Good luck from the South

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Good luck from the South

Post by scot »

Hopefully Irene will roll out to sea as she moves North, or maybe you guys will get lucky and it will just be a media-hyp non-event....in any case; Good luck gentlemen.

Our prayers and concerns are with you and your families.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Ditto, what Scot said.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks guys! As I said in another post a while ago, we here in SE North Carolina dodged a bullet.. but the Outer Bankers had a much worse time than us.

We do appreciate your thoughts and prayers!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Be safe folks and good luck !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

730 AM.....we have leaves and twigs down......but not too many. and we have electricity. not even bad as a normal summer storm. bullet dodged.

i guess there is more to come but it looks like the southern quadrant of the storm has fallen apart.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Pretty good gusts here, should get worse before it gets better. No trees down that I can see but bad enough that I'm not going down to the boat.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Accroding to the news that we see here in Alabama, there are more than 2 million folks without power. That is understandable considering Irene hit the most heavily populated areas.

Local power companies have already deployed crews to help in restoring electricity to the east coast residents.

The news media is telling us that you guys are getting slammed.

Good luck

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

i saw anderson cooper in down town NYC... he said" nothing to see here...move along". we have a bit of wind but compared to gloria and bob its nothing. of course here the electricity can go at any time. the only reason its still live is no branches down. stay tuned. i'm going to take a ride in the truck and see if the harbor flooded.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

8:30 am 8 Miles North of Boston on the coast 10 mph steady wind gusts to 15 mph...off/on rain.. Harbor relatively flat... They say gusts could hit 40 mph.. Like Randall said, we've had thunder storms that were far worse..
If you listened to the Governor yesterday you think Armageddon was coming... It's absolutely amazing how the news agencies stir this up into a frenzy and the millions if not billions of dollars spent and wasted ... All the articles like to use specific words like "slammed" and "massive" especially when written by CNN reporters.. It seems to be the news reporters more than the weathermen... Hell one radio station here was still reporting yesterday that it could hit us as a Cat 2 after it had been downgraded to a Cat 1.. while it was still in Virginia...!!
It's all about ratings and BS .. In my opinion...

I'm sure it will get worse here as the day progresses but come on shutting down the trains and buss's because NYC, who expected a direct hit, did..??? I'm all behind being prepared and giving the public warning but it's just damned wasteful to sensationalize every friggin storm we get, summer or winter.....

Ok I'm done ....Watch... now the tree in the back yard will come down and my B20 will get crushed..!!

Do hope all of you made it through OK....

Ray
Last edited by tunawish on Aug 28th, '11, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

All dry here... Boats still blocked and in good shape...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I'm in Ft Lauderdale, but power is out in Sag Harbor.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
neil

Post by neil »

we got real lucky here,just a real high tide and a strong breeze for 12 hrs
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We got 2" of rain but made up for it with strong winds all day mostly from the SE and SW. The high tide "surge" this morning was within 6" of the bulkhead wall. In the final analysis, this may be Obama's "stimulus" plan for our local economy. The sale of plywood, thousands of dollars in haulouts, tape, sale of rope, and canvas repairs. All of which none of us can afford but will have to pay for. A tour of the East Hampton area showed a fair amount of downed and broken trees, branches everywhere. The ocean on the south side was wild and dramatic as hell.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Well, just got back from 8 hours at harbor..
At about 2pm all hell broke loose and the wind went from a steady Easterly 25, which we're protected from, to a fully exposed SW 40/50 with gusts over that for a solid 5 hours.....
We lost 14 moored boats in the first 2 hours ....Most landed on beach 4 smashed into rocks including a 70's 28 Luhrs that looked like it was placed there by a crane and sustained little damage but will probably get trashed tonight at high tide....and a 2005 28' Bayliner that literally disintegrated upon impact..... surprise..!!!! ...It's everywhere...

Geez I sound like one of those CNN reporters..

Still not much doing on land except for some downed branches...

Ray
Last edited by tunawish on Aug 28th, '11, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Boats made it through, minor roof and siding damage. Flood waters were as high as Gloria, first floor is toast and so is everything down there. It could have been much worse.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
scot

Post by scot »

Good to hear mostly good reports! Dodging hurricane bullets and not having to deal with months of insurance adjusters, out of town contractors, clean up, etc is a REALLY good think!

Glad to hear many of you guys families, homes and boats are accounted for!
Scot
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sounds like all is well......glad to here that everyone came thru the storm without major incident.

I guess from here we can all get back to a normal life.

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Only briefly, Harry, only briefly...

