NE Rendezvous Return

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

NE Rendezvous Return

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob Fiorese's Frayed Knot and me and Bluebeard left Greenport a little after noon after a morning of intense rain and strong SW Winds. The run to Montauk was better than I thought it would be despite several changes of weather and lots of lobster pots along the way. Dug, Liz and Marley left on the Alchemy before the weather laid down. Looking for a report from them. It was a great Rendezvous with eleven boats attending. Many thanks to all who helped make it a success. It was good to see our Capt. Patrick and Harry Babb and his family who made the long trip to join us.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Did everyone make it out ok to Greenport and back? I know that Saturday night it got pretty nasty on the south shore of LI. Any mechanical issues?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Wickes and I got home in 1 footers in 30 mins. It was awsome to see everyone. Wickes said he cant wait till next year.
Dug

Post by Dug »

It was a great weekend, and I do like the idea of evaluating Mystic Seaport as a venue for next summer. I am happy to check out the level of willingness on behalf of the seaport.

As Walter said, we did take off about 10:15-10:30 in the morning. He also got it right that we left before it laid down. All indications were that the rain was going to end. WRONG. No biggie though, the boat has an enclosure and I've been out in worse. It was great to see everyone, I cannot believe how many of the kids have grown, and just hanging out on the docks never seems to get old. Good times, and I thank you all my friends for that!

The ride home was bumpy, but I had wind direction that was either direct starboard, quartering tail, or tail wind. We ran behind the squall that left as we did for about half the ride home, but once we hit the race, the next rain line caught up and we were deep in it all the way to the dock. Hey, the boat got rinsed pretty well! Coming through the race, and by Plum Island, it was typically big sloppy waves, so I asked Marly and Liz to ride below so could use the seat (marly takes the whole thing...) and it was much better. Rumor has it that it was not all that bad below either, except for the leaks. Yup, they are there...

Anyway, no worries, we got home safe and sound, and Liz got a solid nap in the afternoon. Good stuff!

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Dug wrote:It was a great weekend, and I do like the idea of evaluating Mystic Seaport as a venue for next summer. I am happy to check out the level of willingness on behalf of the seaport.

Dug
Hey Dug

I just got done doing that for the HOF July 30th at the Boat Shed in the Seaport. Got lucky because it was not booked never would have made the minimum $$$. I'll drop you a pm and you can call and I'll fill you in on what I know. For us it turned out great.

Glad you guys had another good one.

Dan

Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

phoenix ran into very strong head winds coming home. bad chop,waves close together. these props threw threw the wot. speed way off boats only makes 32.5 knots but fuel economy is great. we went 148miles on 68gallons of fuel.on a straight run at cruise we burn 12 gallons a hour if you carry that further we get the same fuel economy as a 26' center console with twin 150 hp yamaha outboards . makes no sense at all 30'6" long x 11' 6" wide versus 26' x 8' 6" sleeping quarters/ nice galley with micro/refri/sink.a sit down table for four people .and a stand up head. best boat in the world. post is a little off subject but i was driving on the final leg and thinking about that rainstorm/windstorm in a outboard/CC. ridiculous if they only knew. i had to put music on to keep from sleeping leaning back in that easy chair running with the hand held auto pilot drink my coffee. great time,great dinner and fun for children in greenport blacksmith shop.-------------out
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i hit rain on the LIE but got through it ok
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

The trip back to Sag Harbor via my Jeep Wrangler was uneventful.
Had a great time .... and can't believe that I won the Guy Harvey poster that I schlepped from FLA to NY a month ago and had to schlepp back down on monday.
All good .... and I gotta say my vote for captain of the weekend goes to a 13yr old on Bahia Moon .... the kid can run a boat !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:i hit rain on the LIE but got through it ok
Now that's funny!!

Going home was a whole lot quicker then going out in the afternoon...that is for sure!

Carl
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We had a great time, it was a pleasure to meet everyone or see them again. Wish I could have spent more time with the guys I only spoke briefly with. Dinner with Carl and his family was great.

