New Member / New Boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

New Member / New Boat

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey guys...

Been stalking the site for some time now. Finally pulled the trigger on the 31FBC that fit my budget! It's a 1969 with 1985 454s the port motor was just rebuilt and has not yet been broken in. Tons of info and pics to share.

By reading all the posts I have already learned a little about you guys so let me share some info about me.

I'm 37 years old, married with a 15 month old son and live in Babylon NY. Grew up in Sayville, NY. My parents owned boats since I was a child, I've been an avid fisherman for as long as I can remember and have had various boats since I was in college. I've spent the past 5 years sight fishing for striped bass on my flats boat mostly around Fire Island Inlet but have fished most parts of Long Island. Here is that boat that I do not plan on selling, it's not common in my area.

http://shengraph.tripod.com/intruder/about.htm

I've also done my fair share of surf casting, bait fishing and offshore fishing for shark and tuna. The new B31 will serve as both a family cruiser for my wife and son along with a deep water fly fishing boat. I've caught sharks, tuna, Mahi etc. and plan to continue those adventures on this new boat.

Lot's of work to be done on the boat, immediately and in the future. I'll share some pics of the boat and a list of "to dos" in subsequent posts. I am very lucky that my friend and neighbor is a thorough marine surveyor and asisted me in finding the right boat. Having some repairs done prior to purchase and helping me create a must do/needs updating list.

All the best,

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here are some pics. I actually won't own the boat until tomorrow morning...

More later[/img]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Historically I do know that this boat spent many years as a charter boat in Montauk before it was sold maybe 5 years ago. That owner performed many updates including a new teak deck, barrier coated and painted the hull. And did a decent job at updating the interior which is not yet complete. The headliner was redone, much of the teak (fake veneer) has been redone, a new marine head and holding tank. New bidge pumps and macerators.

The person doing the restoration sold the boat sometime in the past year to the current owner who has since had the port motor rebuilt, new fuel tank, fuel lines etc done as well as putting in a Nu teak sole in the cabin. The starboard motor is running well with good comression but will certainly be an issue in coming years.

That's enough for now...
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Pete- Welcome aboard! I have had my boat Bluebeard in Montauk since the 70's and have stayed at Star Island, Montauk Marine Basin and Montauk Sportsman's Dock. Do you know the name of it when it was a Charter Boat? I ask because I was/still am very sensitive to other B-31's in my area and might know more about your boat. My hull is the same color. Walter
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here is a portion of my to do list -

Electrical -

Most of the wiring is updated but both the AC and DC panels are old home style single pole breakers. Some really old fuse panels in the enigine box and the postive battery connections are all exposed.

Engines -

At sea trial both motors got up to 5000rpms and we hit 29.4knots. The gasket on the starboard manifold was leaking and was replaced right after the survey. The starboard propeller is dull and needs to be reconditioned or replaced. And the cutlass bearings need to be placed. There was minimal vibration and the shafts will probably need to be brought back to true.

The fixted engine compartment extinguishers are old rusted and not tagged, they are Halon and will be replaced immediately.

Other -

Welds cracked on two bow rail stations need to be rewelded.

Some trim work on the headliner is incomplete.

The dinette is old and tired.

Fresh water tank needs a good cleaning before it can be used.

The salt water intakes for engine cooling are poorly done and need to be updated.

Of course the big one is that the starboard motor will need to be rebuilt in the near future it's got 2264 hours.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Welcome, Peter. Like to hear more about your site fishing for stripers.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Walter. The boat is documented as "East Wind" the name I will continue to keep on her as it may have some history.

A google search brought up no information for me on a charter boat of that name in Montauk.

This is from accounts of the seller. I would think that the current bow pulpit which was supposedly installed by the owner in Montauk (had a friend or relative who was a welder) would be the dead give away of this boat.

I'm guessing they hadn't digested the popcorn from seeing jaws before the plans on the pulpit were finalized.

