Morse MT-3 Controls - - - Need Technical Info

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

auguste

Morse MT-3 Controls - - - Need Technical Info

Post by auguste »

I need tech info on the Morse Mt-3 Twin (308602) engine controls which I want to install at the helm and in the cockpit

I picked this style because it fits with the boat's age (built in 1963) and I can control both engines with one hand

I called Morse twice and they said they would e-mail me the part numbers for the adapter plates I need . . . never received the info . . . has to be an e-mail issue or IPS problem

The engines are twin 3208 inboards 375 hp Cats

The transmissions are Twin Disk MG-507

Do you know what parts I will need and their part numbers?

Thanks in advance for your help

1963 38111 (38ft hull #11 of 13)
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

do you have the shifters ??
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Stay after Morse.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Auguste...

I recently bought a used Morse MT-3 shifter and needed some info on installation, plus the neutral safety switch was damaged in shipping so I needed to order a new one.

I eventually called Teleflex/Morse and learned that Morse was purchased by Teleflex, and the Morse identity will soon disappear, and only the name Teleflex will survive.

I called their Customer Service number and found a gentleman who was very helpful. He said he has not yet completed changing all the MT-3 sales and marketing literature to have only the Teleflex name, but he did fax to me a marked up working copy of the old Morse MT-3 installation brochure. He couldn't email it so all I have is the hard copy.

He also advised me that I should buy an installation kit from them (I believe it is around $45). I haven't received anything from them yet.

Go to this address to get strarted...

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/p ... oduct=1105

I suggest you try calling Teleflex Customer Service at 610-495-7011 and see if you can get to to someone who can answer your questions.

Feel free to send me an email if I can help.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Another good company down the drain. If they respond to your call with a human being, consider yourself lucky. If you leave a message, don't hold your breath till your call is returned. I had to write a letter to the Chairman of the Board before I got a call back. Unfortunately it was two weeks later. Walter
auguste

Post by auguste »

Bertramp wrote:do you have the shifters ??
No I do not have the shifters yet

I am not "married" to the MT-3s but I do want something very similar
IRGuy wrote:Auguste...

I recently bought a used Morse MT-3 shifter and needed some info on installation, plus the neutral safety switch was damaged in shipping so I needed to order a new one.

I suggest you try calling Teleflex Customer Service at 610-495-7011 and see if you can get to to someone who can answer your questions.

Feel free to send me an email if I can help.
I talked to Jim at Morse and he said I would receive an e-mail but it never arrived

What I need is part numbers so I can order what I need . . . they don't have the adaptor plates or anything on their web site

- - -

Appreciate any help I can get . . . thanks :)

IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Auguste...

I went through my notes a few minutes ago and have the following additional information for you in reference to the MT-3 controls...

I went to this site for information...

http://www.seamar.com/pdf/controls.pdf

Go to page 162 for some general info, and there is on page 166 an exploded view of the MT-3, and on page 167 there is a parts list keyed to exploded view.

I also spoke with Jim at Teleflex. As I recall it was difficult to reach him, but he did call me back after I left a msg.

I ordered the parts I needed from Jamestown Distributors.

I hope this helps you.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
auguste

Post by auguste »

IRGuy

Thank you

I will carefully go through the document and see if I can find the part numbers

Thanks again :)

auguste

Post by auguste »

Just got an e-mail from Jim Conway at Morse

This is the set-up I need but disregard the picture of the controls

keysdisease

Post by keysdisease »

This system in its day was the only way to get single lever controls for two stations. With hydraulic and electronic controls it is no longer cost effective and is far from being an efficient way to do single lever at dual stations.

When I worked in Distribution I sold a few of these units and they were always problematic. We're talking about a dozen control cables here plus the additional friction of the D-S gear unit, plus the station selector can only be at one station. I seriously doubt that parts will ever be available for these units when the wear out or fail.

Consider the trouble you are currently going through a warning and a blessing.

Steve
Joef

Kobelt

Post by Joef »

Cecile - have you looked at Kobelt engine controls? They appear well made - same principle as the morse/teleflex, but perhaps better service.

I live within 3 miles of Teleflex, in Limerick PA...i've heard their service leaves something to be desired...but if you think having someone show up at their facility, i'll be happy to drive over there at lunch one day. - just shoot me an email

Joe
auguste

Re: Kobelt

Post by auguste »

Joef wrote:Cecile - have you looked at Kobelt engine controls? They appear well made - same principle as the morse/teleflex, but perhaps better service.

I live within 3 miles of Teleflex, in Limerick PA...i've heard their service leaves something to be desired...but if you think having someone show up at their facility, i'll be happy to drive over there at lunch one day. - just shoot me an email

Joe
Hi

You are right. I have had two other people tell me that they are going to drop the Morse controls

I will be looking at other options such as Kolbelt