Flippin a little hull

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

Flippin a little hull

Post by Buju »

So today, the nostalgic sucker in me overrode the logical portion of my brain and I ended up saving a old classic Keys wooden flats skiff... well, she aint saved yet- but I've got great intentions.
Anyways, she was glassed over at some point and is still holding together surprisingly good. Except for a 2 to 3' raduis spot on the bottom where the boat impacted a turtle pretty good. The glass has delaminated and the ply needs replacement in that area. So, I obviously need to flip the hull to properly address the issue, will probably peel all the glass and repair then reglass the hull.
Question is, how do three or four guys flip a 17' hull in a non-industrial setting ? I'm sure there are some tricks, was thinking of bolting a block and tackle to a large tree, to lift up the bow, then muscle the boat into position...
Any ideas?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Buju
I think mini craft sells a boat flipper deal, along with all the car guys they use to flip bodies and frames.
I dont know how heavy it is, maybe 2 engine stands, your my dad bolted a 4x4 to the body of his model T and then used 2 pipe supports and rolled it over, they are like jack stands but have to wheels on top that spin
i dont konw if i would buy anything from eastwood, because of their prices. but its an idea
http://www.eastwood.com/resto-rotisseri ... inted.html
oh never mind on mini craft its like 15K
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Buju- that wouldn't be an old Willy Roberts skiff would it? By the way splashed Seachele yesterday w cummins power, coming to the keys in March, join us for a bubbly, Bill
Bill
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Buju-Wouldn't it be easier to flip it on it's side? I would guess two block and tackles working in tandem could get it almost vertical on one gunnel then slowly let down by 2-3 guys holding the other.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Put a rope from one gunnel under it and tie it to a tree or car. Attach another rope to the other gunnel run it across the top of the boat and tie it to the trailer hitch on your truck. Slowly come ahead on the truck while a couple of guys lift. Have another couple of guys ready to steady it when it is up on edge. Everybody help lower it to the ground or you can use another ropes to the tree from the upper gunnel to lower it with and a rope to the truck to anchor the lower gunnel. I think I made that clear as mud!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CMP

Post by CMP »

Hey Mark, how much does the boat weigh? I need to do the same to a hull that is 500 lbs fairly soon, so let me know how it goes. I've been hoping for a break in this wind/rain/cold pattern to give you a shout and get out on the water, but it looks like we're kinda screwed the rest of this week. Heading back to NH Sunday-will give you a yell next time...

CMP
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark,

I've seen it flipped on her sides as Walter said...

Stiffen between the gunnels with securely wedged in boards first then use old tires to prevent outsides of hull from being damaged...less height to overcome and tires cushion boat while on it's side for everyone to slowly reposition to opposite side for letting down...

Looked simple enough....but I wasn't the one doing the lifting...

Ray
Buju

Post by Buju »

Matt, thanks but I don't even have the luxury of level ground... pearock over petrified coral rock, my shop floor.

I think the answer lies somewhere between Walter and Rawleigh's descriptions...Walter, I didn't mean to flip her vertically, bow over stern. Was saying that once the bow was airborn enough, four guys could muscle the transom 180 degrees, then lower the bow back down.

Bill, yessir a early 70's 17' Willy Roberts... Cool construction, five solid mahogany stringers, solid teak gunnels from stem to stern. Hull, deck, etc all ply... glassed over. Never knew that Willy Roberts was actually an Albury... family came to KW from Spanish Wells around 1910. It sure explains the lines of the hull... looks exactly like an 17' Albury Bro's skiff.

Mark, not too sure on the weight. It's dry, but not exactly lightweight construction. Probably a tad over 600 empty and dry.

Ray, great advice as usual. Thanks.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark...I found these links for the video...

first one is like I described above .. second one is a bit much..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-vqinvx2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ArGcq8LpM

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Good find Ray...

The first one was comical as hell. Redneck ingenuity at it's best. Kinda' reminded of watchin' an old Laurel and Hardy flick and waiting for the punch line. But it worked. Notice that they never gave the engine hoist at the bow a second glance? True faith... Now why in the hell did he block up at second story height? Must be a roofer by trade.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I would definitely want more on the bow than that engine hoist!!! Maybe another overhead gantry like on the stern or build an oversize engine stand like rotisserie.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

You and me both, Bro...
Carl

Post by Carl »

All I kept thinking was, are these guys going to fit in that sailboat?
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Small world my friends! That link to the flip of the Mahogany Century and the boat show is in my home town in Central Wisconsin! That boat show goes on every year at an on water bar and grill by the name of Clearwater Harbor on a chain of lakes that I live near. I always wanted to slide into a slip in my Bertram just for the slack jaw effect that it would create. The only thing that is longer than 25 on those lakes are a couple of tour boats and a few deluxe pontoon boats. A flybridge? Unheard of................
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

Flybridge, Outriggers and a Ginpole would definetly get you some looks...not to mention the rumble of a pair of diesels.