The pulpit will make for a nice fly fishing platform to run and gun for blue fin in the spring I hope!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mikey,

You can see I posted a link to the guy who built my boat. It draws 6" of water and has a tunnel and jack plate I can run that boat in ankle deep water. I spent two years as president of Eatern Fly rodders (meets in Riverhead NY) I learned everything I know about sight fishing for bass from my friends in that club.

I prefer to set up on a sand flat up wind and dead drift. No pole no trolling motor, I do have a sighting platform above the console. That fishing is good from early spring until a few weeks after forth of July. After that point I ussually trailer to Moriches or Shinnecock which has cooler ocean water hitting the flats.

The game is figure out on what flat and what portion of the tide the fish will be there. Find the right approach, the right fly and some high son and clear water that allows you to see the fish before they see you.

It's scored: 1. Fish that you saw 2. Fish that you cast too 3. Fish that follow the fly 4. Fish you hook up and 5. Fish you land

I have some decent pics to share in the future. This year I landed a dozen fish over 30" in less then two feet of water. That was outstanding.

Here is a bass that is hooked

And here is one I landed in June
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nice deck, Welcome to the sand box as UV says.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Andre.

I will admit that deck really pushed this one over the top for me. It visually takes an already beautiful boat and makes it special.

The down side is it may have allowed me to be less subjective on other mechanical issues.
PeterPalmieri

Some more pictures

Post by PeterPalmieri »

In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Welcome Pete, good to have you. Cleaning the water tank is pretty simple: stick a garden houe to the bottom of the tank thru the fill on top and let it run for a while, flushing out the old water....then pump it down a little way and put a good shot of clorox in and let it sit for a few days, then repeat the garden hose flush a few times. Just let it overflow into the bilge, cleans the bilge as you go.

UV
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks UV. There is some nasty stuff in there I will try to get out first. Would prefer it doesn't end up in the bildge.

I should mention I'm not all that comfortable with engine work (i.e. I don't do it), I am up for cleaning, electrical work and some interior upgrades.

The yard that rebuilt the motor seems like a reputable place and isn't all that far from my home port. I'll have to prioritize my budget. I will in the future branch off and start new threads with specific questions.

FWIW - I have a pretty good deal, I live in an incorporated village. Summer dockage is $40-50 for the width of the slip. Winter docking is $250 straight up and they have an ice breaking program in place. I will have the motors winterized in December but the boat will reamain in the water. I am planning on having a cockpit cover made to keep out snow and am planning on working on electrical over the winter and any headway on finishing the interior.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Pete-

Welcome from another 69 FBC w/454s owner. She looks great, and I like the pulpit--it sets her apart. 5000 rpms on 454s is pretty high. Check, but I think they're usually propped to get 4200-4400 rpms at WOT. Looks like you got a great deal. Enjoy.

John F.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

The rebuilt port motor hit 5000 RPMs and the starboard 4900 WOT, It was a glass calm day.

The starboard prop needs some work, I guess what your saying is I can probably use a new set of props that will work better with my boat.

I'll have to start reading up on that. Thanks...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As I told my customers for 30 years,

Ain't nothing time and money won't fix. After all its just a boat.

Enjoy......Nice Bass......
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Bruce...

I've got a lot to learn!

Thankfully the 4 hours I spent with the surveyor was a very good introduction to all the sytems on the boat.

Three months ago I couldn't have told you what a cutlass bearing was or why a FWC engine would have a salt water intake.

I'm very thankful to have a place like this where you guys can help me along.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete,

Welcome aboard and congratulations on owning two nice boats. Your Intruder was built down my way, Harkers Island where we hold the NC Rendezvous every year, and the photo is in front of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. I do 90% of my boating on Cape Lookout Shoals. Your new (to you) B-31 looks outstanding as well......have fun!

Tommy
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tommy,

When my Intruder was ready I drove down to test ride it and trailer it back to NY. I loved the area and cruised many of the marsh land ares.

Ever since I have talked about making a trip down there with the boat in tow to fish for Albies but I have not yet made it happen.

