Our New England friends. . .

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Our New England friends. . .

Post by Rawleigh »

I am worried about you guys. Twice in a month. I hope and pray all goes well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

plenty wet up by me. many rivers over the bank. Ct and RI got it worse. Dug, you dry down your way?

Ric, Capy, how're you guys doing? Hope the river goes down by May so the slips can go in.

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
CMP

Post by CMP »

I live on top of a friggin hill and found a flooded basement last night. Not nearly as bad as so many others, but a pain in the ass nonetheless and completely unexpected...

CMP
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

8" in the crawl space here. No basement because of the water table. GOt way too close to the hot water and the furnace for comfort.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

We had over 7" of rain. I have a pump that puts out 80gpm which we had to use to pump water from one flooded catch basin to another.When I started at 2:00 the road was 24" underwater....by 7:30 pm I just broke the crown of the road....some brilliant town official thought dry wells would "suffice"....March total rainfall for my area is over 16"...on a good note my Bertram didnt float away...Interstate 95 in Rhode Island is closed..water flooded both north & south bound lanes.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
randall

Post by randall »

the original plumbers were nice enough to put the original well head in the basement so it really takes a lot to make it flood.

caren and i took a long walk and i saw deep standing water in places ive never seen any water before. thats over 30 years of looking.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Ironically my home that's a street back from the shore is fine .. no water at all

My shop on the other hand in downtown Peabody took it's second hit in 2 weeks and 6th time in ten years .. After the first one in 2001 all cabinetry was above floor and water mainly just flows through and never gets deeper than 3/4" but it makes a mess with the sawdust.
We loose time but not much for materials....It's more of a nuisance as I really can't have the guys turning on machines wired to 440 while standing in water.....That would make for a hell of a comp claim....

I guess we are lucky though, compared to the bank down the street that took 4 feet of water in the lobby and the people in the RI who got hammered this time..

Ray
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I got pictures from my Nephew in RI that are hard to believe. The fact that we are not hearing from many of the guys has me worried that they got hit badly.
Stuart Cooperrider

RI rain

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

I have a place in Providence and spent most of this past week there. Areas just southwest of the city were hit hardest. Cranston, Warwick, etc... 95 was indeed closed just west of Providence as were sections of 24 heading south towards Newport. The connector to the Providence Airport was also shut down for a while. Most basements are flooded. Raw sewerage is the big issue along with some bridge washouts that will take a while to repair. Amtrak service between Boston and NYC was shut down for a couple of days. Back up now. Unlike anything seen in this area for a long while. Sunny today with great (dry) weather projected for 5-6 days ahead.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Didn't mean to ignore the question, thanks for asking! I was knocked on my ass sick last week and am still not quite right. Am back to work first day since Tuesday, but may leave early...

On the rain front, I don't know how, but we stayed dry. Our flood prone plant didn't see any water and I could not be more grateful to the forces than kept it that way. I believe the pumping management crew is much different here int he City of Worcester during the week vs. the weekends...

No water in the house either, I was watching since that is where I was!

My road was pretty screwed up, but that is not a surprise. Old Mystic got slammed, and it is pretty messed up. A lot of water in basements everywhere as well. But Worcester got by pretty easily. Lucky...

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Glad to hear, as I was too afraid to ask.

It's good to know once in awhile you can catch a break.

Carl

Being sick in bed is not as much fun as it used to be...sitting in bed having Mom fetch you some hot chicken soup.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl,

I was fully convinced we would buy the farm and was bracing for the worst. I still don't know how it didn't happen. You are right however, once in a while you catch a break. It was true fortune. At this point I am just praying that it doesn't rain even remotely like that for at least a few weeks! The ground is pretty damned saturated! Everywhere!

And you are right, being at home sick is just plain completely not as fun as it used to be. I'm going home to bed in 11 minutes and can't wait, despite the lack of fun...
gplume

Post by gplume »

Checking in from RI, My finished basement flooded for the first time in the 18 years I have been at this house. The earth just could not absorb the water fast enough at the rate it was coming down. No big woop other than I had to throw lots of stuff out i should have thrown out a long time ago. Looks like I will need to replace my carpets. Spent a lot of time on the clean up that I should have been working on the boat.

Many more folks got it a lot worse than i did.....I was pretty fortunate.
Giff
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Same situation on the North Fork - pumping continues in many locations, but as soon as the pumps are turned off the water returns. There is no solution in sight until the water table goes down. In a nearby area our highway department had to create a temporary road between two private communities so that the residents of one could have access to the main road. We've had flooding before, but nothing that has lasted this long.

Dug: If you had that stomach thing I know just how you felt - I don't remember having been that violently ill ever before. Now, three days later, I'm still exhausted. I believe I can trace my contact to an ambulance call I did on Monday afternoon - it struck me Tuesday evening.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif, having been in that basement, that's amazing! You are on a hillside, and you have a walk out. Wow...

And White Bear, no stomach, just a fever and generally feeling like a bag of ass.

Still not right, though I did see this morning that my temp had risen from 97.5 to 98.1 today so I'm making progress. Very tired, still, and am looking forward to getting some sleep tomorrow. Though not in the morning, as I have to be in Boston by 6:30 am to referee BU vs. Northeastern on the Charles, and then back to Worcester to referee round robin racing on Quinsigamond. After that, hot tub maybe, and then bed for a couple hours. I'm just draggin' ass. And as those of you know who know me, I don't often have any other personality other than "on"! And there has been no gym for a week and a half! Yikes...