On the way out Saturday sunrise hwy was CLOSED, not fun. We took my wife's altima home, avg about 28mpg. That's fully loaded, stroller, pak-n-play, diapers and all.

A big thanks to all the guys that worked hard to make it a good time.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Any photos of the event ?
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

ZeroCavity wrote:Any photos of the event ?
A couple on the wife's camera, which she has showed to many on our dock...but she hasn't given them up to me yet.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Great to see you all as usual... Thanks for a great time!!!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Just got back home to Alabama this afternoon.....great trip

This year I got to just simply sit and chat with several of my Bertram Brothers....

Bob and I rode over to Giffs maina, sat on the back of Shearwater and shared a cool one while visiting for an hour or so in the cool northern evening air.......moment in time to remember forever.....thanks

Special thank to the hospitality extend to me by the Higgins Family.....and all the years in the past.

This year brought new faces and new aquaitainces.....Carl (SIM).....Steve Kelly (Bertramp) and Peter Palamari.

Thanks to Harv for the Tee Shirt work....good job! ! and thanks to Brewester we had a great Lobster dinner

All in all.....thanks to everyone who worked so hard to pull off such a wonderful rendezvous......not an easy task I am sure.

Captian Patrick McCrary.....you done a good thang here......thank you my friend

Harry
hb
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Harry ... great meeting you too !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Westwater left at 7 am, 5-7 foot beam sea entire ride home, she rode like a cadillac taking spray up and over the top, 4 1/2 hours later we landed in Fairhaven, then off to PT Judith to take part in the tri state canyon shoot out, met up with Gif and Chris at Block Island and tried to wrangle some Patron off him, said he had enough in Greeport..at weigh in met up with Marky and Jr, we took 2nd in Yellowfin Calcutta 5K payout.. a week to remember...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
neil

Post by neil »

we are still out cruising,spent most of the week in mv then it was off to block now we are in port jeff and on our way home tomorrow
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

neil wrote:we are still out cruising,spent most of the week in mv then it was off to block now we are in port jeff and on our way home tomorrow
Sounds like a blast.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

neil wrote:we are still out cruising,spent most of the week in mv then it was off to block now we are in port jeff and on our way home tomorrow
Neil...All the best to you, thanks for the ride and my hats off to the captain of "the Moon", as it was real clear who runs that boat !!
Congrats Dad, doing a great job with the kid !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
neil

Post by neil »

We made it home yesterday and here's some of the pics from the Rendevous and our trip.

gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks all for the great time. It was great seeing everyone. We spent most of the week in BI, then followed up with a night in Pt Judith an don to Portsmouth for 1 night before heading home.

Dug- Come on, who are you kidding.....you just love that spray over the top

Walter- From you experience wish I had left for Montauk......surf was good Sunday afternoon from what I heard.

Bob-Glad to hear you were in the $$

Harry- Still almost no belt dust....thanks for th tip.

Captain Pat- I'm asking Santa for a barometer!

Neal & Neal - Hope Sunday morning was not too bad for your outside stretch.

Brewster - Weaning the lad on a good event...glad he enjoyed it. As always th elobsters were great.

Jeff- I'll send you an email on 1st year tips for engineers...and it won't recomend Patron

Can't wait until next year......
Giff
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif, I guess I should get used to it! Spray is all I've been getting lately!!! :)
Dug

Post by Dug »

Duh!!! Fantastic pictures!!!!!!!
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Neil, Is that Vineyard Haven? The pic with you between the two giant clorox bottles..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
neil

Post by neil »

No it's Edgartown, we went there for a day just to check it out.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

neil wrote:
Bob,

I thought I remembered you only having a single cleat on the bow over the winter, maybe I am mistaken. Otherwise you snuck that one in on us.

I am planning on tackling the project of ripping off my sword fish pulpit before the fall run. I've got a bow chock on the way. While I am doing that I'd like to reposition my cleats. Do you have an idea of how far back and apart your cleats are?