Glen Rose is a great guy and a heck of a boat builder, only makes 12-15 per year.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Let us know when you head down this way; there are a dozen or more of us B-31 guys in the neighborhood who would love to show you some southern hospitality.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Somebody get this man a bow chock.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well graduating from sayville high puts you one up on the intelligence level . now let take one step at a time on the boat seen . i could help you with every possible issue on that 31 bertram just contact me at oakdale yacth ask for bob lico i have my 3 loves dock together on the end of C dock ; 31 bertram fbc, 43 rybovich, 510 bertram.we have to talk about that " thing in front of the 31 bertram".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
welcome, iam right around the corner in freeport, best of luck with her.
charlie
1968 hull # 316 - 757
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Pete,

Congrats, looks like a nice ride!! Those 454's are some great motors and with a little tlc will serve you very well. I had them for 6yrs in my B35 and though the boat was under powered, the performed well.

br,
JohnD
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Bob, unfortunately I went to Connetquot HS, I grew up in that little sliver of a neighborhood that lived in Sayville but didn't go to Sayville schools.

That is some collection of boats you've got there. Do you work at Oakdale Yacht or are you just there all the time? Thanks for the offer.

I'm glad to know I've got some guys close by that know the ins and outs of these boats.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The massive pulpit :shock: Thus far I'm finding out some love it some don't but everyone has an opinion about it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Welcome and good luck with the new purchase. For 454's 29.5 knots on the top end seems low. I ran a pair of old Mercruiser 454's before my repower. Topped out at 4200 RPM. Cruise was 19 knots. I was spinning an 18 X 19 wheel.

Be carefull, Bob will have you cutting the pulpit off tomorrow. But all joking aside, Bob is a wealth of knowledge and does not do anything to his 31 that is not top notch. We can all learn from Bob.

Any questions just ask. Everyone here will help you out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i don`t own all those beauties . i own phoenix a 31fbc. i am the captain of the 510bertram and i work on that beauty ---"proud lady" a 43' rybo. hull # 27 . currently there is a 1979 sedan in the yard being built from ground up. stop by saturday and examine or i will put my 31 into the wind for you.i am retired and now a sub contractor and good friend of tom owner off oakdale yacth.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Welcome! Nice lookin boat... If thats the one I've seen listed on the Island you definitely got her for a song...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

My nephew hangs around OY a bit he is good friends with the owners son. Thanks for the offer I am running around this morning and I have to actually buy the boat today. I would love to see your fully redone B31...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Whaler that is the one..
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I am also at oakdale yacht... If youre in the area dont hesitate to stop by I'l be there doing some glasswork in this 60 degree weather were havin today..
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
marty

Post by marty »

hi peter

i saw your boat in bayshore this morning. we waved to each other in the canal on maple ave around 10:00 am. i have a 24 rampage. like your boat and the pulpit set up.

good luck
marty
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That was me just went and filled the gas tank. That was the previous owner on the boat with me. Just ran from Islip and back. First time docking the boat and all that jazz didn't kill anyone.

Did you do any fishing?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're new to docking a B-31, just pop it in and out of gear (whichever engine you need) and let it's momentum move it. Neutral is your best friend.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That really seems to be the way to do it Walter. It's a matter of it all being second nature to me....
marty

Post by marty »

trolled democrat point to lighthouse and back
nothing but still a banner day
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Peter,
Thanks for the tour through site fishing for stripers. Haven't done it yet. Have cast to them while they're schooled under a bunch of bunkers. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Did I really say that?
About to pull Dreamsicle for the winter. Sad. Took a cruise of the creek and Rappahannock yesterday. One of those perfect fall Bay days that make you glad to be a human owning the best boat ever built.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Took her out today with my nephew and Father. Just cruised down to the FI lighthouse, turned around and came home. The three of us on the bridge and of course we passed Marty on his way back. How did you do?

I've spent so much time on these local waters with my flats boat, which navigation is if you don't see dry sand your good. It was interesting to be so high up in the bridge and following the channel with the rest of the world.

