Any leads for a Bareboat Cruise??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Any leads for a Bareboat Cruise??

Post by Carl »

This is something I always wanted to do...cruise the tropics.

I thought it would be really out of reach, well it is for just me and the wife, but we have found a few other couples really interested. Maybe still not yet in our reach, but looking at some online sights it does not look far off either.

So...has anyone tried one of these Bareboat Cruises, anything to look for, stay away from. Anyplace better then any other, I was looking at the Virgin Islands as a destination, but does not have to be...

Anyway, I don't now anyione who has tried this route before. I know a few who have taken their own boats, but that's not going to happen...

Thanks
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Sail or power?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Power...I can only sail a Sunfish.

What I had in mind was a 43 Catermaran or similar. I've seen Trawler's used but from my limited time on them I don't see everyone taking a liking to the roll. They think I roll with the 31.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You've come to the right place. One of my businesses is in Tortola, BVI and I have been traveling there for over forty years. I have chartered there as well, but only sail. By the way if you can sail a Sunfish you can sail anything. The bigger the boat the more forgiving. On a Sunfish, if you make an error you are instantly wet. With a big boat you have an instant to think,
"Oh, s#*t, now what!"
Anyway, there are several charter firms on Tortola, the most well know and the company with the most well-maintained fleet is the Moorings. They have sail and power. http://www.MooringsPower.com/
There are several others located at Nanny Cay but I don't know them well. Check reputations on these. If I may be of help let me know how. We will be on Tortola in February, "taking care of business,' yea sure! If your plans put you there then I'll let you buy me a rum for my troubles.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sim: I rented the sail version of this Cat from the Moorings last fall in Tortola. The year before we chartered an older version from them. Some friends of mine who were on the charter with me are renting the powercat this January. The moorings is a very good charter service who has their own boats built in South Africa. I can recommend them without reservation.

The 47 is a VERY well laid out boat and will sleep 4 couples. Each stateroom has its own head with a separate enclosed shower.

http://www.mooringspower.com/vtour474/index.html
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

Did it last October through VIP yachts in St. Thomas. http://www.vipyachts.com Rented a 59 ft Tarquin for 3 couples. Had tons of room. I really preferred the monohull over the power or sailcats because of the berth sizes. The monohulls had substantially more room than the cats.

The little diesel motors sipped fuel at cruising speed. Cleared customs at Sopers Hole on Tortola. The whole deal was easy breasy. We took a couple of ice chests from the states full of meat and things we knew would be expensive. Rum is cheap, meats/vegetables/fruit are not.

The biggest problem was Hurricane Omar. Really screwed up our schedule and freaked out the women.

I will be doing this annually it was so much fun. Everything in the BVI's is line of site outside of Anagada so navigation is a non issue. If you go, take an underwater light for overboard viewing at night. Tarpon, snook, turtles, rays, sharks. And don't fish without a BVI license. Its serious jail time. Also, check with Mikey on when to go. Things really shut down around August through November. We didn't know that and were disappointed in that many establishments weren't open.

Life's too short not to do it.
Last edited by Tom on Sep 21st, '09, 14:41, edited 3 times in total.
Viva la Presidente!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Tom: Omar ran me off after 3 days of our charter too. That stunk!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Xcellent info thank you.

Pricing is really less then expected, at least for the boat part... then again I haven't figured in food, drink, fish licences, fuel, taxs and flight, dinner out, excursions...but somehow I expected it to be more.

Feb is when we were talking about going...but not sure if this coming year would work for me.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sim, I concur on the pricing. It ended up cheaper than I thought. Really a bargain even taking into account $5 fuel last year.

The money ended up even better because we were required to take out trip insurance by the boat vendor. B/C of Omar, we ended up getting more than half of our money back. I think we were out of pocket 2 days on the boat, food and booze. The insurance co wouldn't go for the 3 cases of Cruzan dark as needed for psychological healing from the big bad storm.
Viva la Presidente!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tom wrote: The insurance co wouldn't go for the 3 cases of Cruzan dark as needed for psychological healing from the big bad storm.

LOL...well you had to try.
Stephan

Re: Any leads for a Bareboat Cruise??

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
I'm dredging this thread up as rather than get fat and comfortable with a positive checking balance I would like to take my family to the Virgin Islands in March.
My wife and I managed the circumnavigation of Tortola back in 2000 and want to do it again with our children. Sail or power, no preference really.
Any advice on who to charter from, how to prepare, what not to bring, etc. is most welcome.
Thank you,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I stand by what I said above, but bear in mind that that was 2008. I got married and had a child so no more fun for me for a while!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tom

Post by Tom »

We are still doing this BVI trip. Nearly yearly. I use The Catamaran Company out of Hodges Creek Tortola now though. Going in July of this year.

I now get a 45 Lagoon sailcat. It's a wonderful,and somewhat economical vacation. I had no sailing experience and picked it up quickly. As they say, the only sailing resume you need is a check that will clear. Pretty dumb proof if I can do it. I actually enjoy the sailing part especially open water to Anegada or St Croix. Only use the diesels for docking and mooring. Generator runs the ac all the time though.

We have friends that use Moorings with equal success. Headed back in July for a 3 boat flotilla of friends for 2 weeks. Easy flight from Houston to San Juan PR and a quick 40 minute flight into Beef Island airport with a transfer to Hodges creek.

Round number for the 45 Lagoon is $1k a day all in.split between two families is digestible for us. Set your own itinerary or wake up and see where the day takes you. It's a good trip.

Smaller boats go for much less.

We live in swimsuits and cover ups. Take a couple of camp,shirts and nice shorts for excursion dinners. Women always bring a dress or two. You can provision in Roadtown or have them fill the boat with groceries for you. Free delivery. I also get a couple of paddle boards and we do a dive or two somewhere. Usually the Rhone wreck and the Indians. Pack light and bring clothes you can wash in the sink. There are laundry facilities at many islands. My bride likes hanging out at The Bitter End for a day. We rent hobbie cats for the kids to fool around with. We usually sail to Anegada one day, a day or two at Jost Van Dyke, hit Norman Island at The Bight, Cooper, Peter, beach glass combing on Salt, a hike and dive of the Baths on Virgin Gorda and lunch at the top of the Baths. Spa day for the girls at Scrub Island or Hotel Smerelda and the guys go offshorefishing.

We also really like diving and snorkeling watermelon cay on US St Johns. There is also a national park with rum ruins there to explore. Get a Foders type guide book. There are always new areas to explore. One st of friends have been doing it since the early 80's. This years trip will be their 30 something time
Viva la Presidente!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Thank you very much gentlemen.
I am told Footloose Charters http://www.footloosecharters.com/ is operated by the Moorings with their support just 3+ yr older boats and discounts to match.
S
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tom

Post by Tom »

Footloose boats are very visible around the islands. They appear to be nice boats in good shape. If they are ,Moorings affiliated I'm sure that's a good outfit.
Viva la Presidente!