Hello from the Abaco's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Hello from the Abaco's

Post by conchy joe »

Just wanted to drop everyone a note, we are cruising the Abaco's in our 28 FBC. We have slowed trolled on one motor from Boynton Beach, to West End, spending four nights anchored out.

We arrived today at Green Turtle Cay and are staying at the Leeward Yatch Club.

The weather and seas have been spectacular.

Most importantly, the boats run great and the genset we installed last month has performed flawlessly.

We will continue south to the Berry Islands then over to Bimini before heading home.

Any information on places to visit would be appreciated.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Conchy Joe,
Sorry I missed you. I was just out there but now back in FL. Going back July 1st, if you are still around Hope Town give us a shout, usually we monitor CH 65, The Duchess. There are some good anchorages around Elbow Cay and Seaspray Marina has slips, my boat is there now. Get yourself the Cruisers Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge, it's invaluable, http://www.wspress.com. You can check Tilloo Cut passage on this link, it's a web cam that shoots a still shot every 5 minutes, mounted under my corner soffit. http://www.tilloocut.com Fishing outside the cut is fabulous.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I will check that out thanks. We will likely be in Bimini on the first. I assume you will be back here for the Stranded Naked Partry.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
Tom

Post by Tom »

floridaskater wrote:Conchy Joe,
Sorry I missed you. I was just out there but now back in FL. Going back July 1st, if you are still around Hope Town give us a shout, usually we monitor CH 65, The Duchess. There are some good anchorages around Elbow Cay and Seaspray Marina has slips, my boat is there now. Get yourself the Cruisers Guide to Abaco by Steve Dodge, it's invaluable, http://www.wspress.com. You can check Tilloo Cut passage on this link, it's a web cam that shoots a still shot every 5 minutes, mounted under my corner soffit. http://www.tilloocut.com Fishing outside the cut is fabulous.
Floridaskater, what a beautiful view. I fished out of Tilloo last spring and those houses on the north side of the cut always were intriguing. What's the story with the guy on his own little island on the south and inside of the cut? Seems he had 500 Alabama flags flying. Met him at the Seaspray bar and couldn't get his story out of him. Beautiful place, the wife and I are looking at coming back in July. How's the fishing then?
Viva la Presidente!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sounds like a fun trip. You are covering some serious ground. Bimini is about 120nm from Marathon. That is the only place I have been on my boat. I am aiming for a July 15th crossing. With the price of fuel I do not think I can go much past Bimini. I recently heard many marinas did not even have fuel over there. Is that true? If not how much is diesel selling for?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tom, that little island is very intiguing, I don't know his story, and yeah I have seen the flags too. Right now people are catching blackfin tuna, and marlin.
Kevin, I paid over 6 bucks a gallon for Gas. I'm not sure what diesel is but it's probably right there with it.
We ran into a large quantity of dolphin "schoolies" on our way over this year.

The boat did well and has finished off nice. I'd like to put together a complete write up with pics on the purchase/restoration project soon, but here's a sample of how The Duchess looks now in her new port in the Bahamas. BTW, the date stamp on the camera is incorrect. This was last week.

Steve Marinak
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Niiiice !
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Awesome Steve,

Your son looks content!

Tommy
Tom

Post by Tom »

That picture rivals some of Hueso's! Beautiful. I tell you what, I'll be willing to run her in my spare time when you aren't there. You know, to keep her joints lubed and such. I'll even cover fuel that she requires....Hmmmm???

Living the dream.-T
Viva la Presidente!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Sorry Tom, Bruce gets first dibs on that job. ;)
But we should arrange a 31 Rendezvous next year....say around the time of the Bertram/Hatteras Shootout. It's an invite only event, but there was very low attendance this year, I bet they would let us give the big boys a run for their money next year.
Steve Marinak
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Spectacular photo! True classic 31.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

floridaskater wrote: But we should arrange a 31 Rendezvous next year....say around the time of the Bertram/Hatteras Shootout. It's an invite only event, but there was very low attendance this year, I bet they would let us give the big boys a run for their money next year.
Now that would be cool. Bertram Hatteras shootout with about a combination of 31 & 28's taking on the big guys.

Bet they would not go for it. They would be afraid that someone like Brewster or JP would walk away with the top honors. Or worse yet all 31's and 28's fill the top slots.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Maybe not a slew of small boats...but I be we could get one in there and we pick a top notch crew.

This just in from Abaco. New record Blue Marlin 1119 pounds for Bahamas.
Story here. Bertram is still involved.
http://www.bahamasbillfish.com/
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I've seen them about this size hitting dolphin offshore, it looks like someone tossed a depth charge in the water, or a small boat flipped at high speed. The splash was as tall as my flybridge.
Steve Marinak
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

We are currently in Hope Town, but have not done any real fishing. We saw the guys in the Bill Fish Tournament two days ago in Treasure Cay. Some really beautiful boats.

Gas was the cheapest at $5.7xxxx at Green Turtle Marina most other places its close to $6.25 with diesel 25 to 50 cents cheaper. Most places seem to have fuel.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Hope Town is incredible, hands down the nicest destination!!!!!!
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Conchy Joe, if you see these two boats running around say hello, that's my wife and kids. (My Ray Hunt tribute collection) Phones have been out for 3 days out there, no internet contact either. Wondering how you logged on actually.

1965 16' Boston Whaler, "Tilloo Canoe" CH 65.

1969 13' Boston Whaler, "Mighty Sparrow" CH 65

Steve Marinak
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

The Double Dog that caught the big Blue Marlin; was it a 66' Hines Farley by any chance?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Yeah Tommy that's them. They won the BBC back in 2009 too.

....so how could we boat a fish that big on a 31? ;)
Steve Marinak
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Years ago they brought a Blue over 800 caught in the hudson, onto a 31. They used a comealong. Ran a line up through the cabin to the front cleat and had at it.

Dragged it over the transom.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marlin

Abacos

Post by Marlin »

Pretty water, on nice whaler, what an armada u have collected, I'm jealous , miss those waters and fishing there, wahoo season starts in the fall
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Marlin, your fleet aint so shabby either! It would be nice if you could bring the Wahoo (or the Rybo) out there in the future. Jurassic Park is calling you...and they call it that for a reason, there are some monsters out in that deep bowl. If that guitar needs to be played that came with the Rybovich you know who to call. Stay in touch.
Steve Marinak
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Steve,Seachele's enroute in the morning to Grand, next day Guana, then Marsh harbor-unless I get too rummy. plan on a couple weeks in the area.wmachovina@yahoo.com, Bill
Bill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill, sounds good, I'd like to see Seachele. I'll ping you with my contact info. I'm heading over Friday afternoon via airplane thru to Wed.
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

went fishing offshore today, anchor didn't stick, trying a different anchor tomorrow, came inside the cut, no luck there, dove in and speared some snapper last resort.
Got caught on the webcam inside the cut, I thought the picture looked nice with a Bertram 31 in there, sort of like the old ads..."Bertram Country"
Have a happy fourth everyone.
Steve Marinak
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

the Bertram Hatteras shootout is pretty easy to get invited to. Just send in a letter expressing an interest and they send you an invitation. Now keep in mind you're getting "invited" to a $5,000 entry fee tournament... too rich for my blood these days
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

jib Room happy hour Tuesday anyone????
Bill