C.G. documentation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

C.G. documentation

Post by JohnCranston »

Sirs,
I'm needing help with getting Reel Cowboy documented. My wife doesn't have the time or the patience...losing interest, I guess. I'm more than willing to pay someone for help on this matter...please! Brian Barragy thought that the C.G. was able to issue a new certificate of some sort, if an old vessel was refurbished to a certain extent. I'm having a hard time finding insurance on a boat so old...my ins. co. dropped me after 4 days during the hurricane. Any help would be welcome.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Was the boat documented when you bought it? If so shouldn't be to hard.

There's a gal here in San Diego that specializes in that if it helps.

I could get her info if you want.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Jim,
She had Tx #'s from the previous owner, but I'm pretty sure that she was once documented. If you could find her # that would be great. Thank you very much.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Jim
1975 28 FBC
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Jim,
Thanks again. I'll call her in the morning.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I used this site when documenting CHIMERA

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/

Instructions were straight forward.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CMP

Post by CMP »

According to my surveyor, there is VERY little benefit to documenting a boat these days. Most states force you to pay registration fees as opposed to years ago wherein you could docuument and escape those fees as well as the attendant excise and other state/sales/local taxes. Look into it b4 you do it...

CMP
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanksguys,
Is there any truth about the CG issuing a new title on a completely rebuilt boat?
Thanks.
Harv

Post by Harv »

CMP wrote:According to my surveyor, there is VERY little benefit to documenting a boat these days. Most states force you to pay registration fees as opposed to years ago wherein you could docuument and escape those fees as well as the attendant excise and other state/sales/local taxes. Look into it b4 you do it...

CMP
Windstar is documented and registered in the state of NY.
Still have to register in NY even if documented.
(everybody wants their piece of the pie).
Harv
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As I understand it, ownership from date of manufacture until now must be traced and proved, therefore fully rebuilt or not, it's still the same boat. In the days of wooden hulls, the documentation numbers were permanently burned into the keel so they could not be removed or altered. Whether rules of old are still valid, the boat had to be made in the U.S.A. and all owners American citizens. I have been witness to a documented boat being stopped and told it needed NY State registration numbers because the boat was docked in Montauk, even though the owner's residence was in New Jersey. That's no small thing as NY State demands an 8+% sales tax on the boat's purchase price before issuing a registration. I don't know how that ended up, but the owner was given a "warning" when I was there. As previously mentioned, I don't know if it matters any more. Check out the new rules and real benefits of documentation. Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Documentation

If you plan to sell the boat it is a quick and easy way to prove ownership and the purchaser can verify there are no leans on the vessel.

If you are in a fishery your boat can be identified for its registered fisheries by the documentation number, also easily searched by vessel name and port.

If traveling to other countries it certifies the vessels origin as US.

It costs roughly $50.00 to document the vessel and renewal is annuall with no cost

If none of these apply to you than normal state registration is easiest.

The down side is that you can find out vessel documentation number, owner name and address just by inputting the vessel name in the national database.

Regarding reissuing a build date. I think you are stuck with the original hull layup information unless you become a boat builder and call it a "cranston 31"

Good Luck.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

JP,
The "Cranston"...That's got a nice ring to it..Hum....
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm just going to keep her registered with the state.
p