Chimera update

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Chimera update

Post by JP Dalik »

Well with the 4th being behind us at this point I thought I'd give an update on our project to date.
This weekend was huge, After painting the hull bootstripe and bottom the boat was splashed June 14th. I limped her back to her home without engine boxes or topside paint for that matter. Even had to have the bridge opened by a friend with a VHF in his truck!! (real smart stuff)
After making the putt, putt trip of 1/4 mile back to the lagoon and then making sure the battery's were charged I let her sit while I traveled for another week. While I was away my partner finished up the body work on the toe rail (read as rebuilt) When the weather finally broke the toe rail was sprayed with high build sanded and sprayed with 545 and then the whole boat was prepped to paint.
Because the half tower and riggers were in place the flybridge was rolled and tipped. The next day we taped off the bridge and hull and sprayed the house and the rest of the boat. This was a bit of a tight rope walk with the boat being in the water and all. How did it come out? not to bad considering it was 98 degrees in the shade and blowing 20 kts. Its a good base anyway and we'll sand and repaint the whole thing next year when the pit and transom work is completed. On July 3 we rolled the non-skid and on the 4th put the bow hardware back on set the cockpit panels hung the VHF antennas and began the rest of the work.
This week is new batteries 2-4D and 1-group 31, mount the radar pod, wire the secondary sytems.
Week after next its time to go fishing, worry about the interior later. Not a bad amount of work for 10 months of ownership. If anyones around Pt. Pleasant NJ and wants to take a look I can meet you or give you directions by boat. I gotta say these are about the prettiest boats in the water.

KR
JP
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

wow-you sprayed awlgrip while she was in the water ?
You guys are good !