new to site....have a few questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i tell you what i am not going to give you my opinion but from the wants and needs and actual purchases over 11 years tell all of you missed the boat (no pun intended). the reality of real life on the water tells me bahia mar it out but you have to close it in due to the elements be it warm you need (a/c) or cold weather you need(heat)or at least get out of the rain and wind.after witnessing a thousand sales i would say a 31 bertram diesel sedan with a enclose front pipe bridge like the custom one on the 35' everglades lx . now you have your cake and eat it. you have to have a top above you to mount radar,lights,ant.,and fishing rod holders . why not buy a sedan right off and remove door in summer!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

again not my opinion but the fishing boat buying public first request when they walk in the boat center is a pilot house boat. there are many reasons that may or may not affect your purchase of a boat but being able to put rods,reels fishing equipment out of public view is most important as well as getting out of the weather to eat,freshen up,store dry clothes, center console off shore gets pretty uncoftable real quick as well as any open boat. a pilot house or a 31 bertam sedan with numerous tower options advailable today from boat companies who will make any kind of deal to sell what they have on hand . i wish i had the software to superinpose a pretty front enclose tower on a sedan.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
capy

Post by capy »

Dug wrote:Paul had the windows installed by Hunter Scott on Cape Cod. Hunter did a bunch of boats like that, including Grasshopper. It does indeed look very sweet! Pauls whole interior has been changed around and he also has a few other touches that make the boat pretty nice. I've been on her a number of times.

*snip*

Dug
Au contraire, Dug..

Hunter did my gelcoat, railings and pulpit only......I did everything else, mainly cause I could not afford Hunter's price.

I did get the idea from the black pearl, Hunter' first and best restoration....but my execution was entirely different...if you ever saw his glass bulkhead next to mine it's obvious. i kinda overdid it with the teak, his is more minimal and cleaner.

Paul
Dug

Post by Dug »

I stand totally and completely corrected!!!

Paul, and Patrick, sorry!

Paul, I swear that is what you said, but in true fashion, I proclaim that age is getting to me...

Either way, I know Hunter did other boat windows like that. And no matter what, it does look sweet! As is your boat overall!!!

D
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

Bob,

Have you any recommendations of any pics ,or a site, on which I can see
what you're talking about ref a tower for a Sedan.

I had a mind to import a flybridge over to the UK for my project Sedan
but that would be expensive. so then I thought I would have one made
but that would probably be nigh on impossible.

What you're saying about a tower makes good sense.

Ian.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will take a photo of the tower i had in mind tommorow. like i said the sedan has a big advantage over the bahia mar in the fact that it allready has a enclosure with window all around for maximun obsevation. this is the makings of a present day parker,osprey,and the list goes on and on .now days regulator, everglades, edgewater make a beautiful enclosure for the center console trust me nobody enjoys hanging on to a vertical pipe support coming back from a offshore trip in a rainstorm.think of the real world.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok take this tower which has built in cockpit lights and forward light and mounts on 4 individual legs.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

and put it on this 31 sedan and you have it all

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Bob, I have a B31 sedan from the same family (VA Marine Police) as the one you have pictured and I am planning to have a tower built for mine at some point down the road. I have a picture of a nice sedan with a tower on my computer but I don't know how to attach it to this posting (embarrassed to say). If anyone could give me a hint I would love to get it out there for Adams. Glenn
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i don`t want to start a war or say anything other then the accepted but i need a witness in addition to photo`s . there is no doubt in my mind that this 1979 31 bertram is beyond any comparason to any fiberglass layup i have ever seen. we had two 1967,one 1972, 0ne 1973 ,one 1979 and one 1980 31 bertram . the transom is almost twice as thick as the 1967 !!!! i am not going to get into this quite yet because i am busy playing cabinet maker.i will explain in a few months.the 1973 foward deck (in front of windshield) was 3 times as strong as the two 1967 .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gmelvin

Thanks Pat

Post by gmelvin »

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Glen,

Those two sedans belong to Richard Mastry, the SE Yanmar distributor...

A tower over a sedan will have to have a standing platform like Richard's, or the house top will require serious beefing up. It not strong enough by itself.

Also the pilasters should be totally glassed into the cap and glassed closed in order to increase the lateral strength needed for a tower that all four legs land on the house top. Note that Richard's tower has the aft legs extending down to the gunnels.
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Thanks Pat, I had wondered who owned those. I saw the sedan posted for sale somewhere aroud $180 k. Would you happen to know if there is any additional pictures of that tower or other info or contacts to help me with my design. I would prefer an independent structure that I can easily remove or partially remove when trailering the boat. Any good fabicators in the mid-east-coast that you know of that may have experience? Glenn
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rather busy right now but if you wait i will show you the fold dowm mechanism for the 35' everglades lx. i think other boat builders may have same .you could check everglades advertisment or internet. tower fold down real nice mainly for tranportation and those florida canals.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

Thanks Capt. Bob, I'm in no hurry. This is a long term project for me. I am just really thankfull to have such a great source knowledge and a willingness to help-out the new guys on this forum. Glenn
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

pics of Pooka for Adams

Sorry guys they are in no particular order. Adams- I PMed you with some details, call me or PM back when you get a chance.

http://img705.imageshack.us/g/picture039wr.jpg/