coosa board cockpit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

coosa board cockpit

Post by Bertramp »

I really want to redo my cockpit and have considered the coosa concept. To start.....I aint a carpenter. Does anyone have pictures of the finished product of a coosa cockpit.
I'm figuring materials on a coosa to be approx $1500 and a premade fiberglass to be approx $3500, but is the look of the premade finished product vs my labor worth the difference?
If I see some good looking coosas, it might be worth my attempt.
Anybody got some pics ?

thanks
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Which parts of your cockpit?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
John F.

Post by John F. »

When I went through this awhile ago, I decided to go with an aftermarket deck. It just didn't seem worth it based upon how much time, effort, and $$ it would've cost to do my own. Lucky for me, I wound up buying a used aftermarket deck from one of the Faithful for a substantial discount over new.

The disadvantage to aftermarket is that your stuck with the original B31 configuration with hatches and side panels. I really like what some of the Faithful here have done with custom decks and fishboxes, and the elimination of side panels and running the deck all the up to the side of the hull. Just a thought.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I have a bahia and was looking at going the standard 3 part cockpit and using my existing as pretty much a template.
You were lucky, if I found an aftermarket at a discount, I would pounce !
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

When I decided to replace my cockpit deck I considered building from scratch...then after adding it all up I was pretty sure I was buying a new deck. Materials and time almost justified the expense... then with the help of a fellow board member I located an old deck being removed during a refurbish. While not new it was still in good shape and I jumped on it.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

When I did Seachele the decision was to fab my own or buy. I bought one of Alex Whittikers decks from Socal.I got his "charter boat decks" without the fancy inserts and so on. I did get the lift out fishbones. Very strong needed some fitting, but I am quite satisfied. I think he hatch layout is better than the original-pullout the fishboxes and you have access to rudder posts,stuffing boxes and for the Bahamas cruise in july, 120 gal. Water bladder. All in all a good choice. Some customization is required. Bill
Bill
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

There was no prefab deck available for what we wanted to do. Granted our deck and pit layout is not coosa board the fact is if your gonna get a little crazy with your layout there is going to be some custom fabrication in your future.
If you "ain't no carpenter" then your choices become limited to production inserts, your ability to customize your layout becomes limited as well.

Most of the work is in supporting the deck not the deck itself.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

An alternative for the side panels are the fiberglass skinned insulation panels that are used in walk-in coolers. My cockpit side panels are made of it and have lasted some 20 years with virtually no problems - have been painted at least twice and hold the paint well. Very inexpensive compared to most other stuff and ocme in lengths that are plenty long enough.

I have one of the early GlassTech decks - installed in the early 90s - that is balsa cored but the skins are super heavy, except for the underside skins on the hatches, which rubbed through due to vibration abrasion. With the able guidance of Capt. Patrick I dug out the rotten balsa core and replaced with a filler made of epoxy and vermiculite, then finished with a paste of epoxy & microbaloons....painted and gsketed with some super duper neoprene from Terry Frank and I have better than new hatches. Have had no problems with the deck core itself rotting, just the hatches.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

If you are looking for a deck, get in touch with Bob Lico. If I recall correctly, he was thinking of selling his.

Dug
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Too bad Cabrera is out of business. His decks (and all replacement parts) fit well, were beautifully designed and fabricated magnificently. In his decks he eliminated the fore and aft hatches and replaced with two large hatches starboard and port which gave great access and had removable built-in fish boxes. Just realized I don't have pictures but if you're interested I'll shoot some and post.

Vic,
fiberglass skinned insulation panels
Could you give us a bit more info? The side panels are my next project. Thanks
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Mikey - this place has some that looks like what I have - the yellow insulation with the white skin. www.jandlinsulation.com

My panels have some plywood glued to the back in spots to hold screws that fasten gaff racks, etc to the side panels.

UV
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Cabrera is still in business:

cabrerayachts.com

1965/2007 Bertram 31
spencer

Post by spencer »

I just placed a order with Cabrerra this past week. He is making the deck, in deck fishboxes, engine boxes, custom fiberglass for the flybridge (copy of Zero Cavity , Thanks Doc,) and inbetween the engine area where the steps are,

In the past months he also has already made the deck support kit for the deck and the vberth replacment area.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

You're welcome Spencer !
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for all. Didn't know Cabrera is still at it. Great!
Insulation board looks interesting, have to check supplier here.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

spencer wrote:I just placed a order with Cabrerra this past week. He is making the deck, in deck fishboxes, engine boxes, custom fiberglass for the flybridge (copy of Zero Cavity , Thanks Doc,) and inbetween the engine area where the steps are,

In the past months he also has already made the deck support kit for the deck and the vberth replacment area.

What pieces are you having made for the flybridge?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
spencer

Post by spencer »

Peter

look at Zero Cavity pics a couple of pics up, you will see the somewhat looking stock panel with doors, however cabrerra customized it with a drop out center and a little more contoured

Also using Capt Patrick's console
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Steve,

You might try contacting Rodger Vice about the deck. I think he may have Ray Cabrera's Bihia Mar deck molds.

See his post from 2008: http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... 78538c5756
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Thanks Patrick
and WOW what a job !!
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly