what to cut corrosion x with

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Swick

what to cut corrosion x with

Post by John Swick »

I've heard previous reference to a 50/50 solution with laquer thinner as a coating to prevent corrosion.
What about using regular paint thinner or mineral spirits ?
What's the difference ?
Thanks in advance.
mikepelham

Post by mikepelham »

John:

While I am not a corrosion Xpert, I would suggest Mineral Spirits. Lacquer Thinner or other solvent could soften paint on cast iron or steel if puddled up. Mineral Spirits is generally used as a dilutent for rust inihibitors. The company I work for uses a mineral spirits blend for that Cummins uses to fill their fuel systems when shipping. Perhaps the others can chime in.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Da Judge, a/k/a The Prince Of Potions, invented the lacquer thinner mix. The lacuquer thinner flashes off very rapidly and doubt it would hurt any paint. I've used it on all kinds of stuff with no ill effects. The advantage of cutting the CX is to reduce the 'sticky-mess factor that tends to attract dust and crud when doing a large object, like an engine, genset, transmission. I use the CX straight for spot stuff such as moving parts and electrical components. The only caution with CX is avoid getting it on LCD displays as it so 'creepy' it will work between the glass layers of the display and darken them if they are not very well sealed. And, because CX is an oil based product, its been reported that it will harm certain Gore Tex type shaft packing material. Other than that, no ill effects that we know of.

I invented another use for it - cutting it about 80% with lacquer thinner and using it on slate and/or brick to eliminate the "effervesence" , the white powdery stuff around the edges, that forms from mineral salts percolating up thru the stone....paint this solution on, wait overnight, scrub the residue off with non-sudsy dishwahing detergent and water, let it dry and then seal with something like Aldon S-B-S sealer. Works waaaay better than Aldon's effervesence treatment, which does not have the creepy-ness of CX. The solution carries the salts down and out the bottom of the stone. More ways to skin a cat than feed it melted butter.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Other than that, no ill effects that we know of.
UV, you still got that huge stock investmet in #10 rubber bands?
In Memory of Vicroy

Capt., yep, but they are #64s.....man can't operate without a bunch of 'em and a few gallons of CX laying around.

UV
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Ok I'll bite... Still being fairly new here..

What the hell does rubber bands got to do with CX ..

Ray
In Memory of Vicroy

Ray - short answer is nothing. I use #64 rubber bands on the boat, mostly for fishing, like as outrigger and tag line releases....but sometimes on the throttles to keep them from creeping, to tie coils of 300# leaders for storage, and other stuff....I used to get one of the girls at the office to order me a big bag of them, use a few, order another big bag, etc....think Patrick was blown away by how many rubber bands ole AJ had in her various nooks and crannies. As handy as duct tape.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

think Patrick was blown away by how many rubber bands ole AJ had in her various nooks and crannies.
Nope, I was remembering UVI 1 and how you'd gotten carried away with the merits of CX and had bathed your throttles in it. They "creeped" for sure then... (Chuckle)
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

I thought it was going to be another miracle use for CX

"Soak (6) #64 rubber bands in CX overnight, tie them together and use them to snap retrieve a 50lb anchor from 100 fathoms"

You know something like that....

Have a Happy Thanksgiving..

Ray
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Thanks for the responses guys.
Am looking to clean out the paint cupboard abit.
Will try mineral spirits aswell as lacquer thinner (what I used on my last batch), and leave the paint thinner for paint.
We're putting away all the summer gear up here now and bring out the winter toys.
Time for some maintenance at both ends.

On a related note, my crackberry went for a brief swim back in July.
Dried it out best I could and it has worked great up til now.
It's doing all kinds of weird things.
Guy at the bell store says the circuits are now showing signs of corrosion.
I'm due for an upgrade anyway, but I'm fixin' to shoot some cx in the back, let it sit for a day and see what happens.
I will report back for the curious.

Thanks again.