New York State Saltwater Fishing Licenses.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

New York State Saltwater Fishing Licenses.

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I received a letter from the NY State DEC advising me (because I have a Charterboat license) that effective October 1, 2009 anyone fishing in salt water in NY State must have a Saltwater license. As a Charterboat Captain I can buy a permit for $400 that will allow anyone fishing on my boat to fish without an individual license. The $400 permit will be valid only to December 31, when a new permit (for another $400) will be necessary for 2010. There was a name and number to call if I had any questions I wanted answers for. I called and got a recording, which has never been answered as of this date.
Having no answers, I called the head of our local Harbor Patrol (which covers all of the harbors and shorelines of East Hampton which includes the active fishing areas of Montauk and Three Mile Harbor). I asked:
1. Are you going to enforce this new ruling? Answer-yes, we are obligated by law to do so.
2. If I purchase the $400 permit. What if I go out on my skiff and flyfish with my grandson (or by myself). Am I covered? Answer-Gee, I don't think so but I'll check and call you back. That was 5 days ago. No answer as of yet.
3. We live in a fishing community where a lot of the decision to go fishing is based on impulse affected by the weather and/or unexpected weekend visitors. I often have friends of my wife visit on summer weekends. Can I buy 2 or 3 "guest of Walter Kaprielian" licenses so I can take these one time guests out on my little skiff? Answer-Gee, I don't think so, but I'll check and get back to you.
4. Where can we buy licenses for these people if we have to? Answer-Oh, you can buy them at town hall.
5. Has anyone considered that Town Hall closes at 4pm on Friday and is closed on weekends? Answer- Oh, then you can buy them at Johnny's Tackle Shop in Montauk.
6. So if I want to get a license for someone to fish in Three Mile Harbor I (or they) will have to make a 40 mile round trip to Johnny's Tackle shop do so. Answer- I guess so.
7. Question-What constitutes fishing? Most boaters (recreational or charters) have multiple rods stored on their boats. If I take my family for a summer sunset ride to see the lighthouse and my grandsons want to troll for a while and we catch a bass for dinner, since I have 10 rods that stay on the boat, does everyone on board have to have a permit even if only two fished (and they're both under 16?). Answer-I really don't know.
What a mess! Listen in for the next exciting episode, especially since NO ONE I have talked to even knows of the October 1 date! Another moneymaker for the State of New York! Walter
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Walter

I had a friend ask me if I had heard something and said no. Figured I would read it somewhere. Why did I not see this in the Fisherman or did I miss it? This is B.S at its finest. I was figuring it would start in 2010 guess that was wrong too.
Thanks for the heads up good thing I took my 6 & 8 year old nephews fishing this weekend!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Walter

For all of us its coming to a State near you. Nj is considering doing the same thing. This whole thing is being pushed by the feds and the States see it as a revenue generator. So hold on to your hats. Fishing is going to become a thing of the past. The days of inviting friends out for a day of fishing, prbably the only day in years some of them may ever go fishing is going by the wayside.

PETA will make sure we all give up fishing.
In Memory Walter K

They are hiding behind the Fed requirement which does not require a paid licensing...just a registration for statistical purposes. The real "burner" is that the dollars collected are going into the state's general funds instead of going to Marine uses. For a State like New York, only the city, a small section of Westchester and Long Island have any proximity to Salt water. 90% of the State doesn't.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Here is the info that I found.

Lifetime license $150

Kids under 16 dont need license and you can buy them online.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... se2009.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7755.html
luis

They learn from the same books

Post by luis »

Here, since 2007, we have several taxes for fishing. Saltwater and Freshwater; on shore or on a boat; regional or nationwide and all these taxes are individual and have the name of the fisherman on it. You can apply on several places or on any ATM machine. Licenses can be for 6 months or 1 year. Prices for 1 year goes from about 20 to 50US$. If you are caught fishing and no license then you pay a fee of about 250US$.

No coments !!!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The privileges for fishing in the Marine and Coastal District were not covered previously under any type of license so you must now pay for those privileges.

A quote taken from the licensing requirements.

The proplem here is the powers that be indicate that fishing is a PRIVILEGE.

In the privileges and immunities clause in amendment XIV, section 1, clause 2 of the United States Constitution it states:

“ No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."

To me the state of NY is doing just that. If you can't buy a license, you can't fish and said pivileges are denied.

A possibility?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:The privileges for fishing in the Marine and Coastal District were not covered previously under any type of license so you must now pay for those privileges.

A quote taken from the licensing requirements.

The proplem here is the powers that be indicate that fishing is a PRIVILEGE.

In the privileges and immunities clause in amendment XIV, section 1, clause 2 of the United States Constitution it states:

“ No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States."

To me the state of NY is doing just that. If you can't buy a license, you can't fish and said pivileges are denied.

A possibility?

Bruce,
I think your 100% correct. If we persue this, I see them changing the wording to "Give Us the Money so you can Fish" for now...

What's cool too, is after we pay for the "Priveledge to Fish" we have to buy tackle...how many know there is a 10% recreational tax/surcharge for hooks or hook related items. Found that out when we started buying hooks in quantity for Bunker Spoons we where making at the time.
randall

Post by randall »

as usual..........i'll be an outlaw for awhile. we'll see how that goes.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i belive bruce said it correctly awhile back, all politicans have to be removed, that money that was earmarked for marine use did a flip flop. now its to pay the dec salary and the money that was earmarked for there salary before the licence was swept into the general fund.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your caught Randall, use my argument at the fine hearing.
I'd like to know if it will work.

Charlie,
If those funds were ear marked toward something specific and not used acordingly, thats misappropriation of funds unless legislation was passed to allow it to happen.

