Bow pulpit...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CMP

Bow pulpit...

Post by CMP »

I can't seem to find the thread someone put up here that detailed the building of a real nice bow pulpit into a 25 (I think)-might have been a 31, but no matter as the technique I want to use on the 25 would be pretty much the same. We use the anchor way too much down here not to have a good pulpit/windlass set-up. Thanks...

CMP
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark,

There is a 25 for sale in the NY / NJ area that had what I thought was decent design for a pulpit.. It was fabricated from Aluminum..interior support pic also..A bit overbuilt but done well.. I believe it was a black or dark blue hull...

If I can find the link I'll post it...

Ray
Last edited by tunawish on Feb 22nd, '10, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark here it is.....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... id=2048093

If this link doesn't work it's the first one up on a yachtworld search for the bert 25 ..
It's in brick NJ....

Ray
CMP

Post by CMP »

Thanks Ray, that's nice but a bit more involved than I want. I saw a real nice one here, just cannot find it...

CMP
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

mark....i've been daydreaming about one if for no other reason it would keep the bow of the boat between the pilings when i go out alone on windy days...which is almost always. my idea was to run two mahogany boards parallel to the outside of the hatch (like an extension of the sides so they taper) and out a ways past the bow. then fill it in like the swim platform. of course the boards would be scribed in so they followed the contours.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Randall, I was considering something similar but not so elaborate if I couldn't find the thread. Butler makes some real nice ones ready to go but I bet they are big bucks, so I was thinkin about pirating the concept and making it my own in either teak or glass. Mike, that old boat looks like my old Young Brothers stick boat, well not really, but the idea is the same...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

They made some damn nice boats.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mark-

I did this pulpit as one of my first B31 projects. It replaced a diamond plate steel pulpit that was on there. Its basically solid with the sides made of mahogany and I scribed and cut them to fit the contour of the boat. The Butler puplit was nice (and expensive), but it wouldn't fit the contour up front. I got that windlass because my friend's low profile kept screwing up, but I'd get a low-profile if I were doing it again just for looks. The thickness and width of the puplit were set by what it replaced--had to be similar to get the bow rail and marks on the deck to line up--get covered up. May be a little clunky, but it works and its solid--you can stand on the end of it.

John

randall

Post by randall »

well there you go!!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nice work, John, your place looks comfortable.
Cool shot of that old boat, Mike.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
gplume

Post by gplume »

At one point in my boats life it had a full blown swordfish stand (see image). Mikes post inspired me to show this shot. Its now chopped down to about 1/3 the length...and I basically just use it for anchoring.

I can take a some detailed pix of the current config if you are interested in duplicating.

Giff
CMP

Post by CMP »

You're right Mike, the Youngs build a great hull and I loved my old beast. Thanks guys. John, that's the one I was looking for. I actually just got off the phone with Butler and I think I'm gonna go with a teak pulpit. Since there's no wood on the boat save for some handrails on the top, I think it'll look nice and is only slightly more than the same one in fiberglass. Pulpit complete with full slot roller for under $900 shipped. Gotta confirm some measurements and how big the toe rail is late this afternoon after taking the kids offshore-finally got a decent day here in Islamorada. Thansk again, boys...

CMP
John F.

Post by John F. »

Teak on that 25 of yours will look great.
CMP

Post by CMP »

I'm getting out-voted 3-1 in favor of fiberglass. Decisions, decisions...

CMP
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I have a Butler swim platform it's nice and has served me well, the were good to deal with and I would use them again.

Go for the teak, it will complement the custom look you've got going.

br,
JohnD
scot

Post by scot »

I like it John. I have been kick'in around the exact same design. How did you wrap the horizonal side pieces into the curved front?....glass without any wood?

Gives me some ideas. Thanks for posting.

Mike I'll pass on your posted idea, did provide a real good laugh.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Marlin

buttler swimplatform

Post by Marlin »

I just purchased a teak platform, nice, when I called they first said 2200$ , then he ask if this was a business calling, of course yes and the price went down to around 1300$ fyi
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mark,

Not sure if your as well equipped down there as you were in NH but Buju had a line on some really inexpensive Plantation Teak last spring..

I stayed away from it because I couldn't pick it my self. DQ also had some checking issues but knowing that I'm sure you could hand pick a couple of boards.. I believe he also had some 10/4 and 12/4 all shorts ..perfect for your application..... at least 50% less than what I could buy it up here...

May be worth a trip.. ..

Ray
randall

Post by randall »

WOOD IS GOOD!!! (no pun intended)
John F.

Post by John F. »

Scott-

When I get a chance, I'll get some pics to you. The pulpit is basically 3 2"x5" planks that were laying around. I epoxied those together to make the pulpit (its about 16" x 5' total), and laid that on the boat. I then scribed 1/2" by whatever mahogany I had for the side pieces, and epoxied those to the pulpit. Everything was done/shaped with a circular saw, jig saw, palm sander, a few cans of beer, and any hand tools I had--that's all I had at the time. It wasn't that hard to do and was built out of scrap wood (I'd buy mahogany planks if I were doing it again) so the only real costs were sandpaper, epoxy, and paint.

John
CMP

Post by CMP »

Ray, I might give him a shout on that-I have his cell and I'm here in Isla right now. Yer right about me being not well equipped here-by design for now anyway...

CMP
tunawish wrote:Mark,

Not sure if your as well equipped down there as you were in NH but Buju had a line on some really inexpensive Plantation Teak last spring..

I stayed away from it because I couldn't pick it my self. DQ also had some checking issues but knowing that I'm sure you could hand pick a couple of boards.. I believe he also had some 10/4 and 12/4 all shorts ..perfect for your application..... at least 50% less than what I could buy it up here...

May be worth a trip.. ..

Ray
scot

Post by scot »

John,

So is the pulpit encapsulated in glass?

BTW mine will be BIG, I like big bow pulpits lol...so maybe I'll use Mike's example.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
John F.

Post by John F. »

Scot-

I epoxied it but didn't glass it--rookie mistake. It was fine for a few years, but needed to be glassed, so that's my other winter project.

John
Buju

Post by Buju »

Mark,
Far as I know there is still some of that plantation teak available... But it isn't the same animal as FEQ burmese teak. Behaves more like ipé... Ray knew from the get go. But yeah, it sure could make a decent pulpit. If you want the contact info gimmie a shout.
I dunno though Mark, if you put a teak pulpit on her- then you obviously need a teak helm pod, and teak boards...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Tangier

Post by Tangier »

Timely question- Am interested in a pulpit as well- Would like one where the stem/shank of the anchor is "inside" the pulpit with the just flukes visible below.

I've looked at the high tide version- but doesn't show it loaded an anchor. Any thoughts appreciated-
In the middle of a rebuild...
Harv

Post by Harv »

I like wood also..... I'll be modifying this to accept anchor roller and winch in the future.
It was able to hold me when I weighed 275. Don't know if would try it now at my present weight,
since quiiting cigarettes.
Harv
CMP

Post by CMP »

Tangier, this is the Butler pulpit I went with http://www.butlermarine.com/AP_Fiberglass.shtml

I'm adding a Maxwell 500 Windlass to do the hard work. Butler was VERY reasonable and easy to work with. They also do them in teak for about $100 more. I think I paid $700ish complete with no bow rail...

CMP
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

GlassTech made mine. They have the original molds that Bertram used for their pulpits. http://www.glass-tech.com/bow-pulpits.html
The many dock lines in the picture were in preparation for Hurricane Katrina.
Eddy G.
Tangier

Post by Tangier »

Thanks for the leads-

Appreciated.
In the middle of a rebuild...