Bertram 24

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

boatnuts

Bertram 24

Post by boatnuts »

Is there anyone on here with any knowledge of the origins of the 24 foot hull? :?:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Boatnuts,

In the mid to late '60s, Bertram Yacht tested the "muscle-boat" waters and built a 24' and a 28' "Cigarette" knock-off (along the lines of the Bertram 20 Baron). Best I can tell, they only produced them for a year or so, and then they quietly disappeared from the Bertram line-up. They have very nice and sporty lines, and are surely built rock-solid like the rest of the 60's Bertrams.
randall

Post by randall »

isnt the 24 the one they made the "camper" out of?
Buju

Post by Buju »

isnt the 24 the one they made the "camper" out of?
Yes it is. I think the only 24's I've seen were open (moppie) with a pop up camper cuddy.
I was under the impression they were a Napier design and from the 70's,when they came out with the 26 and the 28, having a very similar hull design, with a non rounded keel at the transom, less tumblehome, and smaller lifting strakes...very unlike the Hunt designs.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CMP

Post by CMP »

There was one up here that I could have had for a song, but I'm project-tired and need a break. Love the boat and how she looks-good luck. Hey Buju, I'll be down yer way 29 July-3 August. I'll be in touch...

CMP
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

The hull I have just started working on is the "Moppie II" version with no camper bow. I am a big enthusiast of the hulls that are "V" to the heel, having previously owned a 25 foot Magnum Marine for a dozen years. The aft 2/3 of this hull is almost the spitting image of the 24 foot Cigarette, only a tad wider and extremely similar to the Magnum I had. What I was really wondering is if this hull was actually ever put to any offshore performance competition and if so are there any photos. Thanks guys
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I think I remember a thread on this with pictures some time in the not-too-distant past. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

Boatnuts, what year is she... 70's vintage? Is this the one that was for sale in Wisconsin for a few years? Sharp ride...

Mark, bring it on... been meaning to get back to you on the pm. Will do so now.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

Buju - this is 1971 and not the one from Wisc. - it was a pop up front camper version. This one is the Moppie II and came from the Boston area and originally from Florida.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

regarding offshore competition, by the time this boat was put in production offshore racing had matured to larger hulls so do't think it could have been competitive.

formula was sucessful back in 1964 with their 24 foot hull, but by the 70's with outdrives to handle big horsepower, boats had grown to 32'+ bertram was probably campaigning a 38' by then.

try the book Sea Race to get a complete picture of scene.
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

I am pretty sure that if this hull was ever used in competition that it would have been in the later 60's
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

Just a little update. This is still an ongoing project but I had it up running for 2 months before storing for the winter last weekend. I hope my updating and minor customization do not offend any of the "faithfull". The 24 is truly pretty boat that performs very well.
Image[/img]
randall

Post by randall »

beautiful!!!

unlike cars there is no stigma in updating and improving the basic design. having a 40 year old car and driving it now and then is one thing...taking a 40 year old boat way offshore is another.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

That boat is gorgeous -- no need to worry about offending me -- I'd give my left nut for that ride!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Outstanding Boatnuts! How about filling us in on the power package and your performance numbers. She is a real beauty and a true classic.
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

She's running a Mercruiser 383 Magnum MPI and a Bravo 1. The engine only has about 17 hours on it but cruises nicely at 2700 RPM and just over 30 MPH and depending on prop tops out at 4650 to 4800 and well past 60 MPH This engine has been a most pleasant surprise. I have run big blocks in my previous boats. One was a 330 HP and the other was a 500 HP and I was sceptical as to what to expect on a small block stroker in a boat of this size and weight. It is more responsive than expected and picks this boat up even with a good load on board rather quickly. Best part is she is fun and comfortable to drive at any speed.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Great numbers, great looking boat, graet job. Did you have a BB in her before? Just wondering how the numbers compared.
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

John
I bought this as a stripped bare hull a year and a half ago. Before I got the boat it had a straight 6 like most of the smaller Bertrams.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

wow!

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Boatnuts,

She is stunning. Absolutely beautiful!!!!

Dug
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

it's similar to the route i went with my boat--in hot rodders terms-shaved
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thats a head turner for sure
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What a great looking boat. Classic lines.
boatnuts

Post by boatnuts »

Thankyou for all of your possitive comments. I am really thrilled with this boat. I hope to finish all the interior trim and accessories in the spring.