Check out this boat, it's was just built.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

is it still snowing out?
randall

Post by randall »

it is....and bob...i have a kevlar canoe.......its a manly canoe...goes in the ocean regularly.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall do you think the canoe was made of kevlar because you guys nomally hit rocks and things that don`t move ? i rest my case!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

i think it was lightness....but this canoe has been tumbled by waves.. hit rocks and was T-boned by a 25 foot sailboat.....nary a scratch....OK thats not true...it has a lot of scratches....but its 25 years old.
Raybo Marine NY

Jeez Bob, why dont you call Skater Monday and ask them what they use for core, or better yet just check thier website! If you want I will give you Peter's phone number so you can have him give you his take on balsa.

Millions of death trap boats out there with balsa core- ohhh the agony of it all! I hope our new prez can truly change things for us all!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

skater cat absolutly positively uses kevlar hand layup on the 24' and 28' i cannot speak for the 32'
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

now we must be getting on other's nerves, lol

they use BALSA core , they also have not made a 24 in like 10 years, I talk to them every other month or so, trust me on this one, have cut into quite a few of them. They even use it on thier transoms and bulkheads.

They also do not use kevlar on all thier boats, you dont have to believe me though, check thier website under the "models" then if you want we can talk to Peter on the phone when you bring me your piece of decking- hehe.

I may not know where to get a piece of surplus titanium from a retired fighter jet but this much I do know.
captbone

Post by captbone »

There is nothing wrong with balsa coring.

A boat that fails with a balsa core can fail for a number of reasons but the balsa core is not the reason for a failure. It is always an out lying factor such as poor manufacturing or water intrusion.

Skaters do have balsa coring and so do many race boat going over 150mph.

There is nothing wrong with balsa when done right.

Here is 8 great pages from very bright people on core/balsa.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/s ... ght=skater
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Starting not to care anymore...................... Oh there it is yeah don't care anymore
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Carl

Post by Carl »

JP Dalik wrote:Starting not to care anymore...................... Oh there it is yeah don't care anymore

LOL
Carl

Re: Check out this boat, it's was just built.

Post by Carl »

Hmm, just went back in time for a good read. I never heard more about the Nassau 3204, I guess time has told.

https://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.p ... 134#p32134
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

They were built by an outfit called Brightside Marine. I tried searching for them and it looks like 2011 was the last time they had anything written about them.

Looks like they are long gone.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Oct 3rd, '23, 21:15 Looks like they are long gone.

Reading through the old post that seemed to be the general consensus the group saw the new boat line going. It was a nice looking boat with lots of tech in the build. The downside was it cost more than rebuilding a time-tested original. anyway...a good read bringing back some memories.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I would have thought they would have at least stuck around and sold parts from all the molds they built.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Oct 5th, '23, 11:55 I would have thought they would have at least stuck around and sold parts from all the molds they built.
Sell parts to who? I think they copied the 31, but not thinking the parts would be interchangeable. Than again...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I was think decks, cabin pieces, flybridge. Not sure how close everything is. I just assumed they made a mold from a 31 hull.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes, I guess they could have done that. I was thinking if I was doing, it would have been more of a retro then a replica.

I wonder if they ever sold any…
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

They actually billed the boat as 32 feet so it may have been a hair longer. I believe the beam was the same. So decks may not have been interchangeable between the Nassau and the 31.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think the yard measured my boat to 31'-6", round that to 32'. That said builders can label their boat anyway they like, the numbers need not coincide with the length. That would be just too easy, lol.

I guess if a blatant exact copy, doing it the way Peter said makes sense. Use an old part for the mold. So maybe a little tweaking, but close to the same...even if close I think aftermarket items for the 31, like Cabrara parts need a good amount of tweaking to fit. My thought would have been to take the best of the 31 while modifying some of what they lack...like bow flare, storage, bridge room etc. Whatever, beating a dead horse as it seems the endeavor had a short time life.

How are the new Bertram 35's doing? I haven't heard much since they rolled them out a couple of years ago. For me its a case of sticker shock, but they looked like they took the best and added what the 31 lacked. I look at the sticker and say no way, but I also pass some strange boats at SI Yacht Sales that seem to be selling. Ugly European designed monstrocities with reverse bow rake, small hard top on a 40' boat...beats me but they seem to be selling. Then of course the 50' "Center Console" with 5 outboards...one of those has been in the hanger with all the lower units removed for weeks...
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: Oct 9th, '23, 06:09
I look at the sticker and say no way, but I also pass some strange boats at SI Yacht Sales that seem to be selling. Ugly European designed monstrocities with reverse bow rake, small hard top on a 40' boat...beats me but they seem to be selling. Then of course the 50' "Center Console" with 5 outboards...
Carl, its not our world anymore.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

Doug, I’m not sure when it was my world.

….or if it ever was.

I have seen a bunch of the funky new boats go by over the past year or two. Interesting in the way it runs n looks. Not for me, but so far in life that means I’ll wind up with one. Anyway I put myself off track…

Seen the new European style come in n get sold, saw the BIG CC come in n get sold, seen them being worked on, have yet to see one large CC go past me out on the water. Maybe timing is wrong.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Amberjack wrote: Oct 9th, '23, 13:42 Carl, its not our world anymore.
It stopped being our world when we started more for a car than my parents paid for their house. But then again look at the price of houses.

Carl

Not sure how the 35 is selling but they are still pushing it so I assume it is moving enough to keep it. But with the big move to outboards, it might just have been outdated before it was even built.

There was a time when a guy who runs offshore did not want any part of outboards. They always wanted a clean transom to fight a big fish. Today it doesn't seem to matter since they will fight the fish from the bow.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315