good presription sungalsses?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joeh

good presription sungalsses?

Post by joeh »

Faithful,

The pictures that I see on the profiles show that most of you are model like. That said, I am looking for a good and good-looking set of presription sunglasses.

I already have my prescription. I wanted Costa Del Mars but they are terrible with presciptions in trying to use their glass. I am open to a great online group.

I fish and sail and am in Annapolis.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

my usual. WTF??....I seem to remember that JP had great advise about sun glasses. Soon after that he ran Timmy off . I wear sunglasses but need percription ones so I'm limited as to shape.

Terry
Last edited by Terry Frank on Sep 17th, '08, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
joeh

Post by joeh »

Don't you wear sunglasses on your boat?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

I've had excellent results with Ocean Waves..

Prescription was perfect and they have been great with warranty issues.
I've broken the frames twice over 5 years... they replaced them for
$10.00 ea and they included a new set of Croakies each time...

Turn around was about 1 1/2 weeeks...

Ray
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have Costa Del Mar. I need prescriptions also. Its tough finding a local eye glass shop that handles them. If you can ge who ever you go to for your regular glasses to give you all the specs, i.e. center of the lens measurement etc. Costa will make them up.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I get whatever is available from the optomitrist according to my insurance coverage. I pick out whatever frames are covered and usually get the ones that have magnetic clip on sunglasses. The only thing I pay extra for is to have them polarized, which is a must for on the water usage. Look at my avatar picture. Those are prescription with clip ons.
Harv
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most any optic shop can grind lenses to fit just about any frame. If you already have a frame you like, take it buy and let them look at it.

Chain store aren't so cooperative. I found an old timer who had his own store and knew, actualy knew about lenses, optics and grinding.

I think we talked scopes and binocs for an hour.

I did it many years ago with Ray Bans.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I used to date an optician. She told me (verified by every other optical store I've ever vistited) that its very difficult to put a prescription into a wrapped frame. Sometimes it depends on the prescription, but the more extreme the wrap around frame the less likely they'll be able to make them work for you.

I've got a pair of Ray Bans similar to their current model # Flight Pande RB3176. I've had them for 5-6 years. (FYI: Ray Ban's website blows). The shop I've been using was able to use my prescription and use polarized lenses. They do a good job of blocking the wind while running at 23-24 knots.
Regards,

Doug L.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Joe-

I got my Costas (script) at a place on Kent Island. It makes a bid difference who grinds them. 2 of their suppliers said they couldn't do my script, and 1 said they could. The Costas came out well. However, I'll never buy Costas again--they are terrible/non-existent on warranty stuff for prescription lenses/frames.

John

I'll probably try Ocean Waves or Maui Jims next time.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I love my Maui Jims. The Typhoons I am wearing in my avatar are the best glasses I have owned bar none. I have worn glasses since the first grade. I only started wearing contacts in the early 90's. Which frames you can wear depends heavily on your prescription. I am -11 in my left eye and -10 in my right. Generally the larger the lens, the thicker they will be on the outer and inner sides, especially with higher powers. The thickness of the lens at a given size often dictates which frames you can use. The newer denser polycarbonates are often thinner and lighter than glass or other options. I assume that you want them polarized, so that may limit you lens material choices.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

My wife wears Costas with her persciptions. We have had to sent they back twice in eight years and three different perscriptions. To replace frames. Just get the lenses removed by the otimaligist before sending frames to costa. no problems they call looking for lens but no problem.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Mack

Post by Mack »

Joe-
I am on my second pair of perscription Costas in 3 years. I go them at the sunglass place on main st. downtown (next to the hat place and the Yin yankee restaruant). The couple that owns the store are local fisherpeople and understand that there are sometimes challenges with good persciption sunglasses. In fact, I was not happy with my fist set of costas so they swapped out the lenses with something else that compensated for the curved frame. Got my second pair there the same way and they have been great. I am about to go back for pair #3 this winter as my latest pair is worn out from heavy use!

Give them a shot. Tell them you are a local and you fish and they will take care of you.

Where have you been this summer? Seen you boat in the slip more than out. Lets get together for a drink before the end of the season.

Crae
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"