge stated no more than 1000 pounds allowed on the fly bridge. Thats only 5 people and it had seating for 10. This bucket of crap pounded crossing wakes at speed, had windage like a tractor trailer and almost touched the gunwales when wallowing a trough. Needless to say my report stated that the vessel was not to be used in sea conditions over 2' and winds of 15 mph max. The boat went to Russia and I never heard anything more.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

I have a 40' carver on one side of me and some large 37' boat on the other side, both of which give me protection from the elements. I feel lucky they are there and they rarely if ever move them. They say it's cheaper then renting a motel every weekend and the one guy always has top shelf booze.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ed with the top shelf booze you could learn to like the ugly duckling . somebody has to drink with him mine well be you!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

They will shade the sun off of your B31 most of the day anyhow!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Pete Fallon wrote:Guy's
Not only are there ugly boats but the safety factor comes into play, the uglier they are the less sea worthy they become. I surveyed a 45 Maxium motor yacht a while back, this thing was butt ugly to look at. The mechanic and I were the only ones on board, he stepped into the cockpit and the boat started to rock, I got in and it moved a lot more. Just tied to the dock I could get this turd to really rock back and forth by shifting my weight back and forth. 45' long 14'6'' wide and only 30" of draft with bridge clearance of 19'. The capacity plate on the bridge stated no more than 1000 pounds allowed on the fly bridge. Thats only 5 people and it had seating for 10. This bucket of crap pounded crossing wakes at speed, had windage like a tractor trailer and almost touched the gunwales when wallowing a trough. Needless to say my report stated that the vessel was not to be used in sea conditions over 2' and winds of 15 mph max. The boat went to Russia and I never heard anything more.

Pete
I can deal with ugly, I've seen plenty of ugly stuff that someone else thinks is beautiful. Makes the world go 'round. But when it's a design that compromises safety to that degree that's bad. Especially considering the uninformed buyer likely has no clue.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bruce Sweet

Post by Bruce Sweet »

UV, I believe if you look back on that design it was originally offered by Nike or Adidas in select stores; a floating sneaker.
Bruce
Carl

Post by Carl »

That style Bayliner...as kid there was one on our dock. They were following us home one day and caught the wake of a passing boat...not a big boat or a big wake...but that Bayliner with Mom, Dad and Daughter on the Bridge just teetered on the edge of going over...the closest I have ever seen to a boat capsizing...it just hung at that spot for what seemed like an eternity, straightened up a bit, laid back a bit then righted itself...you wanna see people come down off a bridge quick....

To each his own.

Guy with the Carver...just sought of backs in and when he can't see the dock anymore...or bumps the dock...he knows he's in. Strange way to design a boat...and you have to love the ramp going from the Bridge to the foredeck...it's a nice steep walkway with molded non-skid...totally worthless when its wet... Slide down right under the bow rail...like a Slip'n'Slide right off the bow. Smart design.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Sim I don't know what happened at Carver they used to make a decent looking boat but they still fall under the clorox bottle heading. Like a freekin bobber. I can almost spit to Pulaski, WI. from here. (Home of Carver.)

Luis That is a stunning collection of spew, just where did you find all those gems! LOL

I have seen SF99 or Sigma parked off Medano Beach near the Cabo harbor. That thing looks like the head of a skyrat (Seagull for those that love them)

This is a fun thread! You know when you get to dance with the queen of the prom the rest are sort of "High Milers!"

-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tommy wrote:
You are exactly right about most boatbuilders wrapping fiberglass around a pre-designed interior, resulting in the "ugly boat category". The opposite is why our B-31s are so unique. At Dick Bertram's request, Ray Hunt designed the most efficient and best performing hull possible in the 30 foot range, and then at Bertram's request, Jack Hargrave designed the superstructure around the hull using his best efforts to give it balance and classic lines. Needless to say, the Hunt/Hargrave joint effort on this project resulted in the timeless classic that fostered this fraternity. (Thanks again, Capt. Patrick!)
Amen.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ugly or not...I guess a builder will build whatever the people will put down their money on. People want the features of a
50' boat crammed into a 35'...and come in at a moderately low cost. Something has to give...styling, power and seaworthyness seem to be on the table. Ugly just becomes a by product. My opinion anyway.

Whatever...it's just good to be on the water.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They force safety in the manufacturing of new cars, seems less on new boats. So many of these monsters seem so top heavy, I'd be afraid to be on one in a heavy sea. Couple that with questionable construction quality makes it even scarier.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Walter, thats a reason many boats just stay at the dock.

I don't care what you have...we are all just corks in the water. Bayliner to the QE-II....although I whole heartedly agree with you Walter. I am just amazed when I see some of these monstrosities out of the water. You have what appears to be 20-30 feet of structure above the waterline and maybe two-three feet under the water...just don't seem right.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I don't think the owners actually know what the boat looks like on the water---they go to a boat show and board the stern---walk through big sliding glass doors and see a mini apartment---their first mate(wife) is with them and they are sold----i have a neighbor that tells a story that he sold a boat with the same full tank he bought it with-
luis

Post by luis »

Harry Babb wrote:Luis
I like OZI and CONTESSA........dem 2 ain't no ugly boat.....

hb
Well Harry, I have to agree that Ozi and Contessa are more or less nice but the Lionwind is kinda more then uggly.
UV the gals feel that the weather is to cold so....maybe they are inside.

Greetings
1969 Hull #313-897