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ed Curry wrote:Boats made it through, minor roof and siding damage. Flood waters were as high as Gloria, first floor is toast and so is everything down there. It could have been much worse.
I hope you guys removed personal items from the 1st floor. Either way I'm glad you made it through without problem. It's just stuff, if I can help out let me know.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think it was the best of a worse case scenario.

Pulled the boat.

Yanked all the appliances out of the lower level of house...good thing as they would have all been toast with two feet of ocean water in house.

Boats fine...think I'll leave it on land till next year as I have to rip out and install new floors, walls and kitchen cabinets etc. Another foot would have wiped out the next level....kids rooms and living room....so I figure I got away lucky.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thankfully our only real close call was near flooding at our flood prone plant. But the power stayed on, and the pumps pumped, and all was well. A moist basement but that was nothing!

Boat is fine by reports, as is the house. I am going to head down to the coast tonight to take the hurricane screens off the house, and put the plug back in the boat.

We prepped for the worst and didn't get it. Much better than the other way around!

I'm glad that most here are safe. I say most, because I don't know if anyone really got hit! Sounds like most got a nudge, not a whack. We lost phone service but have power etc. We call it twigageddon!!! Sticks down everywhere!!!!

Thankfully!

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

ok...this is a miracle. our power goes out if it gets cloudy. all of amagansett ,a large portion of montauk, east hampton and bridgehampton, sag harbor and half of shelter island with out power. but for some strange reason we have electricity on our side of the street. went to my friends bar in amagansett last night.....eerie. hes runnin on the gen but the rest of the town was black!
capy

Post by capy »

tunawish wrote:8:30 am 8 Miles North of Boston on the coast 10 mph steady wind gusts to 15 mph...off/on rain.. Harbor relatively flat... They say gusts could hit 40 mph.. Like Randall said, we've had thunder storms that were far worse..
If you listened to the Governor yesterday you think Armageddon was coming... It's absolutely amazing how the news agencies stir this up into a frenzy and the millions if not billions of dollars spent and wasted ... All the articles like to use specific words like "slammed" and "massive" especially when written by CNN reporters.. It seems to be the news reporters more than the weathermen... Hell one radio station here was still reporting yesterday that it could hit us as a Cat 2 after it had been downgraded to a Cat 1.. while it was still in Virginia...!!
It's all about ratings and BS .. In my opinion...

I'm sure it will get worse here as the day progresses but come on shutting down the trains and buss's because NYC, who expected a direct hit, did..??? I'm all behind being prepared and giving the public warning but it's just damned wasteful to sensationalize every friggin storm we get, summer or winter.....

Ok I'm done ....Watch... now the tree in the back yard will come down and my B20 will get crushed..!!

Do hope all of you made it through OK....

Ray
Ray.

I can't agree more......the hype and reporting of this one, Irene, is going to get a lot of people killed the next time we have a a cat 3 or 4 hit.

I was way out in western mass all last week camping with my family, in the berkshires, very remote. Cell phonne coverage is non-existant in the valleys cause of the steepness of the relatively low elevation mountains (1200-1600').

Monitoring what I could from the ranger station, NOAA sat imagery, I concluded by thursday that the storm was gonna peter out. Friday morning I climbed a 1400' mountain with my wife and seven year old son, we reached the summit in about an hour, and lo and behold I had three bars on my cell phone!!! I had a bunch of messages warning me about the hurricane asking me about what I was gonna do about my boat.....

I had a nice chat with everybody and they all seemed shocked that I wasn't concerned, i.e., haven't you watched the news???? I replied no, but I have seen some sat pictures once a day since wednesday.

Andre, sure was great to chat with you.

Paul
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Looks like Bay Head NJ to Seaside was basically under water. Could not get to the house in Ocean Beach III yesterday due to water level. Bay head was still closed as of 8pm last night. Mantaloking Bridge was closed also. Only access was from the Route 37 Bridge into Seaside.
scot

Post by scot »

Damn Capt...why did you have to go and show me that chart!!! Have you seen any long range steering forecast? The Gulf is a bath tub, 87 degrees last temp reports I saw.
Scot
Carl

Post by Carl »

capy wrote:

I'll disagree with you on this...to an extent.

Was it hyped up the Ying-Yang. Absolutely Yes, No doubt about that...

I cannot say about anyplace else, but for my area, we only needed winds to be up another few mph higher and the damage would have been huge.

Tie up your boat at the marina any way you want but when the docks float over the pilings...its goodbye boat, marina and all...from what I figure we only needed another two feet for that to happen...thats only a couple mph difference in wind...they clocked 65mph.

