New Rub Rail

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mac Creech

New Rub Rail

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Do any of you have a source other than High Tide Marine and 31 Bertram . Com. Main thing is if I,m going to do it I,ll need one in a hurry. The other option is to paint the existing one. Has anyone used the stainless strip on the old one.
Mac
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mac
i painted mine for a few years, if you go that route make sure you use etching primer on the bare rail first, my orininal rail had the stainless strip on it, or someone added it on, when i re painted the hull i use alexs rub rail 31 bertram .com with stainless cap came out real nice.also if your going to put the stainless cap on the original rail use tef gel on all the screws.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Painted the old one after etching and priming then put stainless cap on with copious tefgel on the screws. 2 years and a few bubbles are showing. Couldn't ask for much more. Pvc on the list maybe next year :?
Bill
Capt. Mac Creech

Rub Rail

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Bit the bullet and ordered one from Alex Whitiker.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mac,

Alex is who I bought mine from in Cali. Then use the stainless to trim it in.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mac,

You will be happy with it. It is a great rail and goes on pretty easily.

Dug
Marlin

rubrail

Post by Marlin »

I bought one from Hi tide , 2 week delivery, bow pvc piece prebent, fairly easy install, had to build in a filler in the bow section(per capt Pat} to fill in the gap between the rail and the rubrail by lining the inside of the rail with clear shipping tape, packing the void with peanut butter epoxy/cavasil, pulled a plastic squegee over the seams to leave a radius filler, then followed capt Pat's smart sheet to install, 2 guys makes it a lot easier. Pleased with hi tide, quite responsive. All the old timers say it's a must to paint it, the uv will get it in a few years
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

the PVC will not require painting

the only way you might notice something is if 20 years down the road you damage one section and have to replace it then the new section will be a little whiter, but we repair 20+ year old boats and put a single new piece of rub rail and no one ever notices.

Dont paint the PVC rail, its a waste of time and money.
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

To you guys who painted your old rails; did you remove the stainless trim pieces first? Mine aren't ever coming off until I replace the thing because every time I try to back out a screw it breaks off. Only way I can see to paint the aluminum rail beneath the stainless is to tape off the stainless, which would be a monumental pain in the butt.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

John-when we painted Seachele's rub rail it had no stainless cap-a good thing because in 1973 they didn't have tefgel, coming down late march-buy you a greenie if you're around,Bill
Bill
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Hey Bill:

That would be great, give us a shout and let's get together.

JB