OT: NE Summer advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

OT: NE Summer advice

Post by Buju »

NE Faithful,
My wife, two kids, and I are leaving our little subtropical island this June and heading up New England way for a week of... whatever. So far the only thing in stone is that we're staying on the beach in Rye NH.
We want to go further up into Maine to "explore" the coast, and obviously would like to spend a day or two on the Cape. Maybe spend a day going inland, show the kids the Flume, Mt Washington, Old Man of the Mtn...etc. Other than that, not real sure of whats going on.
I'd love to get any and all suggestions or local knowledge of places to check out... lesser known beaches, great local restuarants, that type of thing. The extent of my knowledge is based on living in Hampton Beach for a short time in the early 80's- haven't been since.

Also, being that it's a family thing, I'm not counting on doing any serious angling... But I never travel without my crusty-trusty Orvis 5pc. 9wt flyrod and B.Pate reel. I have a feelin my angling opps are going to be limited to an hour or two here and there (most likely casting jetties near Rye) and would think it would be great to get into a little bluefish or striped bass action from shore... Am I dreaming, or is it possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Buju

My grandfather was born in NH. I have visited there several times with my uncle and also with another machine shop friend that was born and raised in NH.

Old Man of the Mountain is a pretty neat sight to see....but I think a few years ago the Old Man fell from the mountain or was in some way damaged. Mount Washington is certainly worth the time to visit....be sure to ride the Cog Railway to the top of the mountain.....the Cog Railway is an engineering feat in itself.

In Maine I have visited Penobscot Bay area and the town of Castine. I don't remember exactly where in Bay area......but there is a Wood Boat college that is also the home of the Wood Boat Magazine.

From there we went on North to Campabello Island........the most amazing tide fall I have ever seen......over 20' difference from high tide to low tide........lots of lobster boats and whale watching tours.

Back in New Hampshire......I suggest a visit to the Kittery Trading Post....somewhere around Portsmouth......you can google it......this place makes Bass Proshops look like a 5 & Dime store.

By the way.....if you go to the Mt Washington Summit be sure to take a jacket. On one of my trips it was in August, 75/80 degrees at the base....40/45 degrees at the top with a 30 MPH wind.....IN AUGUST!!!!

I could go on for a while about things we saw in the NE........great place to vacation!!!!

Harry
hb
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

NH, ME, the Cape...

That's a lot of driving for only one week.
Regards,

Doug L.
Buju

Post by Buju »

NH, ME, the Cape...
That's a lot of driving for only one week.
I know Doug. These are things we'd like to do... obviously gonna have to pick and choose. Whattya recomend?

Harry,
Thanks for the tips. Didn't expect it coming from a 'Bama boy...

Kittery Trading Post...I remember it well. My first gun (H&R .410 shotgun) came from there, as a Christmas present, when I was in 3rd grade... Will make sure to stop in there, as it's right up the road from Rye.

Have been up to Mt Washington's summit a few times... no joke about the weather up there... The Old Man of the Mtn finally fell apart huh?...
Penobscot sounds good. I've always loved wooden boats, and admired the labor and craftsmanship involved in their construction. (I'm planning on making a 12' cedar strip poling "canoe-skiff" for solo bonefishing this year)
the most amazing tide fall I have ever seen......over 20' difference
Yeah, big big tides. I remember going further north into Canada and the Bay of Fundy... if I'm not mistaken they experience over 100' of fluctuation between high and low tide??? I seem to remeber they've got hydroelectric plants that run off of the tide. Incredible volume of water.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Take some olive over white and olive over yellow Clouser Minnows with your 9 Wt. Spring Striped Bass fishing in the shallow (warmer) flats is good in June on the entire NE corridor. High sun makes some of it sight fishing but I would blind cast wherever you can find water. A few surface poppers for real glassy waters or surface feeding fish. Usually an hour anywhere will find you fish or not. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks Walter. I know you're a flyguy and was hoping you'd chime in.

I'll tie up a good selection of clousers this week(I catch alotta snook on the same flies here in the Keys). What about similarly colored deceivers?

