Florida keys vacation, never been

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Florida keys vacation, never been

Post by Tom »

Taking the family to Disney for a few days in mid March then want to go to either the Captiva/Sanibel area or somewhere in the keys for 5 days. Buddy will fly us from Tampa to near our location so transport isn't a problem.

Having never been to the keys, I'm looking for suggestions that will fit our bill. Got a wife that needs a pool or beach with umbrella drinks, no spring break kids if possible, and I'd like to get a guide for a couple of three days inshore or offshore, doesn't really matter. A nice resort area is what I'm thinking. I know the beach thing is a problem.

My daughter is five and gets along most anywhere and loves to fish but she's five, and a girl, and will have just left Disney so nothing will be great to her. Thinking Key West might be a little wild and too gay for a family trip.

Thoughts?
Viva la Presidente!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Go to Marathon and stay at the Faro Blanko Resort. No beach there but nice pool and resort. They can get you a guide for fishing.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I've been to Marathon a couple of times to visit a friend that rents down there. Just about my favorite place ever, but I don't know enough for recommendations. I pm'd you though about a guide (NOT to use).
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Not many beaches, one is at Key West and it was trucked in. Sanibel is closer with plenty shells. I pulled my little Whaler there and had a blast.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will second mike`s choice . i was there a few years back and there is a relaxing tiki bar down at the beach. nice adult family crowd and 5 minutes away from a small town dedicated to fishing. small fleet will take you out to sailfish down to small reef fish. i think it was called tom & mary or something like that. charter was resonable.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Cheeca has always done right by me.
Ripsangler

Post by Ripsangler »

Ditto on Faro Blanco. The sunset is incredible as well as the Coronas.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks keep them coming. Looks like Faro Blanco is no more. Hawk's Cay is booked up. Cheeca Lodge looks right, wondering about having a 5 yr old tagging along though.
Viva la Presidente!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tom wrote:Thanks keep them coming. Looks like Faro Blanco is no more. Hawk's Cay is booked up. Cheeca Lodge looks right, wondering about having a 5 yr old tagging along though.
I never had a problem there with kids. They have a separate adults only pool. They have a kids club, family snorkeling, and other stuff as well.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Faro Blanco shut down in 2005 Hurricane Wilma. I have heard good things about Chica Lodge but never been there myself. Hawks Cay is nice but a bit pricey in my opinion. There are great charters in just about any location in the keys. Pennecamp state park is neat....but no beach. Sombrero Beach is a nice beach in Marathon and Bahia Honda State Park is nice with a great beach. That is just south of Marathon, 10 minutes or so. I know several local charters in Marathon area and they are all serious about what they do.....catching fish. There is a brand new Holiday Inn express in Marathon but you would have to check on pricing. It looks very nice from the outside and there is a gigantic tiki bar and pool by the water out back. All brand new! It was a long time coming for something new around here. If you need recomendations on fishing I will get them to you.....Marathon area. Water is still a bit chilly but I have been wanting to check all my piles since there are far less people free diving this time of year. I would think there is more to kill. Depending on work and your time frame in the area I am always willing to take the faithful out for a day on the water.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Lived in Islamorada for 25--Checcas nice, many small mom and pops ther. We take the 31 to Founders park(old plantation yacht harbor)nice facility bayside, has a small beach great for little kids,many guides inshore or offshore within ten miles
Bill
Buju

Post by Buju »

Cheeca's nice... was just there with my wife for the Bouganvilla Ball.
It's a bit uppity for my taste.
I think I'd stay at the Islander instead- I like the grounds better, more open, great pool, nice rock encased beach. It's about a mile north of Cheeca.
http://www.islanderfloridakeys.com/

For fishing, Bob was talking about Bud & Mary's. they're on the southern tip of Upper Matecumbe, and have some of the best offshore and flats guys around.
http://www.budnmarys.com/
Anything in particular you're hoping to tangle with Tom?

Key Largo has a few good resorts too. Key Largo Grande (where they just had the catch shares meeting) and the Key Largo Marriot.
There are some really cool, smaller, more quaint places down grassy key way. Like White Sands and Rainbow Bend. RB gives you the use of a 13 or 15 whaler with the room fee, thats nice... freedom is nice.
Gimmie a shout if I can help you nail anything down Tom
Mark @ 305-619-0956
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I may give that Islander a go next trip
keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

I will second both Cheeca and Islander. Cool thing about Islander is they have these little duplex type units right on the beach, some with kitchens, screened porch, great Tiki bar. Both places are family friendly, Cheeca being more upscale.

You will have to fly into Miami or Marathon, those are the closest airports. You'll have to rent a car anyway so take a day trip to Key West (2 hrs) one day.

Steve Moyer formerly of Plantation Key and Key West
coolair

Post by coolair »

so Tom....
my wife has been talking bout similar trip but just the disney part for kids mine are younger though 3 and 4

we could leave them at disney and you and i disapear to the keys for some fishin.. what ya say??
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks to all for some great insight. I'm making a decision this weekend. Disney is as expensive as the Cheeca Lodge. Whole deal is more expensive than a trip to Tropic Star.

Matt, my wife hates Disney, she'd rip off my ballsack if I left her there alone with our kiddo. You need to do Disney while they are young. We went when my daughter was 2.5 and she had a ball. My favorite princess was Ariel. I still have dreams on how she fit her boobs in those coconuts.
Viva la Presidente!
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thanks Tom
I was thinking they are too young, Hell i didnt go see disney till i was 18!!
My wife would probably do the same.. women!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

The Dutch guy says Cheeca Lodge . Had a great time there , can play golf on the smallest cours I ever saw ,but the most important is that there is a marina next to it , go fishing with....The Motherload.... he is an ex commercial fisherman, he knows best !!

Have fun !
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

coolair wrote:Hell i didnt go see disney till i was 18!!
I was 18 too.

Of course, one pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
coolair

Post by coolair »

Wait they have a pill to make you bigger now??
:)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Buju

Post by Buju »

My favorite princess was Ariel. I still have dreams on how she fit her boobs in those coconuts.
Allright Tom, if'n you're gonna stare at 'em at least get the details right.
Ariel puts her "twin girls" in nicely cupped large scallop shells. Obviously the butter used to eat said scallops helps with the fit.

Gert - the Motherload (a Gulfstream 31?) you mention fishes out of Whale Harbor Marina, about two miles up the road from Cheeca... Unless he changed slips.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.