Project list

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,

I don't know if we'll get up that way or not this year, it would be a last minute thing if we could. The group always has that get together during my tournament season down here. I hate to spend money if I can make money.

If we do go you are welcome to jump on board and feel away, might take you an hour or more, there's lots of teak. And as I understand that whole event is about Step 8 so maybe it'll take 2 hours.

Off to sand tape and paint some more, pics to follow.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

went to the rybo today to see the real deal for those of you interested;

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Well the project continues haven't been popping on so much with work being busy and the boat consuming any extra time, so anyway here it goes - step 8 has reared itself at the end of a few very succesful applications. We added a bit more work but it was well worth it.

We ended up building our own tent booth with a small air inlet and a house blower for an exhaust fan- about a 3 hour project with 2 guys:

Then I had a chance to shoot awlgrip (always been a brush man- thats how the hull was done originally) for the first time on a real project, clear coating the transom.

With my new found confidence we went with 2 guns for the flybridge one inside and one outside, with good results:

After that it was down to the pit where my partner decided to see if I could get lucky one more time, he spotted for me so we could find the light spots- it was hard with all the angles but it came out great:

GOD the finish pictures make it look so easy, maybe I should post the ugly duckling/mottled dog shots of all the work fairing and sanding, either way we finished the toe rail late Friday and expect to have the brow done and the non skid taped over the long weekend. Then its shoot the skid deck and on to the bottom and into the water.......

............. getting closer now
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

J.P.
It all looks looks fantastic ..

So you sprayed clear to bury the gold leaf on the transom ?
It looks very clear like it didn't add any tint at all to the base color...Is that a non yellowing clear ??

And not one run!! You should be thrilled with the results for your first time with a gun in your hands..

Ray
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JP

Looks great. Using a gun is a an art form. You need to have a talent for it. Looks like you have it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

JP

That looks absolutely beautiful and seems like a ton of work. Are your air intakes similar to Bobs? Seems to be some intricate work.

How is the interior coming along I don't think I've ever seen any pictures is it still a work in progress?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Ray,

We just used a clear Awl Grip. It doesn't have much UV protection in it but doesn't yellow to speak of.

Since Awl Grip is so difficult to repair the clear allows us to do a couple things.

After years of diesel soot the ice blue would of eventually needed to be repainted. The name is quite expensive and with a clear coat on the transom we can wet sand down through the clear back to the ice blue and repair any bill rash and gaff marks in the hull, touch up with spray or a brush then final sand and recoat with clear. The result is a new looking transom without having to purchase any new lettering.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Peter,

I think Bobs boat and ours were coming together around the same time, both of us planned on using the pit to pull air from for the engines, any similarities would be only by chance. We didn't know how we were going to finish the louvers until they were done. We did know that the stbd side needed a tube for gaff storage.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

JP, Mind if I borrow your louver idea? The gaffs stay put or do you strap them in somehow? Nice work with the spray gun a buddy riding shotgun helps find the thin spots..What color white Awlgrip did you use? Awlcraft? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The color is offwhite revisited (straight old awlgrip), only available in quarts for some reason, but works well for us as we are averaging just under 2 qts total paint volume for each section, except the toe rail that was like 1.2 pints. Everythings been 3 coats.

Hey use whatever ideas you like. My partner built the louvers- they were a kinda bitchy but worth it.

The best thing for the gaff tube is a swimmy noodle cut like a wedge, they stay put pretty good. I'm looking for a hard foam or thick cork like product to glue to the outboard side so the gaff points have something to stick into beside the paint.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That looks great. When I saw the air intakes I thought of Bob. Some day I will do air intakes like that. I might start with lowering my filters! Great job and keep the pictures coming. It is always amazing to see these old boats looking so much better than anything off the production line.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

JP, I know that you must have weeks and many hours of prep. She looks AWSOME.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

JP, one fantastic job,outstanding. You must be very proud..keep the pictures coming....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Honestly JP, I don't get it. You must be a glutton for punishment. Chimera was one of the best looking 31Bs in the world BEFORE you guys added these projects to the list.
Now you've taken her over the top. She really is fantastic, and you guys have earned all the praise she brings your way.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Thanks for all the compliments.

At the end of the day this boat still has to catch fish and take the family out. There's gonna be plenty of crab parts and clam bellies on her this spring, then all the bass blood ballyhoo scales and whatnot from offshore, mud from clamming down bay in her then a whole fall of nonsense blood and scales- she's our little 31 foot pickup truck. She does everything we ask and in return we take good care of her.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Well today marks the final day of painting awlgrip. We shot the final coat of nonskid on the bridge and foredeck through the hvlp. If it dries as nice as we left it we hit a home run. I'll grab some pics after we pull tape and take the tent down.

Ran into a problem pulling the cutlass bearings, they wouldn't budge with 9 tons on em. So off came the struts and onto the 30 ton press. After lots of pressure and lots of heat one came loose, the other had to be cut out. Not sure what was up but we greased the new flatfish and they slid in fine and the set screws were tightened down. Weird.... Good news was we didn't damage the shims pulling the struts out so everything should go back together pretty easy. If you ever have to break free 5200 heat is your best friend.

Now its time to barrier coat, bottom paint and put the old girl back together. I really need to go fishing.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

ITS DONE!!!!!!

Post by JP Dalik »

Finished skid deck put her back together, dropped in the Simrad and in the water. Picked up 2 knots with the clean bottom.

Interior is back together

The fleet was in at Neils

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Outstanding,JP, she looks absolutely beautiful, now fish her....best of luck....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
John F.

Post by John F. »

She looks great. Nice last pic. too.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

That was an impressive amount of high quality work in what, 60 days..???

Nice little driveway you and Neil got there....!!! Is the Express Neils too?

Ray
Dug

Post by Dug »

JP, what is the stainless door below the counter next to the sink in the cabin?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

JP: Looks great! What size tip and cap did you use for the non skid? Also what product and size grit?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Dug,
That's the fridge it'll carry 18 cans and some subs. Nice for day tripping with no coolers. Mermaid builds it this is its third season with no issues
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Rawleigh,

I used the same hvlp set up we shot the awlgrip with, just opened the throttle all the way kept the gun far away from the work and did laps till it covered. We mixed the awlgrip with fine and course griptex 2 parts fine to 1 part course. It feels good even in bare feet.

I'll shoot non skid all day long, its pretty satisfying stuff.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JP

Looks great. Like she just came out of the showroom.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mikepelham

Model

Post by mikepelham »

What model mermaid do you have?
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

GREAT job JP ! Really like your B31.
1965/2007 Bertram 31