I'm assuming my WFF bonefish taper is not the ticket...Should I be looking for a intermediate or a full sinking line? I do have a nice sci.anglers WFF 9wt. with a 15' clear sinking tip... could that do the trick?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I was talking to Jo Ann about your post and our trips to Maine......she told me to tell you to be sure to feast on anything with Blueberries.....especially the ice cream and cheese cake

Personally I like the thick Clam Chowder.

If you are in the Kittery Trading Post area go find a resturant called Newicks. The story is that this Newick guy was a Lobster fisherman and then started a sandwich shop on the dock near his boat and before long gave up fishing and went into the resturant business full time.....the last time I was there his establishment seated 450 people......and 2, 1-1/4 pound lobster dinner was $12.95 (8 years ago)

If you havn't figured it out yet......I LOVE the northeast rocky coast line and life style.

Harry
hb
In Memory Walter K

Biju-I tend to use an intermediate line in those shallow waters even if I use a popper or chugger as long as I don't let it sit too long. Your clear tip sounds fine. Deceivers always are a part of a NE arsenal. If you run into Bluefish they do a good job of destroying natural tying materials like bucktail and feathers. Keep a few made with synthetic fibers that will stand up better. A short section of heavier mono as a shock or a fly tied on the rear end of a long shanked hook helps if you run into an area where there are both Blues and Bass. Unless it's a real blitz, wire leaders seem to spook Bass. Blues don't seem to care.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

If you go up north along the coast, try to get to Nunan's Lobsterhut in Kennebunkport. Wow, I am crying right now thinking about how good the lobster there is.
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Which Cape? Ann or Cod. I can make suggestions for the latter.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

LL Bean is about 1 1/2 hours north of you, and they have a ton of other "outlets". KTP isn't what it used to be, still has quite selection on used guns, but the rest is clothes and the usual fisning stuff. It might be 1/2 from you. Better seafood places on Rt 1 in Rye, than newicks. Portland is about an hour from you and a lot nicer than Boston. Portsmouth is right there and a nice little trip. You could catch the ferry to the isle of shoals from portsmouth. Whale watching should be going on by then. Red Hook has a brewery right near portsmouth. There is a water park near you for the kids. an indoor bike park, don't know if they rent them.
If you want to pm what your looking to do, I can get some info down to you.

Tim
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Be sure to save time to visit Tim's boat. Take some pictures for us. I'm sure that you will enjoy a sneak preview of what we'll all see at the Summer get together.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Your a freakin riot Terry.......

Tried calling a couple of times, no answer
gplume

Post by gplume »

Buju-

When you get your itinerary nailed down, drop me an email. I lived in southern Main for a couple of years (early 80's), so have a wrorking knowledge of the area. Portland is nice in the old port area. For the kids, the white mountains as mentioned by you and Harry are good. (Harry you know a lot more than a lot of locals.) In the white mountains if you and your family are abit adventurous (athletic) the climb up Tuckermans Ravine to the top of Mt Washington is great..but be suret o know the weather before eyou attempt it. Lots of great lesser know climbes I can recomend if you are up to some hiking.

It will be hard to do Cape Cod and the white mountains southern main area in a week.

To me the best spot going is the outer part of Cape Cod. Welfleet and Truro are spectacular...(sometimes good surf also...but you need lots of wet suit.)

Perhaps you should take 2 weeks...

If you venture into RI...drop me a line, I can give you a tour of Narraganst Bay.
Giff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Buju

If you are near Portland Maine and need to enteryin the kids, shoot over to Old Orchard Beach. The hve rides for the little ones. A little honky tonk but for kids its fine.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Brings back a lot of good memories of my childhood up there. Grew up in Scituate Ma. My dad had a 26' Pacemaker Allglass and family of four spent week at a time doing Race Point/P-town or thru the canal to Oaksbluff and other neat places. Looking back not sure how family of 4 fit on that boat for a week at a time but it was a blast. When you are a kid going through Buzzards bay its fun. I am sure my dad thought otherwise especially rolling through Woods Hole with a single screw. I have a new respect for those places now that I am at the wheel.

