Smart Rails...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CMP

Smart Rails...

Post by CMP »

Anyone here ever installed them on a B25 or a B31? Curious about their performance, ease of install, positives/negatives...

CMP
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Put them on a Glass Works Chincoteague we ran around the bay in. Worked great until the boat sank.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mark,

They do a pretty good job of reducing spray on the B31, and I'd guess that they work as good on a B25. Installation is pretty simple and if installed correctly are close to permanent and indestructible. You do need to carry them back past amidships, but not necessarily full length of the chine. About 2/3 back from the bow would probably be fine.

Of the two extrusion designs, the only one that comes close to fitting the Hunt chine still needs a bit of modification in my opinion.

I experimented with the installation on the B31 chine and found that by cutting a notch in the rails it allowed the rail to more easily conform to the chine.

Cosmetically, they're butt ugly...

Br,

Patrick
Harv

Post by Harv »

I think John Cranston installed these full length on his 31 Bahia Bar.
Harv
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The only complaint I've heard is that they must be protected from being crushed by the lift straps when the boat's being hauled. Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

walterk wrote:The only complaint I've heard is that they must be protected from being crushed by the lift straps when the boat's being hauled. Walter
Actually, because the Smart Rails are made from a plyable PVC compound, they're not as suseptable to lift damage as hard spray rails. They still do need chine blocks on the slings, but any competent boat yard is already familiar with the proceedure.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Not sold on them, but am considering putting them on a flats boat I'm building and got to thinking...

CMP
Buju

Post by Buju »

How'd your Keys trip go Mark? I wanted to hook up w/ you but was busy with a job, and the kids...
Brian & Alex put you on the fish?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

CMP wrote:Not sold on them, but am considering putting them on a flats boat I'm building and got to thinking...

CMP
They will work great on the flats boat. It changed that Chincoteague from a mobile saltwater shower to a pleasure to run.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If they lap water when poling or cause surface sounds from motion on the boat, the noise can spook skittish fish. Walter
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Might know someone that has a set lying around, in a building in Newton.
You around sun?
CMP

Post by CMP »

Tim, yep-I will be around, call me.

Buju, it was a great trip. Inshore was hard work but Alex proved once again he is the MAN at Bud's and we crushed the sails. All in all a great stress-reliever. Next year, I'll have at least one boat down there...

CMP
keysdisease

Taco Spray Rails

Post by keysdisease »

You may want to look at these, scroll to bottom.

http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Rigid-Ru ... solid.html

Steve
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

CMP,

Had them for several years and no issues except the one side cracked-out near the end of the run after being on since 2003. I have full set plus another half set which comes back about 15 ft. total per side. If I were buying a 31 again it is one of the first things I would add after Capt. Pats rudders. One thing I don't like, other than the looks, is in real heavy seas they don't do much since the waves are hitting the sides above the rails. I might add a second set this spring just below the rub rail and see if these cut even more spray.

Dan
CMP

Post by CMP »

Dan,

Great input, do you have pics? Thanks...

CMP
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

CMP,

Sorry, but no pics on the boat. The set that have been on for years are down along the chine and not super noticeable. However, the second set I am considering adding would be the series that attaches to the flat hull side and would be much more visible. A good friend of mine in OC has been installing these for several years and has actually painted many sets with Awlgrip and had good results just as long as your not banging them into docks which should only be an issue for me at our fuel docks and if I only extend them 10' back on each side, they sould be far enough forward not to be hitting anything. Jimmy gave ma a small section which I will tape in place just to see how ugly it really looks.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
CaptMarkB

Post by CaptMarkB »

Installed on my 31 CABO in 1998, reduced spray substancially, no problems for 4 years and 750 hrs. of northeast canyon fishing until I sold the boat. Boat hauled every winter with no problems. Highly recommended, installation a breeze. Also being pvc, very receptive to paint.

Mark