Allied Richard Bertram Yard Closing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Allied Richard Bertram Yard Closing

Post by CaptPatrick »

Just got the word this morning that the Allied Richard Bertram Yard in Miami is shutting down on Friday... All yard crews are being laid off and only a few temporaries will be kept to do the clean up and get gear ready for removal.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Pat: Was that the plant near the airport or a different location?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rawleigh,

The plant is Bertram Yachts Inc., near the airport. Allied Richard Bertram is the yard and offices directly across the street & on the canal. What's being shut down is the service yard & parts department. I'm guessing that Bertram Yachts will still continue to use the yard for new boats as they have in the past.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Patrick,
Any word on the satellite branches? In particular, Ocean Reef?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Only heard of the yard closing, nothing about the brokerages. I suspect they'll be doing some trimming within that division also...
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Pat, is this where Richard Kidd worked?
Buju

Post by Buju »

nah... I beleive RIchard works at Bertram proper.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Capt. Pat, make them an offer, these days no offer is small enough.
Rumrunner

Richard Kid

Post by Rumrunner »

I talked to Richard Kidd today and he is leaving also. He does work in the yard thats closing down

Capt Tom
Capt Tom
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

What a shame. Richard is a class act. Really nice guy. I hope he lands on his feet.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What some people don't realize is that we started this recession in the boat biz down here in the spring of 07.

That's when my calls for repowers dried up. The first sign is the big ticket items.

It is pretty much dead and stinkin down in Fla like a 10 day old corpse in the hot Florida sun.

To me the recession will be over when I start getting repower calls again or until my commander in chief tells me so. Oh wait he has, silly me. It must be just my business.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

Unfortunately, Florida looks like it is going to become a ghost state. However, the good news is, if our friends in Washington remain calm, the Stock market may stay stabile. It looks like it found the bottom but anything can cause this market to come apart.

If this market can hold its own for a couple of months, I think you will start to see the economy turn. It will turn slow but it will turn. I will say, the company I work for is a good indicator of the economy and right now its not looking good. But lets see what happens if the market holds.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I suspect the new administration has totally underestimated the power and importance of the stock market as a barometer of our financial health and creator of consumer confidence. When your Retirement fund or 401k goes up, you feel a bit wealthier. Natural phenomenon. They'd be better off giving every retirement fund and 401K $100,000 and it would be cheaper and get more results than what they've done so far.
They are also shocked as hell on the public's response to the AIG bonuses. They thought that would sneak by unnoticed as they knew all about them and even put in the loophole in the rush-rush-rush Stimulus package legislation. They couldn't stop them, but the public outcry certainly did. What a bunch of two-faced bastards! AIG donated Millions to Barney Frank's campaigns. NOW Barney is shaking his fist at them. Ha! These guys don't know which way is up...and they're our leaders?
Carl

Post by Carl »

One hand is clenched in a fist, the other is open looking for a handout. Don't under estimate the intelligence of our government in action, just question where their loyalty lies.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sim...

Loyalty? What is that in Wash?

Catch the news today.. Nancy Pelosi gave a speech in the past day or so to a bunch of aliens.. some legal, some not. She railed against our government's anti illegal alien policies (the few we actually enforce that is) and said they were PATRIOTS for wanting to be here. The Speaker of The House telling a bunch of illegal aliens they were US patriots! Telling lawbreakers they are patriots. What crap!

It makes me want to vomit! (On her!)
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Paging Doctor Matt!

I think that Ms. Pelosi needs a little help finding her head. She wrapped duct tape around one end, but still seems to be unable to retrieve it......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

IRGuy wrote:Sim...

Loyalty? What is that in Wash?
I do not question our civil servants are loyal, even the ones in Washington. What I question is what they are loyal to...my guess is more often not money, then money, then money followed by power, maybe themselves, possible their families then...somewhere down the list I would guess country and the public that gets them voted into office and us the citizens that pay their saleries.
Dave D.

Post by Dave D. »

guess i waited too long to buy a cockpit deck.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

Things will get better. The years 1979 to 1982 were very bad, infact worse than now. We had 11.5% unemployment, 17% mortgage rates, 21% prime rate and 13% inflation. How many of you remember getting 16% on your CD?
A friend of mine lost a nice apartment building in SE Florida, I don't remember the city.
Cheer up things could be worse and sure enough today I heard oil could go to $100 by June. I hope he is wrong.
God bless us all.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

To the Faithful,
I talked to Richard Kidd this afternoon, he is going to the Ft. Lauderdale office, he just found out this AM. They are closing all their service facilities, except the one in Stuart for now. At least they had enough sense to keep Richard, he's one of the few with years of experience and knows how our boats work and where to find parts.
I also heard that Riviera Yachts is shutting down the facility in Stuart and laying off all their service people.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I talked to a trucker friend of mine who said there are alot of boats being hauled from a yard in Miami to Texas.

He was saying if he had a low boy trailer he would be down there hauling some of them, that they were paying good money to move them to Texas.

Is that the Richard Bertram yard boats being moved?

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sim,
the intelligence of our government in action
I prefer government inaction.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Sorry Mike. I can't go looking for Nancy Pelosi's head, cause I think its likely up her ass, and if I saw that, I am sure I would go blind....

Matt
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Matt Holcomb wrote:Sorry Mike. I can't go looking for Nancy Pelosi's head, cause I think its likely up her ass, and if I saw that, I am sure I would go blind....

Matt
OMG, now that is funny!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mikey wrote:Sim, I prefer government inaction.
Unfortunate but true.