I'll take the predictions and the warnings...wish they would lose the hype.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lost power for 24 hours but the boat and house made it fine. The lagoon the boat is in was lower than in the last NE we had.

Long Beach Island looks like it was not impacted. They did not even loose power.

Lets see what the next one brings. Still would have liked to have been able to pull the boat.

I know everyone says over hyped. But remember, it came apart in the last 24 hours. Had it stayed together we would have been in big trouble.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I agree with you Tony!! The looks of this thing scared the crap out of me 24 hour out!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

For those of you who think they storm was over hyped... I re-iterate, nearly the entire drive from the coast of CT to the MA border on 395 had no cell service and no power. Even in MA, it was spotty. Lets not even go to Upstate NY and VT. And if you own a boat, remember all that stuff that comes out of flooded rivers ends up floating in the sound. There will be an obstacle course in the ocean for the coming weeks. Be careful!!! Been there, done that. It was a big tree...
scot

Post by scot »

I agree Dug,

"media hyp" is always based on how a hurricane effects YOU. If you sat around watching the news and weather and never even lost your power or AC...the storm was media hyp. If you live in upstate NY or VT and you have lost your home, your place of busness, or loved ones...the storm was not media hyp.

Hurricanes are always that way. Some get nothing, some lose everything and some die.

After IKE I didn't even have an insurance claim, no damage at all. My relatives, friends and neighbors had 5-7ft of water in their homes. I don't think I would have been too popular telling those folks that IKE was "media hyp"

If you have no damage from IRENE, count yourself lucky and try to help the people that were not so lucky.
Scot
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

scot wrote:I agree Dug,

"media hyp" is always based on how a hurricane effects YOU. If you sat around watching the news and weather and never even lost your power or AC...the storm was media hyp. If you live in upstate NY or VT and you have lost your home, your place of busness, or loved ones...the storm was not media hyp.

Hurricanes are always that way. Some get nothing, some lose everything and some die.

After IKE I didn't even have an insurance claim, no damage at all. My relatives, friends and neighbors had 5-7ft of water in their homes. I don't think I would have been too popular telling those folks that IKE was "media hyp"

If you have no damage from IRENE, count yourself lucky and try to help the people that were not so lucky.
Scot, Dug, Tony others...
That makes sense.. After seeing video of Vermont this morning .. I never anticipated that level of damage that far inland... From a tropical storm no less ..... Hey when I'm wrong I'm wrong... certainly wasn't looking to downplay any ones misfortune...

Ray
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Regarding the "hype" of the storm -- there was no "hype" when the 91mph wind literally blew a threebank set of windows I had just had installed on my frontporch -- fortunately they were hurricane rated to Category 5 and the windows themselves did not break, the stainless steel screwheads actually sheared off from the pressure of the wind. Also not hyped would be the light fixture that snapped off on the front of my house, or the seaweed et al that is now underneath. Fortunately, I am on concrete piers, so when Long Island Sound decided to cross the beach, come over the seawall, it went underneath me. My neighbors who are not on piers as high were not so lucky.

At last count 28 beachfront homes in East Haven were washed away -- their foundations/footings are there, nothing else is.

At last count, 36 people lost their lives in this storm.

Was it the "Perfect Storm?" Hell no -- it coult have been much, much worse -- however, it was not "hype."

I have a photo on facebook showing the waves crashing over the seawall where I live -- the seawall is normally 500 feet from the water and stands 4' high. The waves crashed over the seawall as if it wasn't there.

Interestingly enough, my conctractor must be a magician with installing vinyl siding -- because not a piece is missing, nor damaged!!!!

Tom
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

No Hype here, if Jim Cantore shows up in your town, run his ass off as fast as you can, he is like a damn magnate with storms.

He's not as bold as he once was, after riding out Ivan and Katrina on the N.E. quadrun of the eye, he definitley has more respect now for what power Hurricanes have.

No such thing as Huricane proof, just lucky! Small, Large, they all cause damage. Respect comes very quickly after you've had your monkey rattled in one.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

1 1/2 feet of water in the Ocean Beach house. Smells like a dead crab house. Most of the furniture is toast. Insulation needs to be replaced. Waterlogged, and growing mold already.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Finally...power back in the Harbor of Sag......just this afternoon.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:1 1/2 feet of water in the Ocean Beach house. Smells like a dead crab house. Most of the furniture is toast. Insulation needs to be replaced. Waterlogged, and growing mold already.
Joe

It is crazy how some areas along the beach in NJ got beat up and others did not. I keep the boat in Forked River and we have had more water in the lagoon during a good North East Storm. Good luck on the clean up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315