Misapropriation of funds is usualy a crimminal offense.
Last edited by Bruce on Sep 22nd, '09, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bruce
i belive thos funds were passed after the licence was passed, all legal under the table crap, $10 fee per person per year, just a start, lets see where we are in 5 years maybe $150. theres already talk of having stamps like duck stamps. like if you want to fish for bass you need a stamp. fluke that will be another stamp thank you.
randall

Post by randall »

caught?
Rit

Post by Rit »

Setting aside my issue with he whole damned concept of taxing my fishing, I dread thinking about the implementation issues involved with RI, CT & NY. We now have size, Catch limits, state contested waters, fishing verses traversing, who gets a "FREE license and who does NOT(me, that's who)and yet another licenses to deal with as the states battle out who gets to steal my money and peal some of the shine off my fishing pleasure.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, here is some less angry info to read.

Connecticut passed it's Marine Fishing License law on 1 July 2009 with the new law enforceable on the same day.

Here are two small sections of the CT DEP Marine Fishing License web page.

QUESTION: What is a reciprocal license privilege? (Is there reciprocity with any other states?)

Connecticut law allows non-resident anglers who hold a marine waters fishing license in New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine to fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state without a Connecticut license provided the state issuing the marine license affords the same privilege to resident Connecticut marine license holders.

QUESTION: I fish in federal waters or in another state’s waters with a Connecticut Marine Waters license?

Federal waters: Federal registration is not required until January 1, 2010. Thereafter, CT Marine Waters fishing license holders will be exempt from the federal registry requirement. The CT Marine Waters Fishing License law was crafted to meet the federal criteria necessary to exempt our license holders from the federal registry.

New York: A saltwater license is not required for New York waters until October 1, 2009. Thereafter, New York will permit CT Marine Waters license holders to fish in the waters of Long Island Sound lying between NY and CT. Reciprocal privileges in other New York waters (ex. Block Island Sound) still need to be determined by New York officials.
NH: A saltwater license is not required for New Hampshire waters until January 1, 2011. There is no reciprocity with CT.

RI, MA, ME do not have marine license laws yet, so it is not possible to provide an answer for these waters. We will update this page as information becomes available for each state.

Here's a link to the CT DEP section on Marine Waters Fishing License: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=26 ... v_GID=1630
In Memory Walter K

I still can't get a definition of what constitutes "fishing". A boatride to see the lighthouse on a boat that is always laden with rods in their racks...are all the guests on the boat liable for tickets? That would sure be a moneymaker at The Blessing of the Fleet day!
Now I see that the $400 license is mandatory for charter boats. $250 for the privilege of keeping 2 striped bass and $400 more now for a covering license. $650 and you haven't left the dock yet! My Charter license days are over thank you...no more for the State in 2010! A real business friendly State at a time when they want to boost the economy. I guess they think spending more means giving them more.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

All it takes is one check to get fined, but with the federal and state budgets what they are, manpower for enforcement is thin.

In 30 years of boating and being on the water an average of 3 days a week during that time, many of them fishing, the only time I got stopped was by DEA in the late 90's in a go fast boat.

I ain't bought a fishing license in 15 years. Don't feel something that is a GOD given right needs to be taxed.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Walter,

You would have to have a rod in your hand to be fishing. The line would have to be in the water. The guy gaurding the cooler drinking beer would not need a license, even if he were sitting next to a rod with a line in the water. In FL kids under 16 do not need them and folks over 65 do not need them either. Those are just a few exeptions here anyway. Like Bruce said, if you get stopped it is just bad luck and not the norm. If you get stopped on the way in there are creative ways to get by granted you do not have all your bag limits. With the tough economic times the boyscouts with the guns are the first to get cut.....because who really gives a dam about environmental police anyways. I can say that because I was one. There is also another trick. You can make yourself "THAT GUY". My definition of "that guy" is.............the guy that has all the guns on his boat. Water piggies that make 30K a year will find other things to do. Nobody ever stops me....they just wave. Hope this helps or at least you get a laugh out of it.
randall

Post by randall »

my plan is to troll from the kayak or the inflatable with a sharp eye and a sharp knife. "who me....no i havent started yet....thanks for stopping me and telling me about the license before i did something wrong....thanks again!!".
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

cwj wrote:bruce
i belive thos funds were passed after the licence was passed, all legal under the table crap, $10 fee per person per year, just a start, lets see where we are in 5 years maybe $150. theres already talk of having stamps like duck stamps. like if you want to fish for bass you need a stamp. fluke that will be another stamp thank you.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

These prices will sky-rocket exponentially year after year!

That is why this is a big deal! Its not the 10 bucks! Its the raping that will follow.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

randall, I'm w/you on this one. No way to fight it.
Bitch and try to keep fees low, guys, good luck. All you can do.
Poor Walter. Feel bad for you but not as bad as I feel bad for myself.
We're fee-ed and taxed for everything and its going to just get worse every year.
But one good thing, nice cob picture, Bruce. I copied it for my "file". Very cool.
Kevin, sounds good but if someone asks you "were you fishing...." , its plain hard to look someone in the eye and lie....but then, I never had formal legal training........but I've been told by game wardens thru the yrs w/various excuses...."tell it to the Judge...here's the ticket".
9 at once was my record.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
randall

Post by randall »

migratory birds?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

NINE!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to go see the movie Inglorious Bastards.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Guys good luck. Here in NC if you are fishing/trolling 2 rods or more and the wife is just sun bathing. She has to have a license also because of the number of lines. Everyone needs a license on the boat. If you fishing more than one line. Its $600 a year for a charter license for 6 people. In virgina you can get a boat license for under a $100 for the year that covers everyone on the boat. But not here.

Good Luck
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

When was the last time a group of NY state fisherman visted the capitol?

Or any state for that matter.

They do it because nobody says anything about the practice of sodomy by the electoriate.