Bow chock

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Peter Palmieri :

The anchor ball system is great BUT the storage space is limited on our boats ( ball + bucket ). When the kids or guests are with me they can use the foot pedals. When I am by myself I use the cordless remote control.

http://www.lewmar.com/products.asp?id=8 ... &channel=1

I'm OK with one cleat BUT 2 is better.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Good point Gerry. I don't mind making a mess of the deck while fishing but when we've got the family and friends out for a cruise having the anchor and line in the cockpit would be a drag. I also don't regularly anchor in big water. Love the remote very slick.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gerry

How far up do you raise the anchor when you lift with the power winch? I assume at some point you need to go up on the bow to lift the anchor into the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Think I am going to go with the bow chock, two cleats and a larger oval hawes pipe centered behind the cleats. Also need to move the anchor holding bracket forward to it's original position.

As far as the two cleats go, should I use a metal backing plate or epoxied ply?
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Use metal like 1/4 aluminum if possible. Those cleats will have a lot of tension appliled during a wind storm.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I wish I had two cleats, will change my one to two one of these days....and maybe two cleats with s Samson's post in the middle? And the strongest backing palte you can find....I like the aluminum. I made a backing plate for my fighting chair out of half inch aluminum and cut it to fit with a saber saw....trick to cutting it, use WD-40 as the coolant/lube and a lot of it...oil or CX won't do, need something light to flush out the cut particles.

And on the hawes pipe, make sure you gdt the kind with the spring loaded top vs. the loose top with the flimsy bead chain......how do I know?....

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My backing plate for my fighting chair was also made from 1/2" aluminum. Damn thing was 4 foot square too! We glassed it right to the bottom of the new deck when we made it, then drilled and tapped it for the mounting plate of the chair to bolt directly into it.

Rock solid, you could have picked the boat up by it!

UV -- how come you never told me about the little bead chain problem.....before I learned the hard way too?
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I made this pulpit a couple of years ago out of fiberglass with a plywood core using a mold I made. It's larger than I would like, but it isn't as gaudy as some.

Dick
<div><embed width="480" height="360" sr ... </a></div>
Last edited by Skipper Dick on Sep 20th, '11, 12:45, edited 3 times in total.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Edited for you

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Peter,

I have all of the Al you'll need for every backing plate on the boat.

Anything to get that damn POD out of my driveway......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Aluminum sinkers? Boy would they have to be big to find bottom!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mike,

I am going to take you up on the offer just have measure where the cleats are going to go.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I used to make aluminum wad cutters for my .357 Magnum. They didn't carry far, but at close range (10 to 30 feet) they would destroy a 3 inch phone book and you didn't have to worry about the damn thing going through a wall.

Dick
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter what you describe in your post is my setup . i did not want to start WW. lll concerning early to later year f/g lay up so lets just say my 1973 fbc was a exception . capt patrick saw the underside of the v-berth without ceiling . the front deck is 11/4"thick from the factory (untouch green glass) with 1" marine plywood laminated with 1/4" glass on top and a few lay ups on the inside.
i have a 316ss oval chain and rope deck pipe by suncor.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

You've got some good ideas, I'm gonna steal this one too. I will likely turn the hawsepipe 90 degrees though. Anything you would have done differently?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I would have set the cleats back a bit. If you're going to custom make line to fit properly so that you just have to loop the cleat or post....... when you're that close to the chock it's a little harder to get chafe guard on the line. Six inches back, and you have no problem.

Bob?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Peter,

Consider moving the cleats back to where Bob has his deck pipe, you can move the deck pipe to port or stbd it won't be out of place either way. The further away from the edge of the boat your cleats are the safer it will be for the people putting on the ropes.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter the opening of the deck pipe has to face opposite the water for obvious reasons . there is a strong SS spring built in that keeps the door tightly closed but when you open it you slide it to left and it stays open to get chain coupling thru then slid to right and it snaps close----user friendly!!!.
the cleat to bow distance was predicated from the original single cleat .i used the existing outer 5/16" holes to line up with two cleat system ,try to avoid a repair paint situation on a finish product . oh! the one cleat system sucks absolutely the worst !!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

How close are those cleats to the bow chock? From the picture you posted, the one on my 75 looks like it sits further back.

I think this spring I will add the second cleat also.

What is the best way to beef up the whole deck. Glass in 1/2 plywood that has been cut to the shape of the deck going from edge to edge and corner to corner or is there a better way?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think I will go to two cleats as well. I was thinking about it during Hurricane Irene.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
capy

Post by capy »

I have three

3 12" ss...........comes in handy when "rafting" up ..........HOWDY!!!!
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

clean and simple- cleats sit away from the edge, deck pipe out of the way and windless on center.