Pete
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter we had the single cleat last year and it was rather differcult tying up a fire island with a single forty foot line from around pole to midship cleat and then to front cleat adjusting the boat to be 6" or less from dock so the grandchildren don`t endanger themselves going ashore 19 times a day . i made a double cleat by using the existing 4 holes of the one cleat as outside holes for the two cleats. easy improvement with great results each line port and starboard must be free of each other to adjust the boat to sit that close to the dock.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Wasn't 2 cleats at the bow standard? The bow chock is designed for 2 bow ropes, one rope to each cleat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Walter K wrote:Wasn't 2 cleats at the bow standard? The bow chock is designed for 2 bow ropes, one rope to each cleat.
Walter

Bertram only put one cleat on from the factory. The second cleat was added usually by the dealer.

Bob

Whose cleat did you use and do they match the originals.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Tony I gotta say I beg to differ... Cant see any sealed up holes in the gel where a single cleat would have been mounted...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony like every single metal object other then the bertram chock i used stainless 316ss by suncor .the spring loaded 316ss rope deck plate is sea dog.i figured what the hell do it one time and it last for life. by using the inside two holes of the new cleats match up with the existing outside two holes -----------------no painting.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

OMG. who or whom were the two dudes arguing with me on the the boat being waxed. phoenix has never had a can, bottle of wax near it in 11years.i painted white then 1500 and 2000 wet sand and went over with perfect 11 rubbing compound never even went over with 3m swirl remover just left it that way. wax is the furthest thing from my mind-----honest
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Whaler

Our boat came throghfrom the factory one cleat. When we were looking around the only dealer who sold them with two at the time was Stone Harbor Yacht sales and they told us they added the second cleat since the factory did not do it.

Maybe on the older boats they put two on but I know in 1975 they did not.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Thanks nice material on the suncor website.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Before

After

1965/2007 Bertram 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,
That picture will serve as a good template thanks. I've got plenty of CX in the garage so stop by some time.

Gerry,
What model windlass are you using. How is that layout working. Is that clasp connect directly to the anchor or to chain?

Pete
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Regarding 1 or 2 bow cleats---I think on some of the factory price lists there is an option to add a second bow cleat.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks for all the detail gerry.

I am going to dump the pulpit, put the chock on, remove all the old hardware and position the cleats in a way that will allow the addition of the windlass for the future.
In Memory Walter K

Peter- Without the pulpit, you'd have to go up on the bow to pick up and control the anchor. No fun in rocking conditions and/or with just you to do it with your family on board. With the pulpit the windlass will lock it up up there. Once that anchor comes out of the water, the length of the pulpit will keep the swinging anchor from clobbering the bow of your hull until it's locked in place. If you plan on regular anchoring, you might want to reconsider removing it. I anchor with the ball and ring system from the cockpit, but I do need someone in the cockpit who knows what he's doing.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Walter, if my current pulpit served any useful function I'd consider keeping it. as you can see in the photo it serves no useful function, it actually gets in the way. Beyond that the welds on the rail have cracked in 3 spots.

Planning on just going back to the original layout, just about anything is better then the current pulpit. I've been using the Anchor ball system this season but with the pulpit in the way you can only retrieve from the side of the pulpit you drop the anchor from. Not based on wind, current or boats in the anchorage.

I have a bow chock enroute, move cleats and fill the holes left behind.

Not sure if the picture shows proper scale. Rail is waist high, the length of the wood is at least 6 feet long.
In Memory Walter K

I thought your pulpit was set up to have the anchor come up on it. Didn't realize it was the way it is. That being said, you might find someone may want to buy it from you as it looks nicely made.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter the forward tip of the cleat is 12" from the bow . the picture is deceiving due to the angle . at home dock with pre-made lines no big deal two loops can go on one cleat . when away adjusting ropes for tides become annoying with two lines on one cleat. i never let the women or children touch the dock or boat when backing into slip.one of the guys places the loop end on the mid ship cleat on both sides before we dock. then as i pull in they make a circle around pole with bitter end toward bow. i put strain on boat to keep stern 4 to 6" away from dock and these are my spring lines after tying off at pole the bitter end is put on the front cleats and adjusted to center boat in slip. you need two cleats both too accept excess line and to make adjustments without the need to untie both lines.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473