My parents still own a home on Lake Kanasatka in central NH. As a kid I hiked Mt. Washington. The Flume as you mentioned was a blast too. Bretton Woods has a new canopy tour but I have not been there in a couple years. It's right next to Mt Washington and they have info on the website. Lake Winapasaukee is fun even though I can't spell it. Lots of woodies on that lake that are neat to watch go buy.

There are lots of good hikes around the lakes region if Mt washington is too much for the kids. Bald Peak is next to Castle in the Clouds/Castle Springs and has some pretty good terrain and verticle rise with a fantastic veiw. Red Hill is Just outside Center Harbor and peak is about 2100 feet. Only takes about 45 minutes to the top. Another great view of the lakes but not as challenging as Bald Peak.

Last summer I was up there in between jobs and we went to North Conway to ride the train. First time I had ever done that despite spending most of my childhood summers there. Got some funny pics but fairly low speed event.

We had a blast when we rented Kayaks in North Conway and hit the Saco River if I remember corectly. It was great having a cooler of beer in the kayak although its probably a violation of some sort. That was one of the first times I had ever used a kayak other than when the hurricanes come through here. thats another story though.

Call me if you need any specifics

786 525 5311
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You could catch the ferry to the isle of shoals from portsmouth.
My family came into this country thru the Isle of Shoals.....I will have to verify with my uncle.....but I believe in the early 1700's.

They settled in Barrington New Hampshire.

Harry
hb
Buju

Post by Buju »

Wow... A big thanks to everyone. Thats some good info.

Timmy,
I knew there was a reason we kept you around this site.j/k... Thanks for all the detailed info. I'm sure I'll be sending you a pm at some point.

Giff,
Yep the outer part of the Cape is what I was interested in for the most part... Truro, Welfleet, perhaps up to Provincetown. How long of a drive is it from roughly Boston to P.Town? My biggest problem will be that I'll wanna stop everywhere to check everything out. Gotta get a good set of blinders like a Clydesdale....
Anyone have any reccomendations for beach lodging on Cape Cod? We've got two days to spend after we check out of the place in Rye. More apt to stay at a beach-shack than a 4star hotel...

I've been doing some looking around on Google Earth (If anyone is not familiar with it, take a minute to download it... what an incredible application) and gettin all fired up. Aren't there a couple of places off of Cape Cod where there are areas with brilliant white sand flats (almost looks like Bahamian flats) good for wade fishing bass? Some of the topography on the bayside of the Cape is incredible, I'd say from Brewster on up to Great Island??... I guess it's mostly sand being moved around by surge patterns and tides.

Kevin,
Sounds like good memories. I did my first scuba diving in Lake Winnepesaukee (don't think I can spell it either), and remember catching some landlocked salmon and big smallmouth bass in there as well. Pretty area...My daughter won't quite be 2 by the time we go, so we'll probably shy away from any real hiking.
I'll probably call you at some point to pick your brain (we need to get out fishing here in the Keys as well...)

Harry & Jo Ann,
Copy that on the blueberries... and the chowdah... and the lobstah. I think I unintentionally lit a flame under your butt, and you two need to take some time off and get back up there...

Jspiezo & Tony,
If we make it up to Portland and/or Kennebunkport, will keep an eye out for OOB, and Nunans.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

buju
get your reservations in as early as possible, these places fill up fast
capy

Post by capy »

Buju,

Timmy makes some great points.

From my experience in this area, May-June is the absolute worst months for any forays into northern, Maine or NH. The black flies are intolerable in that month and any place with a sparse population or lots of woods, the folks walk around with long pants long shirts, gloves, a hat and facial netting with a healthy dose of fly dope to keep from having their blood drained by black flies, google black fies, maine NH, to see what I mean.

Maine is pretty much fog bound until about mid to late july. If you are coming in June you would be better off at Cape Cod as the water from cape ann north usually is between 55-61 in June. On the cape it warms up a lot faster. The striper fishing is pretty good in June. Last year stripers were offshore though.... unlike in years past they were around the rivers, bays and close to shore(lack of bait??)

