Recomendation for water pitcher filter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Recomendation for water pitcher filter

Post by Bruce »

Want to get a water pitcher with built in filter to try and wean my wife off bottled water. Tired of all the plastic bottles going into the land fill.

What really works for tap water? Or is an under the sink reverse osmosis better overall then just fill up a pitcher.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Recomendation for water pitcher filter

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bruce wrote:Or is an under the sink reverse osmosis better overall then just fill up a pitcher.
Yes.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I like the PUR filter that goes on the faucet, but the filters do not last very long and get pricey. As the filter slowly clogs the water comes out slower and slower till you break down and put a new one in.

Now we have the pitcher, at least the filter lasts longer, but always seems to be empty...
coolair

Post by coolair »

RO systems are the best, but it depends on how bad your water is, and tehy are expensive, depending on what you get and how much water you want to "make" we use the brita picture at the office and it works fine, but like he said, it always seems to be empty. A good carbon filter works pretty well at geting most taste and sediment out. and how long they last depends on how bad your water is, and how much you use them, but i think a 10" activated carbon cost like5 or 10 bucks from my supplier
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
With or without UV light?

I already have a seperate faucet with a carbon filter we use for cooking.

Public water is very good and tasty to me but the wife don't like it.

Thats all that matters, and since thats all that matters neither does the price. Peace and tranquility in the home has no price.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Bruce,

If you are just going for taste, I don't think the UV light (which kills the bad stuff) would be necessary).

Ian.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bruce,
Check out the Everpure filters.
It's a point of use under counter filter that's very good at taking out most all bad things..Has dedicated countertop spigot and is easy to install and replace filter. I've recommended it to my clients and use it myself for over 18 years..
Initial package with filter/spigot/install kit should be about $250.00 +/- and take about an hour or so to install with the tap into cold water line...

Mine is installed into a "t" for ice maker in fridge also. get about 6-8 months of use out of filter

Filters are pricey from dealers ..Buy online in bulk.. save about 50%

I have site somewhere, let me know, I'll try to find it if interested...

Ray
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if she really drinks alot of water you may want to get a cooler, I went to a filtered water cooler versus the big bottles and I have saved over $1000 a year since. I was getting hit with $60-$110 water bills and had to have those damm bottles all over the place that no one wants to replace. A simple nylon line to the cooler and you never have to worry about it again.

If she likes water, and tea or hot chocolate you may want to get one of them, always nice cold or hot water and the filters last well over a year.
They have countertop versions if im not mistaken.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Had the same issue up her on well water in Palm City, bought a brita at publix for $25 just for a test and the water plastic water bottles disappeared. Better than crawlin under the sink for a day.
Bill
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bruce,

I have an RO system. No UV light. Just a five gallon bladder tank to provide adequate pressurized clean water. I use it for the ice maker and have a small tap on the sink. Two filters, one charcoal and the other is the membrane. Change them once or twice a year, depending upon how they're flowing.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Bruce,
Bought a Brita pitcher and three pack of replacement filters in April and the only plastic bottle around is the one I refill from it to keep in the car. Working on my first replacement filter for the past three weeks.
Taste is at least as good as the bottled stuff but I guess that the quality of incoming water can have an effect.
Less expensive than an installed system and not "another project" to schedule.
Jerry, Triton II
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Ahhh... you have lit onto one of my sore spots...

I think it really depends on what you are contending with. First have the water tested. Results will dictate what you are trying to deal with, if it comes back with anything at all. If you are on a municipal water supply vs. a well, you are probably pretty good. That being said, if its just your wife's impression, that is a whole other challenge.

In my case, my water from the well stinks. As in smells. Otherwise, it tests out fine. I had a softener, and a green sand based filter (wtf that is I have no idea, except it had to be stocked with a purple chemical I wasn't allowed to handle without a license) to get it to work. It didn't. I also had a whole house filter that I used carbon refills from GE with that were bought at HD. That took care of the smell for about 3-5 weeks.

I finally got tired of all the bs and ripped it all out and installed a system that essentially bubbles the water, filters, and removes all stuff. It is designed to get rid of radon, but has many other good things it does as well. I don't have radon, but it seems to work really well so far. I am 2-3 months into that installation.

Liz insisted on Brita on top of all that. Jesus...

Anyway, it really depends on what you are contending with. If the water tests fine, put in a sink mounted unit for solids, and just run with it. If there is more, then the RO stuff is great, but like having a mini water plant at your house...and may not be the right application anyway.

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

the only plastic bottle around is the one I refill from it to keep in the car
Jerry,

Be careful about extended use of the plastic water bottles. The plastic itself has some real unhealty stuff in it, is chemically designed to break down under heat and/or exposure to UV light. Not something you want to ingest... Same goes for microwaving in plastic containers.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

BTW I paid about $500-$600 for my cooler, that included installation.

I made my money back in under 6 months so it was worth it for me. We also no longer use the microwave to heat up water for tea, chocolate or oatmeal.

It took the Culligan man about 20 minutes to install, mine houses the filters in the unit.

Culligan entire line of Bottleless Water Coolers feature genuine Culligan technology:

• State-of-the-art filtration technology – available with optional 3-stage reverse osmosis system, remotely mounted reverse osmosis system or Preferred Series Filters

• Multi-temperature controls available – units offer cold, room temperature, and optional hot water

• Maintenance-free design – your Culligan Service Technician will handle everything: installation, filter change and filter disposal

• UV-protection – optional UV filter keeps water in the tank filtered

• Multiple cooler options – Culligan offers several cooler models to match your décor
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Robbie

Sounds like you are out of the marina business. Quite an add for Culligan. LOL
coolair

Post by coolair »

Ya know i dont know why i didn't think of this sooner, but
the absolute best and easiest way to conserve water, and plastic bottles is to drink.... BEER
Dug

Post by Dug »

Coolair,

Well...duh!

You got it before I did. You speak the truth!!!

Dug
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Capt. Pat,
Are you saying that our benevolent government would allow the plastics industry to collude with the bottled water industry to place a downright dangerous product into common use (by the hundreds of millions) at the risk of the health of the populace?
I'm shocked!
Nah. Not really.

And, you're right.
I'm off to the local camping store for one of those reuseable, stainless steel, insulated water bottles. Point taken. Thanks.
Jerry, Triton II
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

JGomber wrote:Capt. Pat,
Are you saying that our benevolent government would allow the plastics industry to collude with the bottled water industry to place a downright dangerous product into common use (by the hundreds of millions) at the risk of the health of the populace?
Actually, the government is taking all of that stuff off of the shelf. In fact, it is already out of anything that could be construed as a child's toy. Water bottles are next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

Phthalates. The new danger.

I still remember the sweet flavor of the lead paint I would chew on while wearing pajamas made of asbestos......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I still remember the sweet flavor of the lead paint I would chew on while wearing pajamas made of asbestos......
And the nice heavy feel of mercury poured from hand to hand or coating pennies to have the color of a dime. Alchemy at it's best!