Let's make UV's spaghetti sauce

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Let's make UV's spaghetti sauce

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Well, having been on a totally liquid diet administered thru a feeding tube for over a year, being able to start eating solid food is a pretty big deal....I still can't eat some things like bread and red meat, but getting better all the time....they used the radiation equivalent of a Hiroshima A-Bomb killing the cancer in my throat, so that left a little collateral damage that is healing sorta slow....so my cooking right now is geared to stuff I can swallow easy and no red pepper.....actually real coonass food uses next to no red pepper - only the fake cajun food loads up the red pepper to hide the lack of care in overall prep.....so let's make some spaghetti sauce that will feed about 12.

Take a big iron skillet that we are gonna use to saute' down most of our ingredients. Melt a stick and a half of real salted butter and an equal volume of extra virgin olive oil. Add two bunches of chopped green onion, four heads (yep, 4 or more) of chopped fresh garlic, and two chopped stalks of celery. Squeeze in the juice of a big lemon - or two little ones, then chop the lemon peel fine (yep the peel) and add that to the saute'. You can add some chopped bell pepper if you like it, but I hate the damned stuff, gives me gas for a week just smelling it.

Saute' the veggies down adding some white wine as you go, then add a pound of sliced mushrooms and continue to saute' until the mushrooms have shrunk up a good bit. Now pour your saute' into a big pot and keep simmering very slowly. Now cut up two pounds of mild smoked sausage into tiny chunks and saute' with a stick of salted real butter and some olive oil in your iron skillet until nice and brown, then add to the pot. Now dice up real small some pork chops you have trimmed the fat off of...say a half dozen, and saute' them down in your iron skillet with a half stick of butter and a little olive oil (we are up to 3 sticks of butter now) until the pork is brown and add to the pot. Now add a couple of cups of white (or red if you like) wine to the pot and simmer the whole she-bang for hours....you are trying to cook the sausage and pork down to next to nothing, a thick sauce. As it cooks down, add liquid and cook down some more....wine...plain water, or beef or chicken stock is fine.

I prefer mine without tomato, but the Bride now and then talks me into adding a 16 oz. jar of tomato sauce and its okay. I made some Sat. for a party we were having at the camp Sunday nite and used andoulle sausage instead of the pork chops in addition to the smoked sausage, but its pretty had to get outside of Louisiana. Serve over angel hair pasta or just plan ole spaghetti with some grated parm cheeese on the side.....remember, spaghetti expands like crazy so take out as much as you think you will cook and put half of it back....I boil mine in salty water (I use sea salt for cooking, much better flavor) for 12 minutes, drain and spray with cold water to keep it from sticking together.

Sunday nite we had a good bit of both sauce and spaghetti left over and mixed it up in a casserole dish and froze it to eat another day.

The sauce is pretty much an all day affair, but a great diversion while watching football and drinking...once you get it all in the pot and just simmering you are out of the woods on screwing it up so it does not take much watching after that.

Finally, note that there is no seasoning at all....its real easy to add salt and pepper at the table but damn hard to take out.....

y'all enjoy.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now you have gone and made me hungry!! Sounds excellent! I will be trying it.

Congratulations on being on the mend! We all take things like eating real food for granted, don't we!

Take care my friend, Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV...

I am not sure I know 16 people I want to have a meal with but I am going to make your sauce real soon! Thanks for the recipe.

My wife has been cleaning out the freezer and came up with a frozen pork butt, and asked me to make the meal I did after you posted that recipe many moons ago.. so I will be cooking that soon as well. The oysters saute was a hit as well.. but I still can't shuck those critters without getting pieces of broken shell mixed in with the innards.

It is good to see you posting again!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

This proves you are back.

It's been quite without you. Glas to see you around again.

Great timing, going to be getting into the cool season soon up here. We could always use a couple of those comfort food recipes you have stashed away.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Zowie!
You coonasses be difernt from us Virginia rednecks. Dat be a swell soundin' sauce. The bride and I are coming to the end of a one-year project of designing and building a kitchen overlooking Dreamsicle's house. As soon as the cook top works and the fridge is plugged in I'm on this one.
Had to stop typing three times to wipe the drool off my chin. Now I got's to save up to buy the butter.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Where is my invite Mikey?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

C'on Mikey, get that kitchen finished up and get to cookin'.....you guys can cut the recipe down real easy...just imagine the full recipe is 10 fingers and 10 toes....figure out how many folks you gonna have for dinner and subtract that many toes and/or fingers, then divide the remainder by 3.1416 and you got it.