The area of the cape you note is the best part - less commercial and more like the way cape was back in the 50's and 60's. Boston to Ptwon by car is 2.5 hours easy and could be 3-4 if traffic is really bad(friday afternoon-night) There is ferry from boston to Ptown but then you don't have a car.
Some times June can be sunny and sometimes foggy, the cape in june can be a crap shoot. The lodging options in that neck of the woods are very pricey, especially during June July and August. I have stayed at a bunch of places in Truro, Wellfleet, Orleans, Chatam but never for more than a few nights as it is just too expensive. A weekly rental may be a more economical choice if you give up the rye NH part of your trip. A good thing about the cape is you can alternate between the bay side and the ocean side in the same day if you want. When I was a kid we would be on the bay side for the out going tide(crabs fish and all kinds of beach combing) then go to the Ocean side in the afternoon for body surfing on the incoming tide(huge waves). Ptown has great places to eat, but the "lifestyle" is very flamboyant in the town, on the beach and in the dunes, and not the best for young kids.

Back to north of Boston

Green head flies are unbearable along the North shore coast from the last week of June until the 2nd or 3rd week of July making beach days more challenging. Full sun and high temps will make it hard for them buggers to stay on the sand though, so if you get a day in the high 80's low 90's with no clouds or fog, that is a good day to build sand castles, collect shells, and dig steamers on the beaches north of boston. Usually by the 2nd week of june the wife wants to go to the beach before the green heads show up we go to 2 beaches by bertram....cranes and wingarsheek. Great trips with little kids, 8 Nmi just enough to for a boat ride but not too long to fatigue or bore them. If the conditons are less than perfect, then fishing off the beach on the boat, or a day at one of the numerous ponds and lakes away from the coast is a better bet.

As for the white mountains, Once the black flies die off any time in July and August is great. So many river swimming holes and gorges to explore, Great Camping , there is also Storyland and Santa's village.... ages 2-13 will think are great. When We go up there ,if not camping, we do a river swimming hole or gorge one day then something commercial the next, alpine slide, storyland, waterpark, etc....

If I were you, I would try to find one area out of the 3 and concentrate on that and schedule the time to avoid any pests. Then next year try the other area and so on.

If you really want to try and pack in 2 locales within a week, shoot for late august as that really is the best time for any of them.

Just my 2 cents.
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Yep a couple of years ago the old man fell and is now completly gone.

http://www.twinmountain.com/oldman.php

I guess New Hampshire needs a symbol
Scott Traenkle
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Buju wrote:I think I unintentionally lit a flame under your butt, and you two need to take some time off and get back up there...
Roger that Buju!!!!

I have to say that my trips to New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Campobella Island and all of the small areas inbetween has to be the most enjoyable vacations I have had since my children left the nest.

The scenery is awsome ! ! ! !

As I remember Lake Winapasaukee is one of 3 lakes in a chain.....take that drive along the lakes REALLY SLOW.....take it all in. There are a couple of sunk steamers that are available for scube diving.

Some where really near the Wood Boat College (within about 10 miles) we found a boat yard that was restoring a really old wood luxury yacht. The entire bottom was being replace as well as the ribs and stringers below the waterline. I stuck my head in the door and was immediately welcomed by one of the workers. He introduced me to his foreman who gave me the entire tour of his plant. They had thick huge slabs of Purple Heart wood that would be used for ribs and such. I'll bet we stayed there for 2 hours........

In my travels there it seems to me that from Bar Harbor south is a tourist area......Bar Harbor north gets more laid back......and the people are more personable.

I don't remember bugs being a problem at all but........I have always been there in August.....

Will be back later.........

Harry
hb
CMP

Post by CMP »

Buju, PLEASE be sure to call me. I live 10 mis from Rye and I'll be keeping the little boat up here so we can hit Great Bay and the Piscat if you have time. Also, if yer on the Cape, the B25 is is Harwichport. I can steer you in the right direction re; restaurants, sights, etc. As others have said, if you can make the trip later, do it-weather is too sketchy in June. Lemme know...

Mark
Dug

Post by Dug »

Buju,

I have been a bit quiet, as my expertise in the area really does not focus where you are thinking of going. I will say that the advice you are getting is very solid.