I'm hoping to be able to get the boat back to my home port in Babylon in time to get all the men in the family for a morning fishing trip on Thanksgiving. At the moment she is still in the previous owners backyard. I should have my permanent registration this week, the village is very particular about having all the documentation.

It does feel great to own such an awesome boat. The past two days have been so beautiful, for the first time in my life I am hoping for a little snot to play in....

Pete
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter take a good look at that inlet . study that wave pattern just in front of the port and starboard bouys .those bouys are only 75' apart for a reason! that is 7' deep at that point , hard to believe you looking into the atlantic ocean . last week a 40' contender/triple 350hp try to breach that wall of water and went sidewards (breeched) boat took on 5" of water and foutunatlly he was on way in so he recovered and able to run all pumps before another wave hit . one of the captree boats was pick up by a wave and put aground (just 4' from starboard bouy on way in it goes to 3'). mid week there were 30 or so boat milling around at west bar .phoenix was the only boat out ,no big deal just have to prepare yourself and the boat. you need to have capt. patrick rudders to plant that stern before even thinking about making a attemp.----keep in touch!! limited out in 50' of water off sailors haven -----huge bass . inlet 12' wall outside in ocean 5' rollars
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks for the tip Bob. I am probably gonna do the new rudders, props and cutlass bearings in the spring.

I've ran the inlet at least 30 times this year in my flats boat, what a mess it is over there, demo has just about disappeared. I don't plan on running in the ocean unless it's dead calm. I was out in my buddies 23' regulator 4 times jigging and fly fishing the ocean this fall and did fairly well. We were planning on doing it tomorrow but the weather isn't looking so good.

As I said not sure I will leave the inlet until I am more comfortable running this boat unless it is perfect. Yes I am worried about all the shifting bars running out...
marty

Post by marty »

i only caught bluefish, fished near the lighthouse in 50ft. next time i will follow the phoenix more east
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

My buddy who's going out tomorrow says he's going all the way to Watch Hill, had some good reports out that way over the weekend.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I know I've come on like gang busters asking a million questions. I appreciate everyones kindness and help. What a great community....

Can you blame me I'm REALLY excited!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I know I've come on like gang busters asking a million questions. I appreciate everyones kindness and help. What a great community....

Can you blame me I'm REALLY excited!
Pete- I'd think there was something wrong with you if you weren't this excited. Your first big boat is a really big deal, it is a completely different feel from the outboards that we are used to. Suddenly those buoys mean something!

You are going to love that boat. where will she be in Babylon?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sunday the inlet layed down to 3' waves and rollars in the ocean . i went east to sailors haven with fares from suffolk sheriffs office all limited out on bass.the entire fleet pass by going to watch hill we playing catch and release by then. try to keep guys motivated so i broke out a two sand eel unbrella rig with wire rods. non stop bass in 43' of water going west from fire island pines.boat stays in water till dec. 15 last day of bass season. i may drop in feb. for cod.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete,

That is what this Board and community are all about, pitching in and helping each other. Ten years ago as a new 31-owner I was in the same 'boat' as you, and these guys kept me on the straight and narrow (meaning they kept me out of trouble). Their experience and knowledge are invaluable whether on small projects or large....and especially on repowers! I don't even own a 31 anymore, yet I jump on board everyday to learn from these guys. And as others have posted, there are no dumb questions. Enjoy the ride!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

jspiezio wrote: Pete- I'd think there was something wrong with you if you weren't this excited. Your first big boat is a really big deal, it is a completely different feel from the outboards that we are used to. Suddenly those buoys mean something!

You are going to love that boat. where will she be in Babylon?
Village slip, the winter is on shore road or argyle marina, the village has a program to keep those marinas from freezing over, I'll be on shore road. I'm hoping to get in the marina on Fire Island Ave. for the summer. But I'll take what is available.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

Can you expand on this:

"....you need to have capt. patrick rudders to plant that stern before even thinking about making a attempt"

I understand how they can be helpful in tracking on a single motor, what do you mean by planting the stern?

Thanks Pete
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Nice to see another Bertram in the neighborhood. I bet you didn't know a second family came with the purchase of the boat.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!