Haul or not to haul, what do you think?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Haul or not to haul, what do you think?

Post by Dug »

So Boat U.S. will reimburse 50% of my hauling costs for the named storm. So that means that it will only cost me $210 bucks to yank Alchemy for the weekend.

What do you think???
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Cheap at twice the price...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

At the rate that the track is pushing to the east, I would guess that the only landfall is going to be Cape Cod. That said, the surge is still going to be pretty severe. I would take the canvas off, at least. If you're in a protected area you might be ok......but for 200 bucks.......what was your question?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Dug, make sure that they have pad eyes sunk into the ground .so that the boat can be tied down. first year since 1979 that I don't have a boat in the water. of course it's in a building in New Jersy, hope it's a strong building. good luck to all...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Carl

Post by Carl »

For $210, it's worth the piece of mind. Then you only have to worry about the business and home.

Carl
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

HAUL IT NOW! Don't even think twice about it. Much safer out than in.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yeah, guys, that was my thought. Heading down tonight to bring it to the yard. I'll strip all the canvas and such on Saturday am. Storm is supposed to hit here, in whatever form on sunday. It will at least rain up here...

My slip is pretty shallow, so high water might not be good. Low water would be disastrous.

Thanks for the input!

D
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

mike ohlstein wrote:At the rate that the track is pushing to the east, I would guess that the only landfall is going to be Cape Cod. That said, the surge is still going to be pretty severe. I would take the canvas off, at least. If you're in a protected area you might be ok......but for 200 bucks.......what was your question?
Mike...You don't think its gonna run through Hampton Bays or Montauk ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

Bertramp wrote: Mike...You don't think its gonna run through Hampton Bays or Montauk ?

most of the models are 38 all over again. maybe it'll cut a few new inlets.
scot

Post by scot »

DUg,

This is the Pleasure Island Marina. Port Arthur, Texas after IKE. It "was" COMPLETELY full of boats. IKE's eye came ashore 50 miles to the west.

Down there somewhere is my friends 31 Bertram....but hey, it's your call.

Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
scot

Post by scot »

Found the pic of Ron's 31. Took me a couple of hours to locate the boat when I first got into the marina. About 6-8" of the flybridge above water.

Last edited by scot on Aug 25th, '11, 07:48, edited 2 times in total.
Scot
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Was that on the Northeast & Eastside of the eye Scot?

Baaaad News,

DQ
Last edited by Capt. DQ on Aug 24th, '11, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
scot

Post by scot »

Doug that was the east side..eye came in 50 miles to the west. Everything in that marina survived RITA, with the eye passing directly over head (CAT 3).

That's why everyone figured they would be OK....wrong! IKE was much less of a storm but the surge was unbelievable. Flooded damn near everything between 3-7 miles inland out to 70 miles east of the eye.
Last edited by scot on Aug 24th, '11, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Scot
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Roger that, Scot. Not a pretty picture.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Don't hesitate. The cost of the pull is less than loosing the boat. I tried and unfortunately the travel lift at the Marina I use broke down yesterday and they are waiting for a part. Hopefully I can get out on Saturday. Marina's that don't know you are putting strangers to the back of the line.

Picked up more lines and snubbers today at West Marine. The manager said that I was the only one he has seen this week even resembling someone who is trying to get ready for the storm.

They will probably be mobbed on Friday.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Still does look like it's going to hit smack on Hampton Bays......

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug,
I'd pull the boat, $210 is short money, like Tom Oaks said today, it's easier to fix a boat on land than one that's underwater. Plus it's more than likely time to replace you shaft zincs for the rest of the season.
The storm is going east of Stuart, Fl. but they say we are going to get up to 30 to 50 miles per hour gusts in feeder bands on Thursday according to the local limp wristed weatherman on West Palm TV.

Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Mike,
Shinnecock Inlet was created by the hurricane of 1938. Let's hope this one does not take it back. There are a few open slips at Indian Cove if you need to move from across the bay.
Harry
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

What do you guys think about being on a lift in your slip?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Harry Woods wrote:Mike,
Shinnecock Inlet was created by the hurricane of 1938. Let's hope this one does not take it back. There are a few open slips at Indian Cove if you need to move from across the bay.
Harry
I actually have the boat in the Hempstead Harbor at the moment, in a very protected marina. But thanks.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

jspiezio wrote:What do you guys think about being on a lift in your slip?
Not a good idea...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

1. Homeowner's premium paid in full in June.
2. Flood Insurance premium paid in full last week.
3. Category 5 hurricane rated windows installed in June.
4. All outdoor furniture and any potential flying objects brought inside.
5. All items in garage picked off floor and put on shelving 5 feet off ground.
6. All porch furntiture brought inside (porch is 10" lower then interior).
7. All doors and windows locked and closed.
8. Boat pulled from slip, on trailer and plug pulled. No loose objects in her.

Am I missing anything regarding my beach house?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Photograph everything for a "before" documentation...
scot

Post by scot »

Tom,

Don't forget to turn off the power, water and gas (propane, etc). I would also run a line(s) from something well anchored to the boat trailer.
What do you guys think about being on a lift in your slip?
As the Capt said "not a good idea". Many of the slips in the above picture "had" boats hanging from slings.

Good luck
Scot
Dug

Post by Dug »

I delivered the boat to the marina yesterday evening, and they should haul her today. they said I am now in the schedule.

They sound tense, which means they are hauling like crazy...

I think people are finally waking up here...

Dug
Ric

Post by Ric »

hi dug
the fact that you are able to be hauled out in and of itself dictates you do..I called yesterday and found out there were 29 boats in front of me that called to be hauled out.I called annother marina and he is swamped also. The merrimac river here in newburyport has a 7knt current and a very small window of 2 hours before the top of the tide the slack and the first 2 hours of the outgoing and thats it,, given the number of boats here it is impossible to make it happen for everybody that wants to> PRICE is not the issue,,
,,,to few haulers,,,to little time and way to many boats,,,,,,,,, :?.,. ,.,.,,,,I got a bad feeling,,,,about this one .,.,.,.they been crying wolf for the last 4 years and nothing....everybody passes it off as annother hysteria promulgated by the weathermen......i say .,.,.,OH OHH,,,
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

My 28 was pulled today. It is blocked up in Rock Hall, MD and we will see some surge for sure. During Isabel the surge was about 6-7 feet and a mess of boats ended up in fields, on highways, etc.

My question for those who have been through this before: Should I pull the plug or not?

Thanks,

JD
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JD,

Regardless of hurricane or not, always pull the drain plug when on the hard. With the plug in, and especially if in the path of a storm, rain water can fill up the bilges pretty quick. That additional weight could cause a blocking failure and or hull damage.

Br,

Patrick
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Capt. Pat,

Thanks a million. Those were my thoughts but I wanted to check and see If I was missing "something".

Warm Regards,

JD
Bruce Sweet

Post by Bruce Sweet »

I just left my dock in Tequesta, Fl. just inside Jupiter Inlet at 1930 hrs.. Irene passed almost exactly 170 miles east of us and we still had a plus 2.75 high tide,just under the dock boards. now that is water coming in little tiny Jupiter Inlet . The point i am making is that any of you fellows up in the northeast, in particular the New jersey, long island area will have 200-300 miles of waves piling up BEFORE the storm even gets to you. We are securing all of our marine equipment[ Tugs, barges, etc.] up in that area with the thought of an unbelievable tidal surge.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

CaptPatrick wrote:JD,

Regardless of hurricane or not, always pull the drain plug when on the hard. With the plug in, and especially if in the path of a storm, rain water can fill up the bilges pretty quick. That additional weight could cause a blocking failure and or hull damage.