If you find yourself south of Cape Cod, the Mystic, CT area is also wonderful. RI has incredible beaches, and the water is warmer than north of the cape. Watch Hill and Block Island have spectacular striper fishing, as do the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.

As with my trip to the keys last year, you may be a bit far away from where I usually am, but the boat is in at that time, and if you head that way, give me a ring!!!

Dug
John F.

Post by John F. »

Buju-

Wife and I did a little swing up through the NE last summer. Spent a night in Newport, RI, night in Boston, night in Kennebunkport, and we've been to Block Island for a night. Block is nice--nice public beach for the kids as I remember, and you can rent bikes and ride around the island. Steve Miller that posts here now and then lives there. He sold his 31, but bought another boat with the idea of doing charters. Look him up--nice guy. Newport didn't do it for me. Boston is great--we walked the Freedom Trail, went down by the Public Gardens, and went to Fenway. The kids did a Boston ducks (WWII amphibious craft) tour. I'd never been to Maine, and Kennebunkport was really nice--again nice beaches, nice town, and at about 5 pm everybody seems to take their dogs to the beach--pretty cool. We we're going to go up to Acadia, but the Maine coast isn't an easy drive, so we saved it for next trip.

A few years ago, my wife an I tried to go out to the Cape (left the kids at my sisters in Boston). We missed a turn and wound up in Woods Hole. A few Bloodies, then lunch, then drinks, then....well we just got a room and stayed there. As I remember, nice little town.

I grew up in NY, and live in MD, so this is just a tourist's perspective. Have fun.

John
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks again to everyone who's chimed in here...
The wealth of firsthand knowledge, and the generousity of this group is just incredible.

Paul (Capy),
Great info about the biting flies. THAT is something that'd be damn near impossible to find out about via websites or "tour books", unless you looked specificly for it... And something that could really screw up a whole trip if conditions were bad enough.
I don't have the exact dates on me, but I beleive it'll be mid-June.
I'm thinking that we'll probably stay near the coast, and forget the whole inland/mtn. scene on this trip... especially if the blackflies are around in #'s.
Are you saying that the greenhead flies could also be a problem during our brief visit, or maybe we'll be early for them?
We are from the Keys and are no stranger to biting insects by any means... but my little girl, not so much... allthough she's tough as nails.

Thanks for the heads up on the "flambouancy" around Ptown. I'm assuming you mean "alternative lifestyles" and whatnot... Kinda like the northern version of Key West?
We'd like to spend the last two days on the Cape, and I figured lodging would be pricey... What about staying on the western portion of the Cape (Sandwich, Barnstable, Dennis,etc) and making excursions further out... is it more affordable around there?
We've already paid for our place in Rye... and am looking forward to seeing some of my childhood memories on the NH coast again. So we're locked in for Rye.

Mark (CMP)
You're the man... I'd be thrilled to meet up and do anything you're up for. Fishing from skiff in the bay, or have a few beers, or both at the same time...or whatever.
Definatley gonna have to reciprocate when you're down here again. I'm no flats guide, but I sure catch my share of bones, tarpon, permit, reds, and snook... do alot of freediving/spearfishing/lobstering as well... Again, sorry I missed you last time at Bud & Mary's... next time... have you and your daughter done the Key West trip yet???
I'll be PM'ing and/or callling you up as we get a better picture of our plans and get closer to June.

Dug,
Don't think we'll make it down that way...
Same goes for you and Liz next time your in the Keys... lemme know and I'll get you guys out to some "secret reefs" that are healthy and away from the "cattleboat snorkeling tours" that go to the same old places...

Thanks again to everyone..
In Memory Walter K

Buju-All those bay/flats/shallow water areas are wonderful for fly fishing. Clousers and surface lures any time of the day. I just personally love the few hours before dusk. Throw a pair of waders in the car in case it feels cool otherwise a pair of booties or tennis shoes will be fine. If you like a good cigar, it's the perfect time to smoke one...keeps the sunset misquitoes away. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

Throw a pair of waders in the car in case it feels cool
HaHa....Yep, I have a feeling the water temp is going to be a shock to me. Took my daughter on a short bike ride this morning to the "far beach" at Pennekamp S.P. to do a little swimming...Brrrrrrrrrrrrr it was cold (to me). Then we had a bunch of tourists show up, and ask if the water was cold. I said "depends where you're from" they were from Ontario so I said "no, you'll be fine, it's in the low 70's or hi 60's." They looked at me like I was a big ol wuss... Acclimation is a funny thing.
What kinda water temps should I be expecting up there? I understand it'll be much colder up by Rye as opposed to the Cape... right?
If you like a good cigar, it's the perfect time to smoke one.
Great advice... which I will follow. Doesn't get much better than double haulin at dusk, while puffing on a good Padron la anniversarie.
Walter, if you ever find yourself down this way, I'd be honored to get you out on my skiff to give the fish hell....
In Memory Walter K

A friend of mine from Montauk runs fly fishing charters out of Key Largo in the winter months (at least he used to). His name is Paul Dixon. Very nice guy, very good fly fisherman. I certainly will take you up on your offer if I ever find myself coming down your way. Many thanks. Have a great trip. Walter
gplume

Post by gplume »

Buju-

Been on radio silence preparing a presentation for work (today- done- amen). Chilling out a little tonight. Read through the replies. See you are planning to go to the cape. Capy iis righ on on the time to drive.....depends on the traffic.

The cape in June is abit of hit or miss. Thier season is kind of in half way mode from memorial day until July 4th, and then full tilt booge all summer. The whole issue early for weather has a lot to do with water temp. The cape can be the coldest water in NE beleive it or not. I have been their in July where the water was so cold surfing your arms stung to put them in the water. This happen after a storm when upwelling occurs. keep in mind, the guf stream heads out by Nanticket, and the outer cap gts non of that warming effect. Expect water to be in the mid to high 50's and perhaps the low 60's at best.

Ok ,,,don't let this scare you. Even when the weather is foggy, the place is pretty cool. The dunes are like being on the back side of the moon. 4 wheeling through them is a big rush.

When I stayed on the cap the most, I was on very low budget. I camped at head of the Meadow in Turo and Paines in Wellfleet. I real think you can find family type hotels on the outer side in June at a reasonable price, you just need to scour the internet. To me staying on the outer cape is what you want to do, becase the ride back in forth is not the greatest if there is traffic.

Regarding the black flies, green heads ect. Just bring some good bug juice. Been down in your neck of the woods where they were eout in force, so I am sur eyou know how to deal with them.

Oh yea..P-Town. Yes, a northern version of Key West. Really not to bad during the day. My son and his buddies used to come on our camping trips, and they were never exposed to anything too radical. Night can be another story.

You know like any trip...its all what you make of it. Go with the flow, and you can have fun anywhere. You can't go wrong with either spot you've picked...just be prepared for the potential of bad weather and you will be fine.

If you end up flying out of Providence in stread of Boston..call me. I keep my boat about 5 minutes from the airport, and live about 20 minutes away.

Feel free to stay in touch,

Giff
Giff
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks again Giff... Good info once again.
This a.m. I've been researching places to stay around Truro & Wellfleet, and they don't seem too bad ($) at all. Looks like we'll be in the $100 p/night range for basic lodging... which is waaaaay less than I expected and very do-able.
We love to camp (gonna be heading out to Elliot Key in a few weeks for 4 or 5 days, alotta fun) and camping on the Cape would be great, but decided it's just too much gear to haul around on the plane/airport etc.

Flying in and out of Boston... otherwise I'd be all over your offer.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Looking forward to it, B. If you end up in Wellfleet/Truro, our place is only 15 mins away. Gimme a call as you get closer to the date and we'll make a plan. Jillian and I already made our trip to EYW a couple weeks ago. It blew 30 pretty much every day, so not much fishing, but had a great dad/daughter bonding trip-well worth it with the 14 yr old. The Admiral and I will be down again 25 April-2 May...

CMP
gplume

Post by gplume »

Buju-

Speaking of camping....had many great trips down to Big Pine Key and Bahia Honda.