Of course everything tastes good to me right now, but last nite me & the Bride took our 9 year old grandgirl out to the Bonefish Grille for her birthday and I got an appitizer called the "Shrinp Saucy" that was a butter & garlic sauce (probably a little wine too) with some lime in it, sun dried tomatos, Greek olives, Feta cheese, and some small shrimp - probably 50 count or so - saute'd down, but just for a few minutes, so they were very, very tender....it was one of the best little dishes I've ever had at a restaurant. I could only eat about half and fixin' to eat the other half for lunch.....Bonefish is a chain, but the one here in Baton Rouge always serves superb food, way above your expectations....they claim none of their seafood is frozen, and I've never seen any evidence of it. And the dirty little secret the dish is less than $7, and it was happy hour and the Absolute martinis were $4.50.....damn cheap date...

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Vic, Even though that's not your recipe I am going to give it a try this weekend. We're about five days from total completion and then break out the saute pan, garlic and butter. Whew! We have two cook tops, one is a two-burner gas and the other is a two-burner induction. One oven, one fridge a body could live in, and counter space for days. I designed it for cookin' not lookin' so I'm anxious to get on with it.
Rawleigh, you and Susan strap on the bib and C.O.D.
Vic, Ain't nothing like that first taste after a long fast, especially if involuntary. Glad it had all those flavors exploding in your mouth.
Bon appetite!

Rawleigh, tide is so high from the off-shore storm I had to pull Dreamsicle out of the boat house. Another inch and I would have had serious trouble. Think you're O.K. but worth a look.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

UV Good and very glad you are up and about.
Mikey. You get din din started and I will plug in the refrigerator. So call two days in advance so Rawleigh and I will no what time dinner is going to be.
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chris, May get that fridge plugged in today.
Maybe not.
It's coming and so are the pix.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Mikey; Give an opportunity to be a SA and I will take it! How many people does it take to plug in a frig?
Still your buddy Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

UV,

4 sticks of butter
2 cups of olive oil
2+ cups of wine
2+ POUNDS of pork

Holy Crap....and only problem you
have is your throat???!!!...LOL

God must be smiling on you!!!!

Sounds good though...keep them coming..

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ray,

We eat differently down here south of the Mason/Dixon... It's kind of a Jeff Foxworthy thing: "If you ain't clutchin' yer heart after every bite,,,,,,,well,,,,,, ya' just ain't eatin' right."
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Capt Pat,

Hey I'm not complaining.. my kind a meal. How do you think I keep that girlish figure in my avatar, but Jeessshh..I'd want to make sure the policy is paid up
before I sit down for a plate of that sauce....

I'm gonna go pay it now, and make a batch for Monday Night Football..should be even better after a couple days...

Ray
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Most sauces and chowders are.
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Vic, I like your recipe, but its kinda spartan......needs more butterl
Good to see you posting here. We spent Labor Day with Garry Jordan. He gave me a lesson (again) in catching flounder. Stuffed them with jumbo lump crabmeat and baked/broiled them.....basted liberally with BUTTER......tasty.
randall

Post by randall »

matt....im still full from our last meeting....seriously.

yeah...cereal for lunch and salad for dinner.........unless i cross paths with you guys.... dangerous !!

BTW...i hung the lure from the rocket launchers. got a lot of positive response in the holy sh!t category.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Chris,
It takes at least a dozen in the South. One to plug in the new one and the rest to stand, drink in hand and offer condolences for the old one.
The old one is the forty-year old original to the house and the ice maker still works. It is going to a cabin on the Corrotoman.
A just and deserved retirement.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Shoot, remember all that was for about 12 people...I fixed the mushrooms and sea scallops for some folks at the camp last night and they licked the pot. Whole Foods was out of the baby Mexican sea scallops so got the big 'uns....at 19 bucks a pound and the democrat had his damn thumb on the scale too...anyway, cut them in quarters, simmered them in the butter, garlic, olive oil, mushrooms, etc for 3 minutes and they were perfect.

Heart trouble ain't my issue...my Dad died earlier this year pushing 99 and the spaghetti recipe was his. I need to gain some pounds....chemo sort of knocks it offa ya....I was down to 118 at one point and started out skinny. Up to about 135 and need another 5 or 10......

The weather guys shoulda named this storm in the northern Gulf that's been raining on our parade since Friday....strong east wind too and it pushed the tide up almost 3 feet.....water all over the yard at the camp and AJ looks like she was floating in a lake - my dock is way under....they had to close the flood gates in New Orleans too.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

118!?!?!? Turn sideways, stick out your tongue and you look like a zipper.
EAT!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein