The chickens have come home to roost....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

The chickens have come home to roost....

Post by Bruce »

So to speak.

We've had the discussion of the new electronic diesel engines and the potential problems that can occur.

While I haven't seen too many issues, I have seen failures in all 3 major makers Cummins, Volvo and Yanmar. Some under warrantee, some not.

What I haven't seen until now is the result of lightning strikes on these systems and the corresponding handling by the insurance companies and owners involving high deductables and the stress of high dollar components.

Last week got a call from an owner of a 38' Luhrs that just pulled into Sailfish marina on his way to the Bahamas. !0 minutes after pulling in a storm rolls thru and his boat gets hit.

Apparently hit the stb rigger, ran down to the base and being the rigger wasn't bonded or grounded made a hole thru the fiberglass and jumped to the bonding buss bar and out thru the boat.

One light on the flybridge overhead was completly blown off and melted.

Engines are the Yanmar 6LY3-STE, all computer, non common rail.

First words out of my mouth was to replace everything but harnasses as they looked okay.

Most of these components can't be individualy checked and since they work in common areas, one bad part can take out others.

No go do to expense.

I was told to replace the "I" boxes(engine data to display and can buss system interface) only. I refused saying that by not at least replacing the engine ECM'S also that the risk of damaging a new "I" box from a bad ECM was too risky and that if either the insurance company or owner would sign a release waiver to do so I would go ahead and comply.

When asked why I needed the waiver I stated that when the music stops I was not going to be left without a chair. In other words I wasn't paying for another round of "I" boxes.

Since no one would sign one, they complied and despite agian insisting to just replace everything to save time and expense told me to do just the two items.

Well I did 3(switch pad on/ff start switches as one switch wouldn't click anymore) and at least got the engines to start and idle.

Was able to increase engine rpm slightly by using the sub throttle pots and discovered the stb ran real rough(more on that later). The main controls didn't work.

Replace them but they weren't available anymore so I had to retro fit the newest can buss system only controls. Ordered and did so.

Got some control light flickers but still had no shift/throttle control and the nema light on the "I" boxes was unlit indicated an com buss failure.

After much looking and diagnosing it seems both the 4" LCD engine displays are bad even thought they power up. Must be a short in the com buss system inside as removing them and hooking the controls to the com buss system only, I was able to bring the new controls online and shift and throttle up.

New displays are on order and until they are installed tomarrow I can't diagnose the stb engine missing. It most likely will be a timing sensor or something like that.

Now at this point most everything I wanted to replace is replaced as I first requested. Its gonna cost more money in labor and overnight shipping costs which nobody but me seemed to get.

All along I've been trying to tell them lightning bad juju. Even showed them the video sent to me of the Indian(push start) standing on top of a train and then grabbing the overhead wires, the big pop twice and then falling down and self combusting as proof stray electrical currents are bad juju.

Final costs could reach 10 to 12K as this stuff is expensive.

Anyone who has these electronic diesels make sure you have proper insurance coverage, consider all extended factory warrantees and if problems like lightning strikes occur make sure you insist that all components be replaced.

Insurance companies will try and save money by piece mealing it. Don't let them.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bruce, Glad my cummins are mechanical.....that sounds like one heck of troubleshooting job...fix this move onto that...like you said replace it all.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Today I got the complete data buss system up and working along with external engine controls and displays.

Engines though are in a power reduction mode showing fault codes.

Since nothing on the engine could be tested until the system was up and running it looks now that engine sensors are fried.

In the A.M. I will be hooking up the lap top and $1500.00 diagnostic box we are required to buy.

To me there is just something amiss when you have to hook up a computer to check a computer system.

40+ years of computer development and this is all we have?

Its the devils work I tell you.

Next time you feel the need to cuss your mechanical diesels, let that flow into a big hug and treat them once in a while to a good fuel additive.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Unfortunately, yes it is the devil's work, and I predicted it when I said "time will tell". Diesels are dependable and last long by virtue of their simplicity. Computerization is a complication only repairable by replacement. Can you imagine computerized diesels on the 15 B-31's at Tropic Star?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Tropic Star . . . the ultimate proving ground!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

No matter what's wrong, if they can't fix it for tomorrow's fishing, they get pretty upset. And usually it gets done!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Carlos Alvarez, the head of maintaince at TSL works magic in the jungle with those 4-53s day in and day out..........change an engine and gear in 2 hours flat. My 1989 Cummins 6BTA 250s may clatter a bit, but they runnnnnnnnnnnnn. I had a lightning strike hit an overhead power line behind AJ in the Venice Marina years ago and it fried all my electronics, but the engines never noticed.

On the subject of long life for diesels of the size we use in B31s, to me the trick is proper propping to avoid overloads, attention to instruments (and the seat of your pants and nose) to avoid overheats, keeping the oil and filters clean, and probably the most overlooked maintaince item I've seen over the years is control of the rust.....rust kills more engines than anything. Injector lines are hi carbon steel and rust if you look at them funny; the ends of hyd. hoses do too.....oil pans (except Cummins 6Bs, they are aluminum). Wire brush and paint.....spray cans of Cummins white are a few bucks a can and I do mine once a year and it takes about a can a side, including the gears.......then there is CX, the magic in a can, both the red and the blue Heavy Duty can....no excuse for any rust on anything if you own a can of CX, none whatsoever. It makes me sick to see a perfectly good diesel engine rusting away.....

UV
scot

Post by scot »

You guys forgot to mention that the TSL DD's have the "self lubricate" option for rust control.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
CMP

Post by CMP »

Bruce, great info, but I'm curious about the insurance end of things. Aren't lightning strikes generally covered? I guess I need to look at mine...

CMP
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Many these days with high premiums take larger detuctables to afford the premiums which means higher out of pocket expenses.

A 5k hit on electronics is one thing.

Were're up to 11k so far and it looks like the rack sensor is out on the stb engine.

This is not serviceable part seperate from the injection pump.

Translated the injection pump and amplifier that feeds its electronics has to be replaced as a whole unit somewheres around 5k or more I'm guessing at this point.

Plus the side of the engine this is on is right up against the fuel tank which makes R&R something of a freak show.

My guess is when all is said and done this is going to be a 20k bill just for engine work.

Add to that everything else that bit the dust and the tally could be 30 to 40k and he hasn't even pulled the boat to check thru hulls or the bottom yet.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Geez, that's nasty. I called my insurance company yesterday to get 12 month inwater coverage and navigation limits to include FL and the Bahamas in prep for the winter in Isla and asked them about lightning strikes. The guy I needed to speak with was not in, but I'm looking forward to hearing what they say. Thanks Bruce...

CMP
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Final report.

Well today I did owner included sea trials and everything ran well.

After replacing faulty oil and boost sensors on both engines and the port comming on line okay, the stb did not.

It still showed a rack position sensor code which puts the engine in a reduced power mode and unfortunatly the 200.00 sensor is not replaceable. So the whole injection pump was replaced along with the amplifier unit.

After installing the pump and programming the new binary codes for the pump into the main engine ECM the rack sensor code would not go away.

After much sweating and cussing it turned out to be a glich in the diagnostic software and reseting the program worked.

Started and ran engine and used the software to auto tune engine and rack.

The procedures outlined in the service manual for some steps are no longer valid and since this is only the second boat with these engine to be hit by lightning in the world the first was in Europe, this was new ground for everyone.

As it turned out the red neck mechanic from Southeast Marine ended up teachin the teachers a thing or two.

Final cost approached $18,000.00.
80% of that is parts.

While the chance of lightning strikes is slim, this again is food for thought.