Kepp in touch if you need anything. Looks like you are in good hands with CMP, but if you head to RI, let me know, be glad to give you a local tour of Narraganset Bay.
Giff
Buju

Post by Buju »

The Admiral and I will be down again 25 April-2 May...
Great! I bet you guys have got already got dates reserved with Capt. Brian & Alex... but if you wanna get out on my skiff, you know I'd be more than willing. Even if you get your share of serious angling with them, and just wanna go out snorkeling or plant your ass in the sand and eat fresh conch salad while drinking Kalik's... I'm your guy, gotcha covered.
had many great trips down to Big Pine Key and Bahia Honda.
Yeah Giff, I'm very partial to Bahia Honda... it's a good place to spend ones time. Very cool to launch there, and take the skiff out to some of the little "micro-keys" around the area, and spend the day.
Anytime any of you guys are down, feel free to call me up, and I'll do my best to provide a great time...

Mark "buju"
305-619-0956
CMP

Post by CMP »

I wish we were up your way, but we're in Key West again. Will fishing John Smouse again as well as a friend of mine who recently bought a place there. I sure could go for a Lazy Days conch app, tho...

CMP
Capn' Tony

Thanks for the heads up on the "flambouancy" aroun

Post by Capn' Tony »

Buju,
I have a place across from Craigville Beach in Centerville next town down from Hyannisport. If you know your dates and it is vacant I'd be happy to let you have it cheap. I have friends coming 6/12-6/14 1 unit & 6/18-6/22 both units at this time. They are 2 side by side 1 bedroom units over looking the Nantucket Sound.
Thanks
Capn' Tony
capy

Post by capy »

Buju,

No green heads if you coming mid june they usually show up the last week and disappear by the 3rd week of july. Some years are worse than others.

Capt Tony has a great place centerville is a great location.

If things slow down at work, I can play hooky and take you all out on my boat as well, from Newburyport out the merrimack, just let me know.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Mark (CMP) ... down in KW again huh? Allright man, your loss... If you feel like shooting up to the "real" Keys for a day, lemme know... I gave the Bones hell today.
Anyways, lookin forward to hooking up in your neck of the woods in June.
I sure could go for a Lazy Days conch app, tho...
Chef Lupe aint got nothing on my conch dishes... especially my cracked conch w/ frangelica creme sauce. But thats all fancyfancy-hoitytoity... hard to beat good honest conch salad on the boat with a dangerously cold Kalik.

Cap.Tony... a sincere thanks for the offer. But it looks like we're gonna be shacking up near the drive-in theater in Wellfleet... I was wrong on the time frame, gonna be in Rye from 6/22 til 6/27 and on the Cape the 27th and 28th...

Paul (Capy)... could run into the greenheads after all given our dates. If they're there, then they're there... worse stuff has happened. I'd sure love to get a look at the boat...we'll see what happens. Have admired the pics of her for a long time now. How thick is that glass b.head?
capy

Post by capy »

Buju wrote:Mark (CMP) ... down in KW again huh? Allright man, your loss... If you feel like shooting up to the "real" Keys for a day, lemme know... I gave the Bones hell today.
Anyways, lookin forward to hooking up in your neck of the woods in June. Chef Lupe aint got nothing on my conch dishes... especially my cracked conch w/ frangelica creme sauce. But thats all fancyfancy-hoitytoity... hard to beat good honest conch salad on the boat with a dangerously cold Kalik.

Cap.Tony... a sincere thanks for the offer. But it looks like we're gonna be shacking up near the drive-in theater in Wellfleet... I was wrong on the time frame, gonna be in Rye from 6/22 til 6/27 and on the Cape the 27th and 28th...

Paul (Capy)... could run into the greenheads after all given our dates. If they're there, then they're there... worse stuff has happened. I'd sure love to get a look at the boat...we'll see what happens. Have admired the pics of her for a long time now. How thick is that glass b.head?
Yeah, they start slow then hit a peak, then die off slow...the green heads.

1/4 inch safety glass. I think they were 70 bucks apiece, but timmy replaced one for scotch.....
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That bulkhead is so cool. I have to admit lusting after that set up.