Br,

Patrick
I believe there was a 31 express with (as I remember CAT 3116s) that sold from Montauk some years back that "sank on the hard" due to a plug not being pulled. Someone on here might own it...hope that wasn't too much info.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Well, the latest is to expect 4-8 feet of surge above ground level in my area. With the plug pulled, I'm OK to about 6 1/2 or so (guessing).

I suppose even if I didn't fill up with water, and she floated off, the results would be just as disastrous so....

The canvas is coming down, plug pulled and personal effects being removed this afternoon / evening.

I wish all of the faithful on the East Coast the best of luck! Stay safe.

JD
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JD,

A storm surge isn't as speedy as a tsunami...

The water will rise at a slower pace and along with rain your bilge will pretty much equalize with the rising water, so you shouldn't worry too much about the boat floating off the jack stands. When the water receeds, your bilge will drain.

Use a screen and some weights, configured to keep the drain hole from getting plugged by debris...

Br,

Patrick
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just brought mine over to the marina to haul out, cheap insurance and peace of mind since ill be buesy restoring power. $10 per ft and boat us picks up 250
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Dumb Q- Remove all canvas? assume because it acts as a sail? or leave canvas that covers windsheild and electronics - mine just covers those and goes over seats...rest of boat is open....and yes - she is now on the hard in Cos Cob, CT - thanks to all
Dug

Post by Dug »

Exactly the reason to remove the canvas, that and you don't want it shredded.

8' above mean high in CT. It just dawned on my parents what we have to do. I am headed down in about 10 minutes to get my life raft out of the basement (guess why!) and so on... and probably mandatory evacuation as of tomorrow at noon.

So, so glad the boat is out. Dad opted not to. I haven't a clue why... I think he is regretting the decision today.

Dug
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mandatory evacuation here on Kent Island starting noon tomorrow. Its all about the storm surge.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

O.K before the storm I was thinking about the plug out verse being in.
My thoughts were most of us fish so we have self bailing deck so most water will go out through the scuppers and then bilge pumps as back up.
Well just yesterday talking to a friend upstate N.Y in Kingston his boat was out of the water up on a hill away from the river in a spot that never has flooded before. Well that was before Irene, water reached his boat pushed it of the stands and it sunk because the plug was out.

Another one of those Dam if you Do Dammed if you don't!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I learned my lesson here. The topic of to haul or not to haul will likely not come up again soon for me. We got lucky and a 4 foot surge on a new moon tide was manageable. If we got the higher end of that 7 feet or more I would have been in trouble staying in the water.

God help us if we ever get a cat 3.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dan

Look at it this way, if it did not sink and it floated away, it would probably be somewhere around the statue of liberty by now.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Down here in S. Jersey, about 70 miles South of where it hit the mainland, we got wind and little else. I have a basement 500 feet from the bay and it had 1/2 inch of water which was gone by Tuesday.I got lucky again, although the people up in Vermont seemed to have really gotten hit. It must be demoralizing to lose everything you owned. God bless them.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I ran up the Conn river to Hartford. Wind and one foot waves. Came back Monday to Jacksons which was a total wreck. All the boats on stands were inches from floating off. Docks A,B,C were all shot and have to be rebuilt including the gas dock.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Tony Meola wrote:Dan

Look at it this way, if it did not sink and it floated away, it would probably be somewhere around the statue of liberty by now.
Well actually someone got a line on it as the water was rising but did not know the plug was out.

Well we all do the best we can and hope for the best!

Brewster did you have a lot of crap floating downriver on Monday friend says its a mess right now.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

For the first half then clear.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Brew:

I wish I knew you were running up to Hartford --- Kona and I would have come and said hi -- we had some wind blow for couple hours late in the day, but no where near what happened on the shoreline and LI -- Kona loved the storm, until a tree branch snapped in a windgust about 100yards from him.

Good luck with the cleanup -- I'm getting down to Old Lyme this weekend to get the seaweed out from under the house and get the windows put back in.

Tom