Hull Numbers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Hull Numbers

Post by Harry Babb »

Good evening gentlemen
This new format is not so bad at all.
Several months ago I shared my plans concerning work that I intended to do on My B31 Express Cruiser. Well since then I have pecked away at repairing and upgrading "De Nada" working an hour or two in the evenings and most every weekend. Still have a long way to go........but for now my goal is to have every thing functional enough to make a run from Fish River Alabama to the Blue Angles Air Show in Pensacola Florida on the 15th of July. This week I am tying loose ends in preparation for the trip.
I do not know where the Hull Numbers are located on my 1966 B31
Express. The number on My Alabama Boat Registration papers is 313490. Can you guys tell me if this is a Bertram ID number or not?? I need the Hull Number to register the warranty on the Genset.
I am generally better at the mechanical aspects of boat maintaince than I am at the Glass and Paint work. With the help and guidance from B31, and a good bit of practice, I am rather satisfied with the results of my fiberglass work on the interior.
Thanks
Harry Babb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Harry..

I own a Bertram 33, not a 31, but I recently had a series of conversations with some people at Bertram in regard to the meaning of the hull numbers.. ie: What each character means.. I posted this info in a string of posts on the Bertram 33 web site with the subject "What year is my Bertram". If this info is of interest just go there.. anyone can access it. ("www.bertram33.com")

As far as where the hull numbers are.. legally one set is supposed to be on the extreme starboard side of your transom, within a few inches of the top edge. They are usually about 1/2" high and molded into the transom when the hull was laid up. The Bertram people also told me a second set is also required to be somewhere else inside the boat.. usually in a place that is well hidden (to discourage thieves from altering them). Usually they are somewhere on a structural part in the aft bilge space, but some 33 owners have found them on one of the engine bed stringers, on the outboard side of the inner stringer... ie: Directly under the starboard engine.

I am not sure if the above applies to boats the age of yours.. but it might be a good place to start looking.

A very good discussion of the specifics of boat hull numbering can be found at "http://www.phrf-nw.org/hull_numbers.htm".

Good luck!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The transom hull numbers apply to all boats built in or after November, 1972 when the Safe Boating Act (federal law) went into effect. Before that they were usually marked in magic marker or on a glassed in strip of paper. Most pre-1972 B31s have that under the port v-berth.

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

vic
mine is a 68 bahia mar and my #s are on the inside of the transom. i have found that they can be any place.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have an early 60's B-31 Sportsfisherman. Over the years I have found 3 sets of numbers on my boat, all of which were in sequence: 31-382, 31-383 and 31-384. I was told that in those days the parts were laid out on a manual assembly line and picked up and used with little regard as to maintaining exact numbers. In each case I found the numbers hand written in black on the rough (unfinished) side of fiberglass and formica panels. I picked one of them, 31-382 and declared it mine. I suspect yours are legit with the exception of the last zero. I don't think they could have made that many Express Cruises by that date. Walter
Pete Fallon

Hull Numbers

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
Call me on my cell @ 561-310-7179 if you want to talk, I've owned an express for 29 years, the hull number you posted is consistant with a mid 60's boat. I've surveyed at least 15 31's.
Pete Fallon