The G-hook is used to attach the anchor line and chain together, you can also use it to add another shot of anchor line if needed.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

JP - I like that....what kind of windlas is that, and where is the switch?

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Thanks UV,

The windless was on the girl when we got her, had the parts rechromed, I've gotta stick my head in the locker to find out again.

The solenoid would be activated from the flybridge, this way its a 2 man operation and someone can keep an eye on the person up front. Can't tell you the last time we used it, the ball is faster in deep water and keeps everyone in the cockpit.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

JP, I really like that location allows the cleats to move back and also allows the line to easily flow out of the deck pipe and around a cleat.

Has anyone considered splitting the locker so in use anchor line is on one side and additional line can be on the other without having to dig out underneath the anchor line?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vic: I have a Lewmar just like that on mine, but with a single factory cleat. The waterproof push button for mine is on the deck by the starboard rail near the gunnel so that you can tail the line and wind at the same time.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very nice jp . i try to avoid the repaint and usually the part two of the imron,awlgrip,or endura is dryed out ,a bitch when you need a ounce! like i said the two cleat system was put on after a bad situation with the one cleat.
this is a cross section of the deck after cutting out for the installation of the rope@ chain pipe . i have work on a 1964,two 1967, 0ne 70,72 ,73 and a 79 in the yard none of them had this deck build up . yes two elephants could sit on the deck but most important this support runs from bow to windshield tab into v-berth bulkhead and underdeck stringers . the windshield composite is tie in to it making a one piece contruction . this is the most prone part of a powerboat to show structural faults due to constant pounding into the waves.

here is another look of the two cleat setup using existing 5/16" bolt holes

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

So Bob, what are those fancy braded line crimp things?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I don't know either, Mike. However, I must say that based on that fiberglass and plywood layup, there must have been a B31 parked on the bow of Bob's! That is some heavy layup!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i use them in my home slip totally protected from the elements.i use the factory made loops on my regular lines. mike did you ever look at the underside of your deck from v-berth ceiling ? i still have no idea why mine came from bertram this way . i have a 3/4" plywood backer glass in to the underside of the gunnel and have only seen a few with this add on , definite factory installed with green tinted glass lay up. the 67 fbc deck you could use as a spring board------------------what gives??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm going to cut a hole in the deck pretty soon, so I'll let you know.....

I have 3/4" ply under the gunwales too.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The liner is down in my v berth and there is no ply wood. Forward of the locker compartment is a bit of a mess I will have take pictures with a real camera w/flash and see what's there. To the sides of the bow hatch is a bit "springy".

I did notice when putting in the bridge seats factory glassed in ply on the rear end of the bridge deck. But it does not extend all the way forward it stops about 16" from the front of the bridge deck.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

My 73 B31 had plywood also glassed in by the factory -- but not as thick as yours, Bob!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks tom at least we have a concrete evidence it was not some special order one on one , perhaps they did this change for the 1973 year only????? tom do you have 3/4" marine plywood laminated under the gunwale. mine starts at the mid ship cleat and goes all the way around to the opposite mid ship cleat. another question under the v-berth bertram laminated this deck to 4 stringers that run from bow to v-berth entry bulkhead then they laminated along side mahogony strips to hold up the oem. vinyl on plywood ceiling rather then just put the ceiling screws into the stringers, sort of redundant i would think.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I know I have plywood up front. I am not sure how thick it is. Have to look this weekend. I do know that under the gunwale is 3/4. Is it possible that at some point Bertram felt that since they were using 3/4 for the deck, it was just as cheap to use it in other places rather than use 1/2?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bob:

Yes, my boat had 3/4" marine ply under the gunwhale -- there was no flex there, nor on my forward deck either. I never had to cut into the bow of the boat, so I don't know how thick the plywood was that was glassed in up there, but it was in the green resin and very visible when I replaced the headliner up there.

Tom
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

As it turns out there was plywood glassed in very poorly supporting the deck in the anchor locker and there is no plywood under the headliner accept where it supports the windshield. It was to hard to get a decent pic with lack of light. Wood doesn't seem wet but the glass holding it up is poorly done and a huge mess.

Should I replace what was done in the anchor locker and if so with what?

Just looked at Spencers work and am wondering if I need support under the headliner to the sides and behind the bow hatch?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I'd like to replace the plywood backing in the anchor locker while I am putting back the bow chock, deck pipe and moving the cleats. Can I use coosa board for this? And if so how?

As I understand I can not use self taping screws into the coosa and everything needs a backing plate.

Is this a good idea and where can I pick up coosa board?