some of the "dust free" sanders we have been using

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

some of the "dust free" sanders we have been using

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I thought I would share with you guys a tool that we have grown to love. We switched over to these sanders last year, but only until recently did we start using them with vacuums instead of the bags.

They are great, you can pretty much sand without a face mask- but I would not suggest it of course. No more clouds of dust, when sanding decks no more fogs and having the air of the machine throwing the dust up.

Last winter we were sanding inside the building, it was about 25 degrees out, sanding the non-skid off a deck generates alot of light, fine dust. The same day the fire marshall comes in and gives me a ass chewing over the dust, we try to keep the shop as clean as we can, mopping, vacuuming- but you cant clean and sand at the same time.

So I had the 3M rep lend me some sanders, we loved them so I bought 3 of the 3M. They were very reasonably priced for a quality tool.
The 3M come with disposable bags- honestly they are a hassle. I ended up buying short hoses from Dynabrade at a cost of $90 each, so my $200 sanders cost me $300.

At a local marine supply show Mirka was there, and low and behold they sell the SAME sander, except instead of red, thier's is yellow. BUT thiers comes much better packaged as it already comes with the short hoses! I ended buying a small jitterbug sander from them, comes in VERY handy when im repairing corian countertops and very handy for sanding along gunwales and other areas a DA wont fit.

Recently I also purchased the Mirka hand sanding blocks, I bought 3 sizes, hand block size, 3/4 long board, and full long board.

I intially tried 3M sandpaper, and it was good, but not great, we have been using Mirka Abralon paper, it costs more per box then other papers, but I can honestly say we use 30-40% less paper because it lasts so long. The mirka guy told me the biggest difference between thier paper and 3M clean sanding paper was that the mirka paper had grit all around the fibers- and I believe it because the paper lasts a LONG time.

The key to the newer systems are the backup pads, old systems had 6 large holes, the new pads have many, many more, and the paper is like a screen, so you dont have to sit there and line the holes up anymore. They also sell pad protectors- which are great because they save your hook and loop pads from wearing out, you replace a $5 pad protector instead of a $25+ pad.

Lastly- run your sander off a shop vac of your choice- dont use those small 2 gallon vacs for any large jobs- but they will do fine for VERY small jobs. Even though you dont suck up THAT much dust, those small vacuums dont like to keep up with the sanders.

These are the only pictures I could find, but you get the idea.
They sell alot of other sanders, but these are the sanders we have been using. They have done thier job keeping the shop clean and the operator of the sander happy because he is not wearing the dust, and for someone running a shop you look alot more professional and you eliminate alot of that fine dust that happens to find its way everywhere. And BTW- the DA sanders are sold in 3 different patterns, for rough work to fine sanding- buy the middle one for a good all around sander.

Raybo Marine NY

not really sure why the sander pictures did not come up, let me see if I can find different ones.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks...interesting. i have a box type dust collector and put a small fan blowing across the work toward it. very effective at removing the really fine particles while the larger ones fall to the floor. i really should get one of those. of course i usually do the heavy sanding outside. (still use the fan if the wind's not blowing)
Raybo Marine NY

randall- outside nothing beats a fan and mother nature, but for some of you guys who might do this at home or you might be sanding at a marina on a saturday afternoon with other boats and boaters around these sanders are the ticket. You can also use the bags if you dont want to use vacuums, the mirka bags are cloth bags that take what look like upright vacuum cleaner bags inside.

the 3M bags tend to break at the flange once they get some weight in them, when I had mentioned this to 3M they claimed they were changing the flanges- dont know if they did that yet. I find the 3M bags better for smaller projects because sanding a hull or deck fills those suckers up way too quick.

I see the pictures came up, but let me put them in again just incase

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We used a Dynabrade pneumatic wet sander on the hull and superstructure. No dust, lots of rinsing but maybe an alternative. It does require a constant rinse to remove the residue.

Bad news is like most air sanders it eats allot of CFM's and everything is wet.

Good news the paper lasted forever with the fresh water rinse
The sander was predictable with 220 grit and allowed an almost polished "feel" when final sanding with the 320 grit was finished before final coat.
Keep in mind we did allot of roll and tip so minimum 3 coats on most of the product was needed. Lots and lots of finicky sanding.......for those that haven't played 545 isn't an easy sand out with brush or roller compared to spray. However the reality is brush and roll are a necessity in a crowded "open air" boat yard.

The wet sander kept the dust off of everyone else's boats and chewed like crazy. FYI
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

the draw back of a water sander is when its cold out, we have one water jitter bug sander, you need a rain coat and boots to work with it, not too mention its like a chinese torture with the water dripping on you.

does make for clean sanding- as long as you clean the run-off right away, that run off sure can turn to concrete cant it?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Yeah lots of rinsing and wiping.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CMP

Post by CMP »

I did the B25 fairing with Abranet products and it saved me a ton of time and dust. It's not perfect, but as close as I've come to it...

CMP
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have the porter cable set up. It makes a huge difference. My marina won't let you sand without a dustless set up now. I was at one in RI that rents the Fein set ups, of course mine wouldn't think of doing that...

The PC works well. I like the many holes approach however! That is nice!

Thanks for the info!

Dug
Raybo Marine NY

the bags work well, but hook them up to a vacuum and they will take away at least 95% of the dust, even more.

we masked a boat off with plastic and sanded all the old non-skid off, there was not a stitch of dust on the plastic, and plastic has alot of static so it grabs even the smallest dust particle from the air.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a Dynabrade with the six hole pad. It looks just like that 3M. I may have to upgrade my pad! I bought a Porter Cable hose to hook mine to the shopvac. I think I got it from Amazon. nice hose though!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

the smaller air hose is a good item as well with the sanders.

when you hook them up to a vacuum, all you have to do is shove one hose into the other, when you turn the vacuum on it will keep the hoses together and take the dust- no need for fancy attachments

we have 5 dynabrade sanders, I love them.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I don't use anything. Just keep sanding. And so far it ain't bad.
A/K/A El Gaupo